Low-Cost Vacation Rental Websites

Friday, August 05, 2011

Laura Michonski, deputy digital editor of Budget Travel Magazine, compares the various vacation rental housing websites.

Laura Michonski

Nadine from Maryland

To - Nick from UWS

The woman in the San Fran story did not leave her items lying around. Her home was apparently vandalized by the renters. The vandals broke locks and stole her items from where she had secured them.

Here is a link with the details.

Aug. 05 2011 12:11 PM
Nadine from Maryland

"Always have your guard up" is not sound advice. What is a reasonable listener supposed to do with that as far as translating it into conduct? Is there a way to circumvent some of the limitations of airbnb's model? Are there websites that provide more security measures? Real advice would have been very helpful in this segment rather than empty platitudes.

Aug. 05 2011 12:08 PM
Nick from UWS

What the San Francisco story illustrates is the deep stupidity of that person to leave her cameras, iPod etc etc lying around to be pilfered by strangers instead of locking up her valuables like any sane person would do when having people they've never met come into their house unattended.

Aug. 05 2011 11:56 AM
Matt from Brooklyn, NY

AirBnb worked great for me until my landlady found out and was angered by it. She turned my power off for a couple of days (which is illegal) and now there are security cameras installed in the building hallway. i've heard the nyc passed a law that it is illegal to do short term rentals (less than 30 days). is this true?

Aug. 05 2011 11:54 AM
Flora from NYC

My friend was scammed out of large deposit on a rental from Craig's list. Now she knows how to ID a scam.

Aug. 05 2011 11:54 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Bedbuuuuugs?

Aug. 05 2011 11:52 AM
Caitlin

Linda- I told my mom I was staying with a friend of a friend so she wouldn't freak out!

Aug. 05 2011 11:52 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

My husband and I used Airbnb.com when we vacationed in California; we had GREAT experiences. Not only was it cheaper than staying in a hotel, but so much more comfortable, charming and authentic. No need to clear out of the house at 9AM sharp, or eat all meals at restaurants.

We stayed at a great 1 bedroom in the Mission District in SF for $105 a night, and a charming, vintage 1920's bungalow in Venice Beach, CA for $120 a night. We even got free bikes to use.

Aug. 05 2011 11:51 AM
Linda from Brielle, NJ

Just saw Caitlin's comment, my daughter couch surfed in Europe and I nearly had a heart attack when she told me !! She had great experiences though, especially in France. Her friend on the other hand had a scary night in Amsterdam.

Aug. 05 2011 11:46 AM
Linda from Brielle, NJ

I have rented out our vacation home in the Adirondacks for over 15 years now and have had very little trouble over the years. Our home is not a typical vacation rental since we keep it more like a second home. I have used a few websites to promote our home and nothing works better than your own intuition. Be sure to SPEAK with the prospective renter on the phone , not just email. I've dodged a few bullets that way. Several "kids" trying to rent, and a few scammers. Most people have been wonderful and share pictures online after their "vacation".
We also have a studio apartment in Rincon Puerto Rico we rent. I'm much more relaxed with that rental. Since my family surfs, we encourage local surfers to rent from us.

Aug. 05 2011 11:40 AM
Caitlin

I used couch surfer when I went to montreal last fall with a friend- our was great! Our hosts were very friendly, showed us around town, entirely for free (though we did buy them some beer to show our gratitude).

Aug. 05 2011 11:38 AM