“Weird Al” Yankovic Brings on the Alpocalypse

Friday, July 15, 2011

Al Yankovic talks about his career creating musical parodies, the release of his latest album, “Alpocalypse,” his first in five years, and his new children’s book When I Grow Up, about a boy who has many different ideas of what he wants to do when he grows up—from chef to snail trainer to gorilla masseuse. He’s also created an app based on the book.

Al Yankovic
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

rh from nj

I agree with Sean from Brooklyn, Weird Al is drawing attention to the stereotypes in popular music. Stereotyping black people as gangsters is on the same level as stereotyping the Amish as churning butter.

TV is much more responsible for perpetuating stereotypes, and usually in a negative manner. And frankly, I've listened to many more Weird Al parodies of popular songs than the originals, because my kids cannot be subject to "popular lyrics" and subject material.

Jul. 17 2011 08:29 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Weird Al's "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" appears along w/Mickey Katz's "Duvid Crockett," as well as Allan Sherman & Tom Lehrer songs, & others by artists I'd never heard of, like the Soggy Matzah Boys' "Man of Constant Tsuris," on "Now That Sounds Kosher." I bought it on CD years ago; it's probably downloadable by now.

Jul. 15 2011 01:08 PM
Joel from Mom's Basement

Will Mr. Yankovic be providing the official music for the 2012 Apocalypse? If so I look forward to it.

Jul. 15 2011 01:02 PM
Loren from CT

So glad to hear such a talented, versatile performer sharing great stories. Bringing me back to the Ritz in the early 90s when I got to see him perform live.

Jul. 15 2011 01:01 PM
Eric from bklyn

Two words: "Spatula City"

Jul. 15 2011 01:00 PM
Ellen from Brooklyn

I agree with Henry. News this week has been so heavy (as it always is, I suppose.) Nice to have Weird Al on to brighten my Friday!

Jul. 15 2011 12:56 PM
Sean from Brooklyn

Wow, A.M. Misplaced hostility much? It is, after all, parody. The original artists are just as guilty, if not more so, of perpetuating stereotypes.

Jul. 15 2011 12:53 PM
A.M. from NYC

"I don't burn any bridges. I don't step on any toes." Just oh, say, those of women and the Amish. Just oh, say, all the members of the many gender and ethnic groups that you demean by presenting sterotypical images of them. And somehow it's counted as a strength that, in three decades, you still don't know any better than to do this? Well done.

Jul. 15 2011 12:50 PM