Port Authority Proposing Fare Increases

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Andrea Bernstein, WNYC reporter and director of the Transportation Nation blog, discusses the proposed steep fare and toll increases by The Port Authority of NY and NJ and metro-area politician’s responses.

Drivers, how would a hike to $15 affect your driving habits? Let us know!

Andrea Bernstein

Cap toll and fares increases at inflation rate. from nyc

The PA and MTA should be required to cap increases in tolls and fares at the inflation rate (or perhaps the average wage increase rate). If this means they need to suck it in like the rest of us and make cuts - so be it.

Quite frankly, if the PA didn't cut a sweetheart deal with the Silverstein
properties (?) regarding the WTC site,
most of these budget problems would not have occurred.

That being said, it's time to CAP fare, toll and other fee increases at the CPI.

Aug. 11 2011 08:14 PM
Alison from Hudson County, NJ

Your program about the plan to increase PATH, tunnel & bridge tolls was ignorant & superficial. Ms Bernstein does not know her subject. She reported in a facile and breezy manner that was insulting. I am one of those drivers who drive because I have to: my job hours (healthcare). No, Andrea, most of us who drive are not upper income. The increase in tolls means a comparable increase in bus fares: the overcrowded buses which are seldom on schedule. This will be a very real financial hardship on those who must cross the Hudson. The Port Authority Board consists of wealthy political cronies of the governors. They are divorced from middle and working class reality. They use their position to get contracts to further enrich themselves. WNYC should realize that they serve northern NJ and learn something about the people who live here. Many are former New Yorkers. The 2 states are interdependent - not that the PA or WNYC cares.

Aug. 11 2011 01:44 AM
Joel from Westchester

One of the solutions to the excess trans-Hudson traffic mentioned was to add more tunnels/bridges. Unfortunately, the result will be the "build it and they will come" syndrome. Increased traffic will result -- then we will need more,,, etc., etc.

Aug. 11 2011 12:03 AM

Ha! Thank God for having a kid soon! Three people per car during ALL times is only $2! Nice...I'll gladly come to a complete stop at a manned ez-pass booth for a $2 toll!

My previous statement still stands.

Aug. 10 2011 11:22 AM
PHILIOR from Brooklyn

No question, Andrea Bernstein is a talented journalist. I am listening to her reports once in a while and the frequency of her using meaningless verbal parasites as "you know" and "I mean" is steadily increasing. In a few months it can reach the level of John Schaefer (SoundCheck), who, so far, is a champion on that scale among journalists I know (average frequency - 6.5 tics/min)
The pity is that he is also a talented man who would be pleasure to listen to had he not have this intellectual weakness.

Sadly, this disease is contentious. Another unfortunate victim whose usage of "you know" and "I mean" gradually worsens is Brian Lehrer. This is too bad.

As an immigrant myself whose English is a second language I am puzzled and appalled that Americans pay no attention to the cleanness of their language.

Aug. 10 2011 11:20 AM

Betsy- I know there's been talk of extending some of the PATH station platforms to accommodate longer trains, but I don't know if that's part of the 10-year capital plan these fare hikes are going toward.

Aug. 10 2011 11:18 AM
David

I am forced to drive to NYC due to a mass transit system that does not run when I need to go home. I don't even have the option of biking because the Port Authority closes the bridge between Midnight and six AM.

Who does the Port Authority answer to? Who examines their books? They redefine themselves as private or public as it suits their purposes

Aug. 10 2011 10:55 AM
Gerri from NJ

Look!

This is not just about New Yorkers who come to shop in New Jersey. This is going to siphon money from those of us who can't move from NJ because the house is underwater, and cannot leave the job in NY because jobs are scarce.

Having a car is NOT a status symbol outside the 5 boroughs. There is no way to get to your destination in NJ without one, and there is no way to cross the Hudson to GET TO WORK without paying the troll at the bridge.

Aug. 10 2011 10:53 AM
RJ from brooklyn

And of course both governor's (as well as Billionaire Bloomberg) will consider *absolutely* no millionaire's tax. "Fees" go up on university, transit, ad nauseum, for years now, but "higher taxes" will send the sensitive wealthy running for Connecticut. Actually the Times yesterday said that there's such an influx of wealthy now that Fifth Avenue and, heavens, 102nd Street is becoming an acceptable area to live in. And they keep hoarding their money in businesses that don't hire. And Cameron says there's no relationship between opportunistic violence and decades of stagnant and declining job growth. No not such a leap (and no, I'm not predicting riots here).

Aug. 10 2011 10:53 AM

The PA can eat a d#$%.

Aug. 10 2011 10:53 AM
Betsy from Hoboken

As a Path commuter I don't understand what the extra money would do to benefit the Path trains. Currently I don't see a need for all of the recent flat screen tv's that are every 20 ft on the platforms. If anything the train service has gotten worse since the last fare hike. Trains are late, over crowded, and don't even get me started on the fact that trainsare consolidated together on the weekends (Journal Square and Hoboken share the same train). I refuse to go to the city on the weekends because the trains are crowded.

Aug. 10 2011 10:52 AM
JailTime Sales Tax from montreal

http://www.lehmannstrobel.com/files/pdfs/sales-taxes.pdf failure to pay the sales tax difference by NewYorkers who buy in NJ can cause JailTime. ask Dennis Koslowski former CEO of Tyco

Aug. 10 2011 10:52 AM
jay from Norwalk CT

I live in CT and I took public transportation into bklyn this past weekend instead of driving. It took my 3 1/2 hrs each way because the subways do not run continuously into bklyn over the weekends!!! The cost is the same. I will defiantly drive next time.

Aug. 10 2011 10:49 AM
Heidi

Raising these fares is one more way of burdening the middle class with cleaning up our economic mess. Many people drive because they have to, not because they want to. Additionally, many people who fit this category are already financially strapped and toll fare hikes are just going to further challenge them. Why is it acceptable to raise toll fares but not raise taxes on the wealthy? By the way, not every wealthy person is a "job creator." I would argue that most of them, in fact, are not. And didn't we already learn that trickle down economics doesn't work?

Aug. 10 2011 10:48 AM
JD Reynolds from Connecticut

Let's get to the bigger question. NY/NJ has the worst port facilities - Airport, Bridges and Ports of any port commission in the US. The money is spend poorly and the bureaucracy is far too large with obscene top end salaries. The World Trade center should not have been rebuilt as a business center

Aug. 10 2011 10:46 AM
bob from queens

as far as i know, the attack on the world trade center was an attack on the united states--not an attack on the citizens of new york. so why are we expected to bear the burden of port authority cost overruns on the rebuilding project?

send the bill to the federal government--which already receives more in taxes from new yorkers than we receive in return in services, etc.

Aug. 10 2011 10:45 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Suspect that the PA and Cuomo, etc. are running a "GOOD COP/ BAD COP" farce that we simply cannot fall for...This has to stop...And what's with the focus on bridges and tunnel increases at the exclusion of PATH trains which has a ridership that I do not believe is rich?...And, no disrespect, but I'm getting a little tired of the mildly critical analysis from reporters/ journalists with good jobs who may be just a little out of touch...

Aug. 10 2011 10:42 AM
Ruth from Manhattan

I won't shop in NJ anymore!

It's worth it now because the lower prices I can get by shopping around there and filling up the car.

Aug. 10 2011 10:40 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

The Port Authority another vampire sucking us dry.

As it is, driving is cheaper for a family of 3 coming in from (let's say the Poughkeepsie) to NYC and more comfortable.

Aug. 10 2011 10:38 AM

I understand that fares and tolls probably need to be raised; the other transit authorities in the region have raised their fares since the recession and Port Authority hasn't. And I'm all for keeping the George Washington Bridge from falling into the Hudson.

HOWEVER raising fares for PATH riders by as much as 65% and making the single ride fare higher than the subway for a system a fraction of the size - in a single fell swoop and fast-tracking the vote to just two weeks after its proposed - is just plain cruel and abusive to the ridership.

Aug. 10 2011 10:36 AM

would certainly pay it if i knew it was going to the new hudson tunnel! is there a formal way the public or execs can move to direct increases to the tunnel (and away from silly buildings?)

Aug. 10 2011 10:16 AM