Decoding Your E-Mail Personality

Monday, August 01, 2011

Ben Zimmer, executive producer of VisualThesaurus.com and Vocabulary.com, and New York Times contributor, explains how forensic linguists try to detect "fingerprints" in e-mails and other digital writing. His article "Decoding Your E-Mail Personality" looks at the how it's done and what your e-mails and digital writing reveal about you.

Ben Zimmer
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Amy from Manhattan

I got a new laptop last year, which has the edges of the keys much closer together than my previous one, on which the edges slope to leave more space in between. I find I'm hitting 2 keys together much more often. I fix all of these (I hope), but some people might not catch many of them. It seems to me this could be a difference that would throw off forensic investigators.

Aug. 01 2011 12:46 PM
markfrommanhattan from Manhattan

@Ken from Soho: I believe he was referring to the "N" dash (─), which is longer than a hyphen, as opposed to the "M" dash (—), which is longer than the "N" dash.

Aug. 01 2011 12:38 PM
Ash in Chelsea

I think one's email personality may also be a function of one's skill as a typist.

I learned to type back in the 1960s, never thinking for one moment how useful this skill would be in this century. So, my emails are interminably long, but -- I hope -- interesting.

I have one email partner who uses -- or mis-uses, actually -- the ellipses all the time. He does not know that they only consist of three dots. He always uses many, many dots throughout his emails.

Aug. 01 2011 12:33 PM
Ken from Soho

I do one thing that's distinctive, I think; I capitalize the initial e in Email, I prefer this to the more common "e-mail".

Aug. 01 2011 12:28 PM
Ken from Soho

"End dash"? There's no such symbol on my keyboard, only a simple dash, which I use however I wish.

Aug. 01 2011 12:25 PM
William from Manhattan

Interesting episode. In the Zuckerburg case, when the plaintiff (bizarrely, I would say) copied the original emails into MS Word, I assume the forensic linguists open the source file to see if spelling/grammar check made changes to the original style (eg, lowercase internet to uppercase, etc).

Aug. 01 2011 12:22 PM
Brad

I have a good friend that has absolutely no "e-manners" whatsoever. He's the nicest guy in person but consistently leaves poison-pen emails every time something happens he doesn't agree with. It's to the point where I and others just delete his emails instead of reading them. Is this common?

Thanks!

Aug. 01 2011 12:21 PM
Lalena Fisher from Austin

Your note is a treacherous path
Of extra letters I must leap
Twist my ankle in the tangles of
Inverted “i”s and “e”s

Tripping over useless commas
And capitals mid-phrase
Can’t keep track of the point you’re making
It’s all become a haze

Punctuation before an “s”
Is not plural but possessive
It really isn’t you, it’s me
With spelling I’m obsessive

Bad speller
You’re a bad speller!

It’s no wonder you can’t breath(e)
For you lost your silent “e”
And I’m glad that you just can’t bare it
It’s more than I want to see

If you say you’re going to loose your mind
Well could you tighten it a pinch?
And please don’t write me on your stationary
‘Cause it won’t move an inch

Punctuation before an “s”
Is not plural but possessive