Streams

U.S. Navy Bases Prepare for Irene

Thursday, August 25, 2011

WNYC

As Hurricane Irene churns toward Northeast, U.S. Navy bases in the tri-state area began preparations to avoid a potentially catastrophic event.

“The base is currently increasing its condition of readiness to a level that anticipates the possibility of destructive winds within the next 48 hours,” said Chris Zendan, public affairs officer at the Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Connecticut.

Four nuclear submarines were expected to “possibly leave the port within the next 24 hours,” according to Zendan. That would allow the submarines enough time to reach deep water and remain safely submerged before the onset of high winds and heavy seas that will accompany Irene.

Additionally, the base began preparing for installation of flood gates and the removal of small crafts and barges.

Hurricane Irene was a Category 3 storm on Thursday, and was expected to hit the North Carolina coast by Saturday morning and  impact the New York City region on Sunday.

In Colts Neck, N.J., at Naval Weapons Station Earle, a floating dock and fenders had been pulled out of the water. It is a measure common for a waterfront complex, such as theirs in Sandy Hook Bay, when expecting a storm of this magnitude, spokesman Mike Brady said. Ships that usually come to Earle to load various types of missiles and bombs as they get ready for deployments around the world were not docked there at the moment, which was a fortunate occurrence, Brady noted.

By Thursday, all Second Fleet Navy ships were ordered out of port at Hampton Roads, Virginia, home to the world’s largest naval base, and to sea in order to stay out of the hurricane’s way. Nine ships were already at sea, and 27 got underway on Thursday.

“The forecasted destructive winds and tidal surge is too great to keep the ships in port,” said Vice Adm. Daniel Holloway, commander of the Second Fleet, in a statement. “Having the ships underway also makes them ready and available to respond to any national tasking, including any needed disaster response efforts in the local area after the storm has passed.”

Tags:

More in:

Comments [2]

Marilyn Rey from Cambria Heights, NY

Mr van den Bergh's comment is very astute and correct. Apparently, we Americans never got our hands on acopy of Mr Rougeron's book before Pearl Harbor. However, had Pearl Harbor not happened, we might not have been sufficiently motivated to dedicate ourselves to the destruction of the unfriendly powers that once dominated his country and many others in Europe and Asia.

Aug. 28 2011 12:04 PM
Eric van den Bergh from Haarlem, Netherlands

Camille Rougeron was before the second world war the most eminent naval war strategist. In his book l'avion de bombardement, published in 1936, he wrote that at the outbreak of a war all ships had to leave immediately their basis, where they where most vulnerable against air attacks. Wicely the U.S. Navy follows this advice at the approach of the enemy Irene.
Eric van den Bergh

Aug. 28 2011 04:35 AM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

Get the WNYC Morning Brief in your inbox.
We'll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Sponsored

Latest Newscast

 

 

Support

WNYC is supported by the Charles H. Revson Foundation: Because a great city needs an informed and engaged public

Feeds

Supported by