Civil Conversations with Krista Tippett

Monday, July 25, 2011

Public Radio’s Krista Tippett, host of On Being, discuss her upcoming six-part series “Civil Conversations,” which will explore new ways Americans can connect across the bitterest and most divisive issues of our time and offers a model for how to engage with our differences rather than trade easy answers.

Krista Tippett

designdirector

I love "on being" but want to applaud you for asking Julie Burstein to fill in for Leonard Lopate. She has one of the best voices of all the women on air over there. Lately I find myself turning off the radio because the cackling and the "you knows" and generally shrill girlie voices are too much to bear in an already too noisy city. Last thing I want in my own home. I like radio voices that soothe, even if the studio is on fire.

Jul. 25 2011 02:12 PM
Daniel Black from Westfield, NJ

There is a book called "Getting To YES" by Roger Fisher and William Ury that should be required reading for Comgress and every middle school student. It talks about seperating the people from the problem as a basic method for agreement.

Its wonderful to hear Krista on the show today. I enjoy all of your many shows and projects.

Jul. 25 2011 12:45 PM
anonyme

I love listening to Krista Tippett - thanks for this show!

Jul. 25 2011 12:43 PM
yourgo from astoria

The only way to get a dialogue going with the Republican party is for the Democrats to treat them like the bully's that they are and FIGHT!

The Deomocrats arent fighting for what they beleive at all.
FIGHT..

Jul. 25 2011 12:41 PM
jk

"What do we do in an age when cable media outlets have no interest in being civil?"

The first we do is stop watching ALL cable news programming. 24/7 cable news programming (CNN, MSNBC, HLN, CNBC, FBN, and FNC) is a malignant carcinogen that is destroying the country by dumbing down our culture to death.

Jul. 25 2011 12:38 PM
Sophia from NYC

Isn't it possible that we need to have uncomfortable conversations about what's happening in the world; people's beliefs. It has become so hard to do this and stay polically correct at the same time. There has to be a way to do this in a civil manner without letting being PC cripple the conversation.

Jul. 25 2011 12:37 PM
Maude from Park Slope

I heard a show on memorial day where a guest suggested talking to a veteran--and just LISTENING to whatever they wanted to talk about. I hadn't ever even considered that just being listened to might be helpful to a veteran. unfortunately I never did anything about this, I guess mostly because it's scary to talk to someone who is so different from you, and on top of that to talk about something so emotional like what they went through. Anyhow, this segment just reminded me of that show.

Jul. 25 2011 12:28 PM
jmurphy from Long Island

What do we do in an age when cable media outlets have no interest in being civil? When their ratings and income are too attached to being inflamatory and outrageous?

I think as your guest says, it starts with each of us being conscious and open to discussion, not blind followers of the talking heads. We can't let pundits do our reasoning for us anymore.

Jul. 25 2011 12:24 PM
Pordy from Madison, NJ

I absolutely love On Being and agree with the first comment (and I am a non-believer!).

Jul. 25 2011 12:18 PM
jk

On Being is one of WNYC's hidden gems along with The Promised Land and The Moth Radio Hour. WNYC must do more to promote and publicize these outstanding radio shows. It's inexcusable that these shows never get mentioned during pledge drives.

Jul. 25 2011 12:08 PM