Backstory: Human Body Part Trafficking

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The global market in human body parts is valued in billions of dollars. Scott Carney, a contributing editor at Wired magazine and author of the book The Red Market, tells us about the organs, bones, and even whole people that are bought and sold every day in a vast hidden economy known as the “red market.”

Scott Carney

Gail Zawacki from Oldwick, NJ

I heard this on the radio in the car. Thank you Scott Carney for doing the hard work to bring this information to the world. The blood slaves segment really got to me. It's behavior like this that makes me think we humans really deserve the horrors of industrial collapse and climate change on the horizon. At first I asked myself, wouldn't I take that blood if it was going to save my daughter's life? And then I thought no, I wouldn't. We all have to die sometime, and the desire to survive doesn't outweigh basic justice.

Jul. 28 2011 03:32 PM
Scott Carney from Long Beach, CA

@Melody: I believe the camp got demolished a couple years ago. Most of the women were resettled, anyway. Though, there is a documentary about it called "The Market" by Rama Rau which is quite good.

@Melody I talk about regenerative medicine in the capter "Immortal Promises". I think it is a promising vein of research, but we are still a long way away from seeing any results.

@MP check out Michael Sappol's book "A Traffic in Dead Bodies"

Jul. 28 2011 02:43 PM
Amy from Manhattan

The book discusses "Kidneyville," a refugee camp in India for tsunami survivors, where a high proportion of women have sold a kidney. Is this camp still open, & if so, why are people still there so long after the tsunami (in 2004)? Why is it mostly women selling their kidneys?

Jul. 28 2011 01:54 PM
Melody from nyc

What about the idea of cloning organs in the future?

Jul. 28 2011 01:47 PM
MP from Brooklyn

I'm trying to check the accuracy of his assertion about the origin of the term "skulduggery," but it seems that my subscription to the OED has lapsed - does anyone know?

Jul. 28 2011 01:31 PM
Scott Carney from Long Beach, CA

In about six years of research I never came across a reliable source who show evidence that doctors harvest organs/tissue from aborted fetuses. I followed up on a few leads, but they all turned out to be dead ends. My guess is that if there IS a black market for fetal tissue, it is exceedingly small.

Jul. 28 2011 12:10 PM
Ed from Larchmont

We are all horrified by trafficking in human body parts, of course. But where do they come from? From abortion. We should be horrified even more by abortion. Probably only after a disaster will be recover our ability to see the sacred value of human life.

Jul. 28 2011 08:24 AM