Hudson River Sewage Discharge

Friday, July 22, 2011

Cas Holloway, NYC's Department of Environmental Preservation Commissioner, discusses the millions of gallons of sewage released into the Hudson after a fire at the North River Wastewater Treatment Plant in Harlem this week.

Commissioner Cas Holloway

Elizabeth from NY, NY

Please provide full coverage on Brooklyn beach closings. The NYC health Dept. is vague. Parks has nothing.

Jul. 22 2011 10:56 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

thatgirl,

That's a great idea, but think about the last thing you see if you look in the toilet as you flush.

* You can't truck it; you'd have to tank it. There is no fleet of tank trucks waiting for this product.

* You can't dump it. Nobody will accept it.I'd like to mail it to Michelle Bachmann; but I can't afford postage.

* My first comment, about the "good old days" refers to the days before this Century and the 'new' plant; for most of my life, the toilets were plumbed directly to the river.

As to the outflow pipes; I don't know why theere are multiple appearances, but it is probably better, as it "spreads the load."

If you can, get out to Long Island; the temperature at the edge of the ocean will be much cooler. Good luck to all off us.

Jul. 22 2011 10:45 AM
Pamela from Queens

What a disgrace. I am sure this is breaking Pete Seeger's heart.

Jul. 22 2011 10:40 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

bill--so it can't be hauled away in some fashion, the way tons of refuge are every week? how about answering everyone else's questions, while you're sallying forth?

Jul. 22 2011 10:38 AM
Jason from Inwood

I kayaked right through that area yesterday. When I got back I saw the warnings.

I definitely got river water on my hands.

What should I do?

Jul. 22 2011 10:33 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

oops! you let him get away before asking him anything substantive. oy.

Jul. 22 2011 10:32 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

thatgirl,
the other CHOICE is not to flush any toilets or take showers, or wash dishes, or anything on Manhattan Island.

There is no poop storage facility.

Jul. 22 2011 10:32 AM
Trish

FYI - "The Westchester County Department of Health is notifying residents to avoid direct contact with the Hudson River along Westchester County now throughout the weekend." from an email I got through my town's email notification service.

Jul. 22 2011 10:30 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I keep hearing about the effects on the beaches. What about the effects on the river & everything that lives in it?

Jul. 22 2011 10:30 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

Amy, the flounders are very happy about this.
But if it continues, there will be oxygen deprevation, and dead, floating fishes.

Then the seagulls will be happy.

Jul. 22 2011 10:30 AM
Moshe from Flushing, NY

Why was the plant built to use internal combustion engines rather than large electric motors for its pumps?

Jul. 22 2011 10:26 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

good point, moshe!! this seems horribly inefficient, and and an old technology, destined to overheat in this kind of weather!

Jul. 22 2011 10:26 AM
Glenn from Manhattan

How did this fire occur?
Is this person in charge of the North River Sewage Plant?
Why don't you get the person who is in charge of the Sewage Treatment plant to get an answer to question number one?

Jul. 22 2011 10:25 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

why are there multiple outflows if only one location was damaged by fire?

Jul. 22 2011 10:25 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

why was there NO choice to dump sewage in the hudson? this is outrageous!

Jul. 22 2011 10:21 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

Just like the good old days.

Jul. 22 2011 10:15 AM