Amy Winehouse: Share Your Memories

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Singer Amy Winehouse died Saturday in London.

Her album "Back to Black," released in Britain in the fall of 2006, brought her global fame, according to her obituary by the Associated Press.

Working with producers Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi and soul-funk group the Dap-Kings, Winehouse fused soul, jazz, doo-wop and, above all, a love of the girl-groups of the early 1960s with lyrical tales of romantic obsession and emotional excess. In the end, her music was overshadowed by fame, and by Winehouse's demons.

Share your memories on Winehouse and her music below.

(with The Associated Press)

Tags:

More in:

Susan from new jersey

Having struggled with addiction, Amy's death feels personal.

Jul. 24 2011 06:57 AM
Tracy from Surrey

I've just heard the sad news about Amy. I saw her in concert when she first started out and absolutely fell in love with her music. I still listen to her music and always supported her, even though, clearly she was troubled. I love you Amy, you will always be in my heart.

Jul. 23 2011 05:49 PM
Jonathan L from Staten Island, NY

Once in love with Amy
Always in love with Amy

Jul. 23 2011 04:45 PM
stephen didovich from brooklyn ny

I,m not stunned personalitites like her this
is a logical conclusion sometimes the thing
that make their artistry so great ends up
doing them in. so sad

Jul. 23 2011 04:06 PM
Maternitymama from NYC

My old neighbor wrote one of her hit songs...she introduced me to her music and I'll be forever grateful.

Jul. 23 2011 03:53 PM
reuven

I wish those who are part of the music industry, as in managers, agents, etc... would know better how to deal with this dreaded disease of alcoholism and drug addiction. Its so sad to see that the life a of beautiful 27 year old woman has needlessly ended because of this deceptive disease.

Jul. 23 2011 03:36 PM
Arianna from Paris

I listened to Valerie on a loop when I was in the beginning stages of my turbo-crush on my current boyfriend of 4 years (particularly fitting was the lyric "and I like your ginger hair...")

Jul. 23 2011 03:08 PM
Schlomo from Ann Arbor

I went through a breakup of a long-term relationship around the time "Back to Black" came out, and it seemed like the only thing my partner and I could agree on was coping by listening to this great record. I've hoped ever since then she would live long enough to make another great record, but alas...

Jul. 23 2011 03:06 PM