Brooklyn Boy Was Drugged Then Smothered, Medical Examiner Says

The 8-year-old boy who was killed and dismembered after he was abducted from a Brooklyn street last week was drugged before he was smothered to death, the city's Medical Examiner said Wednesday.

The death of Leiby Kletzky was ruled a homicide the same day Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said a grand jury indicted Levi Aron, 35, in the boy's killing. He pleaded not guilty during his arraignment in Brooklyn last week.

Aron is accused of killing and dismembering the boy after plucking him from a Borough Park sidewalk on July 11.

Kletzky's death was due to intoxication by combined effects of a muscle relaxant (cyclobenzaprine), an antipsychotic (quetiapine), pain medication (hydrocodone) and Tylenol (acetaminophen) followed by smothering, according to medical examiner.

Aron, a divorced hardware store clerk, is undergoing a psychiatric exam at Bellevue Hospital after his lawyer told a Brooklyn judge that Aron had hallucinations and asked he be put on suicide watch.

Earlier this week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly visited the grief-stricken Kletzky family at their Borough Park home where they sat shiva.

"I don't know why God sometimes does some things," the mayor said.

Aron told police in a confession first obtained by and confirmed by NYPD spokesman Paul Browne, the boy first approached him and asked directions to the Jewish book store. The boy then waited for Aron while he visited his dentist.

Aron then allegedly brought the boy home and said he fell asleep watching TV. Aron said when he saw flyers in the neighborhood indicating the boy was missing he panicked and smothered the boy with a towel. He later dismembered the boy's body.

Scratch marks on the accused killer suggests the boy fought back, police said.

Aron's ex-wife, Debbie Kivel, told WNYC that Aron frequented karaoke bars, dreamed of appearing on "American Idol" and wanted kids of his own — and that when she spoke with him a week before the slaying, he seemed to be behaving normally.

"He sounded good and in good spirits," she said, "making jokes like he always does."

Kivel said she never heard him talking of hallucinations or noticed signs of mental instability. The couple married in February 2006, and divorced in 2008. Kivel said they divorced because of “irreconcilable differences,” and that they had a "clash of character."

But Sam Lowy, who worked with Aron for eight years at Empire State Supply in Brooklyn, said he was "creepy" and kept to himself.

"He fits the creepy type," Lowy said, nothing Aron seemed "emotionless" when news that the boy was missing emerged.

With reporting by Mirela Iverac, Stephen Nessen, Kathleen Horan and Matt Joseloff