Nick Lowe on His New Album, "The Old Magic"

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Veteran songwriter Nick Lowe performs live in our studio and talks about his latest album, “The Old Magic.” Lowe has always been at the forefront of modern music, as a producer for The Damned, Elvis Costello, The Pretenders, and as a solo artist.

Nick Lowe
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

John from London. England

Nick is a national treasure to many of us Brits - one of the great things that bridge our two nations! I can't wait for his next album - so many previous ones remain all-time favourites of mine.

Aug. 20 2011 06:20 AM
TP from NYC

Mr. Nick Lowe is definitely one of my favorite songwriters... it's a crime not to have him included in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

Cheers Nick... keep up the brilliant work!!!

tp

Aug. 18 2011 03:49 PM
bob wade from spring lake, nj

Nick sounded wonderful, and he's also a great story teller.

Really enjoyed the segment today.

Aug. 18 2011 01:20 PM
John Browning from New Jersey

Nick, are you really as humble and sensitive as you are representing? You are tongue in cheek, after all.

Aug. 18 2011 12:56 PM

Lovely version of Peace Love Understanding at the end...no anger in it...now I have to go play EC's furious version from when I was a teenager...

Aug. 18 2011 12:47 PM

Aug. 18 2011 12:46 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

Cruel to be kind is one of those songs that will forever be ingrained in my mind. Catchy tune. Whenever I hear it, I can smell the olives and cold cuts from the Italian Deli where I worked in Brooklyn when I was a teenager. :)

Aug. 18 2011 12:42 PM
stuart from nyc

Last year was the 30th anniversary of the only album as Rockpile. Would Nick ever consider a Rockpile reunion tour with the other original band members (who are all still alive - amazingly)...

Aug. 18 2011 12:38 PM
Gr. Villager from Gr. Village

Hello Mr. Lowe,

A friend of mine in Osaka, Japan, saw your recent live performance there and told me he really enjoyed it!

I am looking forward to today's show.

Sincerely,