Kathleen Horan, Reporter, WNYC News
Kathleen Horan is a staff reporter for New York Public Radio, covering the neighborhood beat. She also reports 'Reset', an ongoing series documenting police-community relations in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
As the Verizon strike continues into its second week, both sides say negotiations toward a new contract are ongoing — albeit at a sluggish pace.
Striking workers say they are doing their best to keep the walkout on the public’s radar "not only through carrying picket signs at Verizon garages but also leafleting at Verizon wireless stores — asking people not to buy their products," said Bob Master with the Communication Workers of America.
He said a candlelight vigil is planned for Thursday at the home of the New Jersey home of Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam.
"We’re confident that the message of our strike is getting out and that we can put pressure on Verizon to bring this thing to a reasonable end," Master said.
The two sides have filed competing charges with the National Labor Relations Board in hopes that the federal agency will intervene.
John Bonomo, a spokesman for Verizon, said the company is still keeping up with about 91 percent of customer calls. He said the other 9 percent may include more complicated customer inquiries that could require a call back vs. answering on the spot — or repairs that take longer to process.
But Bonomo said the company is doing a good job, in spite of being down 45, 000 workers on the east coast because of the strike.