Opinion: Rick Perry - Here Comes our GOP Hero

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 12:00 AM

We need a hero. Rick Perry is coming.

He's conservative enough, he's photogenic, well-spoken, has executive experience and he just might save the Republican Party, and the country, from another term of Barack Obama.

As a Republican, I'm excited about Perry entering the race. I have some issues with his candidacy, mostly with the doubt that the country will elect yet another governor from Texas so soon after the last one, but in general I look forward to Perry shaking up a rather lackluster primary season.

He has some amazing successes in Texas to point to and a record of growing an economy with which to challenge the "Downgrade President". Rick Perry might actually be the real thing. Opposition to him by a few Tea Party groups seems based in their support of other candidates and not because of his record. He may be able to unite all the factions of the Republican party. He seems poised to do it and do it well.

As a realist, though, I'm not completely sold on Rick Perry's candidacy and here's why: For the last few political seasons this movie has played out in the exact same way. A boring primary field awaits its savior, the one who will defeat the opposition and bring success to his party.

Howard Dean, Wesley Clark, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson all brought with them the sense that they would be different, that they could energize the base and also win the general election, that they could win and that they would. They all flamed out.

I'm concerned that these spikes of enthusiasm from the base will fizzle out and we'll be left with the ones who were there all along. But now those candidates will look even worse to us as the ones we sought so desperately to replace (see: John Kerry and John McCain). That has a Barack Obama win written all over it.

So I'll wait and see about Rick Perry. I'd love to believe in a savior but I've been burned before. Is this the real one? Time will tell.

Born in the Soviet Union and raised in Brooklyn, Karol Markowicz is a public relations consultant in NYC and a veteran of Republican campaigns in four states. She blogs about politics at Alarming News and about life in the city with her husband and baby at 212 BabyShe can be followed on Twitter.

Tags:

More in:

smithian from Hightstown, NJ

Hey Karol, how's that hero worship working out for ya? Not so well? That's a shame, a real shame. Have fun contorting yourself into loving the Herminator in your next installment.

Oct. 13 2011 08:08 PM
Alex from Brooklyn

If Republicans want to win this time around, they'd nominate Romney. Unfortunately they're all still succumbing to purity fervor, seemingly desperate to fall on the biggest, shiniest sword they can find.

Michelle Bachmann, whose gaze can paralyze woodland creatures and homosexuals with its raw, elemental insanity.

Herman Cain, whose admitted scope of knowledge is limited to small business, Donna Summer and Pokemon.

Rick Santorum whose most sympathetic base I last heard was almost entirely executed by European Monarchy in the early 14th century.

Ron Paul, voice of undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenics, 9/11 truthers and anti-semites everywhere.

And now ~*Rick Perry*~! Why, who wouldn't love to elect another Texas Governor? The independents and swing voters must be lining up to elect a guy who proudly boasts to be less educated than George W. Bush. We'll get to win the south by even *more* votes this time!

(I hate my dumb party)

Aug. 26 2011 05:32 PM
Kevin from Staten Island

The opposition to Perry by Tea Partiers is "not because of his record"? Ha!

He constantly flip-flops on immigration, signed a bill to force twelve year old girls to get HPV vaccinated, builds prisons to generate revenue off of illegal aliens, kidnapped 464 FLDS children (should go over well with Romney supporters), supports the NAFTA superhighway. Not because of his record? Please...

I would be surprised if he did well in the debates because he can't go two sentences without a teleprompter. I think this is primarily the reason why he decided to enter the race so late. Also, he's known to be quite the womanizer. He is a genuine big government dirtbag. I think this is very telling of what kind of conservative you really are Karol.

Aug. 14 2011 03:19 PM
Karol from NYC

It's strange to me that Perry's prayer circle or whatever is such a big deal to some people. Obama made a huge deal of his religion in the last election including getting Rick Warren to lead a prayer at his inauguration. Religion is part of our political reality in the US, like it or not. I don't see any open atheists running, do you?

Aug. 14 2011 12:36 PM
Mark from St Martin

I don't agree with several of Ron Paul's views on what would be best for our country domestically...however I do really admire the type of candidate he is. No candidate is more honest and forthcoming about his political views than he is.

I hope he at least does well enough to have an influence on the race and thus set an example to others that sucking up to the judgmental righteous folks isn't the only way to succeed.

Aug. 14 2011 11:51 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

You neocons like to go on about Reagan this and Reagan that.

Well guess what, Ron Paul is the only candidate endorsed by Reagan!

Aug. 14 2011 02:11 AM
Mark from St Martin

I am trying to envision Reagan or Nixon leading a prayer breakfast or talking about the state they are governing seceding from the union. I can't get there. The Republican party has developed a real talent for either running off people like Reagan, Nixon, Bush Sr or forcing them to modify themselves to fit in (like Romney). I sure miss the ole practical thinking conservatives.

Aug. 13 2011 04:07 PM
Karol from NYC

That's pretty much what people said last election but substitute for "Hillary Clinton" for "Bachmann" and "Obama" for "Perry."

Oh but hey, Solomon, who are the "centrists" running this election...or any election?

Aug. 13 2011 03:38 PM
Solomon Kleinsmith from Omaha, NE

If you want to hand the Democrats a victory, the only way you could assure that more than Rick Perry is Michelle Bachmann. You didn't run any strong candidates this year.

Aug. 13 2011 02:41 PM
DeeCeeGee from NY

No candidate who starts out with an evangelical super prayer rally will ever capture the imagination of the american people. You already pretty much said it. He's just the new girl in school that all the boys are drooling over...for now. Wake me when the inevitable and obligatory scandal is uncovered.

Aug. 13 2011 02:31 PM
Karol from NYC

It's often true that converts are the most zealous so I don't mind Democrats turned Republicans--some of the best conservatives started out that way. Ronald Reagan did.

Aug. 13 2011 08:23 AM
V L W

Seriously, look at Perry's track record! He was a Democrat who changed to the Republican party and has amassed a huge debt in Texas. The only thing he has to run on is his pretty hair.

Aug. 13 2011 01:58 AM