Open Phones: Irene, Your Weekend, and What's Been Cancelled

Friday, August 26, 2011

We continue to update the latest in the preparations for weekend storm with Scott Cronick, City Editor at the Press of Atlantic City.

And ask: How is Hurricane Irene changing your weekend plans? What's already been cancelled? Let us know!

RBC from The Hurricane Zone!

To MBK & Jenny - You're events on the Jersey shore are cancelled! Atlantic City casinos will be closed and they are evacuating the Jersey shore.

To Meghan - The winds will be STRONG gusting to 80mph. There will definitely be some trees down during this storm. The direction of the down trees will vary.

What I will strongly suggest to all drivers is this is the weekend to put your car in a garage. I'd strongly advise to take your car off the street, especially in areas with trees.

Aug. 26 2011 12:01 PM
Mike from Tribeca

Is it too late to start taking swimming lessons? I'm told it might get a bit damp in my neighborhood and I can't even doggy paddle.

Good luck, everyone.

Aug. 26 2011 11:59 AM
Caitlin

I'm trying to get a design project done for a potential job- I have til Tuesday to get it done, but I'm afraid the power will go out!

Aug. 26 2011 11:58 AM
Rajashree Nair from Morris county, nj

We've been going to the open practice sessions on the Sunday before the start of the US Open in Flushing. disappointed:((

Aug. 26 2011 11:56 AM
The Truth from Becky

Wow Brian did you say "Make it rain"? I had now idea you were so hip!

Aug. 26 2011 11:54 AM
MBK from NYC

My daughter's roommate has a wedding this weekend at the Jersey Shore! Can't imagine it's going through, though we haven't heard anything yet.

Aug. 26 2011 11:51 AM
Jenny

A friend was supposed to have her bachelorette party in Atlantic City this weekend.

Aug. 26 2011 11:50 AM
Smokey from LES

How about standard Saturday recycling?

Aug. 26 2011 11:49 AM
Derek

It so typical, I went to the local supermarket and the shelf where the water is normally stacked empty! I passed the beer isle that to was empty? I guess eveyone has their priorities in order?

Aug. 26 2011 11:37 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

What about the Spike Lee's M Jackson Birthday Bash?

Aug. 26 2011 11:32 AM
Henry from Manhattan

I was psyched up to run New York Road Runner’s Bronx Half Marathon, part of their borough Grand Prix series (a half marathon for each borough spaced throughout the year).

Alas, it’s been cancelled.

Aug. 26 2011 11:17 AM
Meghan from 10040

My questions are about the trees and winds in the city.

1. How strong are the winds going to be?
2. Regarding the trees in the city, what is the likelihood that the trees will be blown over?
3. And, which direction will the winds take the trees as they fall?
I live across Broadway from Fort Tryon Park. The trees are quite large.

Aug. 26 2011 10:33 AM
Sara from Brooklyn

The weekly Brooklyn Flea market is resisting outright cancellation of their markets, even though one of them is on the Williamsburg waterfront in evacuation zone A. They sent out an e-mail to vendors telling them that "We're calling a Weather Day for this Sunday only—but not Saturday.
Please do your best to wait until Sunday morning to decide about
selling, rather than based on the insanely alarmist weather reports in
all the media right now."

They will only be issuing partial refunds to the vendors. I'm disgusted.

Aug. 26 2011 09:40 AM