Please Explain: Urban Evolution

Friday, July 29, 2011

Jason Munshi-South, assistant professor at Baruch College, and Rob Dunn, associate professor of biology at North Carolina State University and author of The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners That Shape Who We Are Today, discuss how cities and urban environments change the animals, insects—and even bacteria—that live within them. They’ll also cover how natural selection and evolution work and how they study it.

Rob Dunn and Jason Munshi-South

anne

Harv, lots of water bugs can fly. I used to think it was only in the south in warmer climates because that's where I saw them as a kid, so maybe it's certain species that have moved up north. Not sure, but they're terrifying!

Also what were the 7 inch long bugs that woman was asking about?? I've never seen anything like that in the city...

Aug. 01 2011 03:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Hospitals' use of antibiotics, though necessary, puts evolutionary pressure on microbes, so they tend to breed resistant strains. This is why patients are discharged as early as possible--to minimize their exposure to resistant strains.

Jul. 29 2011 01:57 PM
Maria from Manhattan

Is there any other way to eliminate Indian meal moths besides those sticky pheromone traps you get in hardware stores?

I find they're only partially successful, and a lot of moths still flourishing in my house.

Jul. 29 2011 01:53 PM
Maria from Manhattan

Hal, not only that, I thought it was illegal to kill a praying mantis.

Jul. 29 2011 01:53 PM
Hal

The lady saw a praying mantis. Too bad she killed it. They eat other insects.

Jul. 29 2011 01:52 PM
Joe from Englewood, NJ

Are the ants harmed to collect their DNA?

Can you swab the inside of their cheeks?

Jul. 29 2011 01:43 PM
HARV from Midtown

4 weeks ago I discovered a water bug amongst folds of a drapery panel. I shook the panel for the water bug to fall on the floor to swat him. But instead he flew around my living room, mostly where walls and ceiling meet and I never got to kill him. Two weeks later an exterminator said nonchalantly "sure water bugs can fly." Is this unique to NYC water bugs?

Jul. 29 2011 01:42 PM