August's Book: Medium Raw, by Anthony Bourdain

Monday, August 29, 2011

Anthony Bourdain joins us for the Leonard Lopate Show Book Club! We’re talking about his latest book, Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook, the follow-up to his hit book Kitchen Confidential. It’s an account of Bourdain's unexpected voyage from journeyman cook, to globe-traveling professional eater and drinker, to father. Bourdain offers rants and raves, investigations and interrogations of some major figures in food, and he pays homage to the hard working men and women behind the scenes in every restaurant

The Washington Post writes of Medium Raw: “When you read Bourdain, you never quite know what’s going to happen in the next sentence, but you can be sure you’re in for a treat, a shock, a surprise…Anyone who starts this book is liable to lose all control and simply gobble it right up.

You can watch him travel the globe on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations on the Travel Channel!

Anthony Bourdain

I also chose this book for my local club, trusting Mr. Lopate's choice. After reading about the ortolan torture, and being subjected to his boring, unimaginative foul language, I stopped reading and changed our book choice. Mr. Bourdain and the other chefs who ate the poor, abused bird should be arrested if the bird is protected and illegal to import, or at least blinded and stuffed with figs until they gag! Disgusting!

Oct. 13 2011 10:40 AM
donald steinman

Just joined the club and enjoying the interviews.

Don

Sep. 28 2011 10:03 PM
Alison Lands from On the road in PA

I *LOVED* the chapter about the mandatory basic food education Tony advocates for Americans to gain self-sufficiency. The only thing I hadn't ever done myself was gut and roast a chicken, and I went straight out and did it (on a beer can, I'm from TX and have no roasting rack). How empowering to be able to always create something to nurture yourself given whatever you have around you. Hat's off to you, Sir!

I would love to see this course (right along with personal financial literacy). Would Tony also advocate a "sabbatical" component to send students abroad so that they can gain perspective through the world of travel, exotic foods, customs, and cultures? Watching NR, it seems our world has been as big an education for him as any!

Aug. 29 2011 01:42 PM
Laxman from Cranbury, NJ

My father a former diplomat would always say that people in foreign countries will accept you as one of them if you were willing to indulge in their cuisine (much sooner than if you actually spoke their language -even without an accent!!)

Aug. 29 2011 01:02 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Whoa, does Bourdain actually think the best way to keep kids from eating crappy food is to "scare the hell out of them"?

Aug. 29 2011 01:00 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Dave, could you elaborate on your "brunch service" comment? I'm not much of a bruncher (& don't eat out that often in any case), but I have friends & family who are.

Aug. 29 2011 12:58 PM
The Truth from Becky

My brother is a Chef, he has no substance abuse problems but he does have the smug attitude of a Chef!

Aug. 29 2011 12:55 PM
anonyme

I've never heard of him but he really sounds like a crank and a gossip to me.

Aug. 29 2011 12:54 PM

what is anthony's feeling on the closing of El Bulli?

Aug. 29 2011 12:52 PM

what is anthony's feelings on the closing of El Bulli?

Aug. 29 2011 12:51 PM
Olya Shevchenko from New York

I am curious how research is conducted for Mr. Bourdain's show No Reservations. I recently watched his piece on Ukraine and was appalled at how poorly he represented the country both culturally and gastronomically. Although Ukraine is by no means a hotbed of haute-cuisine, there is certainly more to it than caviar, vodka and so-called Chicken Kiev, and also certainly more to the country than an ex-Soviet submarine base and a nuclear disaster site.

Aug. 29 2011 12:50 PM
Jessica from Washington

Anthony propelled his career working at a steakhouse. Does he feel that he, especially with his past substance abuse, feel that he is qualified to pass judgment on Paula Deen and her use of butter.

Also, he has badmouthed vegans. So, which is it? Butter and southern food is making America obese, but having a vegetable-based diet is equally as evil?

Aug. 29 2011 12:47 PM

Please Ask Anthony what he thinks of Rachel Ray and her recipes.

Aug. 29 2011 12:35 PM
Rn Mwangaguhunga from Williamsburg

Would Mr. Bourdain care to respond to Tom Colicchio's statement to Page Six that he is afraid of him?

Aug. 29 2011 12:05 PM
Alex from Brooklyn

Any thoughts on the latest Alan Richman takedown, who gets a sweet mention in Medium Raw, of the Queens darling M. Wells in GQ? Surprised?

Aug. 29 2011 11:43 AM
JAK from New Jersey

Would Mr. Bourdain comment on Frank Bruni's Unsavory Culinary Elitism op-ed in last week's NYT? My female chef/industry -related friends had strong reactions to this Bruni piece. Most agreed that not only does Mr. Bourdain suffer from "Culinary Elitism", but "Penis Elitism" when it comes to women in restaurant kitchens and the industry. I remain, a fan...

Aug. 29 2011 11:29 AM
Mia Martin

Really enjoyed his take down of Alice Waters - she is so self congratulatory about her life & everything she does. She has no idea of how & where the majority of people shop or their food budgets. She is totally out of touch with reality.
Question: How did Anthony stop smoking - he was up to 60 a day - and please God don't say cold turkey!!

Aug. 29 2011 11:02 AM
Ruth Mullen from Bronx, NY

Conspicuous by her absence in Medium Raw...c'mon you speak your mind about everybody else...Padma!

Aug. 29 2011 10:39 AM
Mara from Manhattan

Since he's been to so many countries in both the Mediterranean and the Middle East and seems to have a great interest & affinity for those regions, when will he be going to Israel?

Is a trip there already planned for the show?

Has he been there already & if so can he share any favorite meals he had?

Aug. 29 2011 09:46 AM
maryam

I love Bourdain's adventures, I'd love to read the book, but in my town there aren't any bookstores that would carry it. I wiss I was reading it with you guys. I will just have to take a back seat, from the No Reservations crowd.

Aug. 29 2011 03:34 AM
Dave from Brooklyn

Even though he has been out of restaurant kitchens for some time, Bourdain has maintained a certain status as a mouthpiece for restaurant workers, especially in New York. In the great debate over immigration and undocumented workers I have heard little about the strong bonds and relationships made within restaurants. They are a huge part of the restaurant industry and many who I have worked and cooked with are some of my most trusted and close friends. How can we use the restaurant industry to quell some of the xenophobia nationwide?

On another note, will any non-restaurant worker ever know how awful brunch service is, especially in this brunch-crazed town?

Aug. 28 2011 11:43 PM
Dr. Susan Rubin from Westchester County, NY

I'm a huge fan of Bourdain's books and TV shows.
Now that he has a kid, he will get a new view of the toxic food environment. Will he take a bold stand on school food?
We need him to!
Alice Waters, is too sweet, Jamie Oliver is too focused on TV ratings.
We need some bold action from someone like Anthony who is not afraid to tell the truth!

Aug. 22 2011 02:18 PM
Mary Norman from Tenafly, NJ

Don't know if this went through when I tried before, here goes once again...

I know you live "this side of the bridge" you mentioned it on Bill Maher last week. Why do you think there are so very few interesting, innovative resturants over here? Why are most of them in the land of Oz... I mean NYC.

Aug. 18 2011 10:31 PM
lulu from cos cob

I'm reading Bourdains book. Quick paced, reads like he's on the "lamb" or just flew the coop. It's a fun read.

Aug. 15 2011 01:34 PM