Gluten-Free Diet

Friday, July 15, 2011

Marion Nestle, professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health and professor of Sociology at New York University, discusses the increase in gluten-free living and the nutritional effects of a gluten-free diet.

Marion Nestle

Stacy from Long Island

Please support my petition for the Girl Scouts to offer a gluten free and allergen free cookie. http://www.change.org/petitions/encourage-the-girl-scouts-to-sell-an-allergen-free-cookie

Aug. 02 2011 07:25 PM
Elizabeth Percival from Martinsville, NJ

I was diagnosed with celiac disease at the age of 6, more than 15 years ago, in a time when it was virtually unknown even to the many specialists I visited. Since then, the number of gluten-free resources has exploded exponentially, but my family and I have found that the recent gluten-free "fad" has been clouding the judgment of some news sources.

Unfortunately, Marion Nestle made several incorrect statements and misleading comments. Dr. Peter Green at Columbia would have been a far better choice for an in-depth program on the gluten-free diet. For many sufferers of celiac disease, a gluten-free lifestyle is not a simple adjustment to the natural foods aisle of the supermarket. It is a total overhaul of the everyday routine. At the same time, it is not a death sentence, and the abundance of products available today makes it easier than ever to feel like yourself again.

One in 133 people may be less than 1% of the American population, but that means there are more celiacs than there are type I diabetics or sufferers of cystic fibrosis (more well-known conditions). The condition will only become more prevalent as awareness increases and more celiacs are diagnosed every day

Thank you for attempting to air a story about the gluten-free diet, but it would have been much more helpful to listeners if it were factually accurate and far less morose.

Jul. 15 2011 06:45 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Xtina, thanks for the info about the other grains, but you're wrong about gluten's being the only protein in wheat. There's more gluten than anything else in wheat, but there's also albumin, globulin, prolamins, & hundreds more (see #4 in http://www.ehow.com/how_2163802_know-wheat-allergy-symptoms.html); in fact, looking into this I found that gluten isn't 1 protein but a class of proteins (see 1st paragraph in http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/12838/1/IND43942220.pdf).

Jul. 15 2011 01:02 PM
barent

how about a discussion, around incorporating very wholesome, and, delicious grains,such as millet,kimwah,amaranth,and brown rice. intead of fixating on gluten-free,as, the be all, end all issue.

Jul. 15 2011 12:33 PM
Kathryn from brooklyn

This segment was highly disappointing. I agree with the above comment from Amy. If you really want a serious discussion that is truly helpful, you should get Dr. Green from Columbia University to be on the air. He has been studying this disease for years. Your current "health expert" was not very informed and some Amy Eddings questions could have been better targeted. This is not a fad!

Jul. 15 2011 12:03 PM
Jenny

@David: depends on where you get the pizza. I've had gluten free pizza that's really not so bad. And that's in NJ! (There's even a pizzeria near me that makes it--separate oven and everything.)

Jul. 15 2011 11:56 AM
Jenny from NYC

@Amy from Manhattan, yes there are quite a few grains that contain gluten, barley, rye, and spelt among them. check out glutenfree.com--there's a lot of good info there.

@Amy from Brooklyn, the show was about the prevalence of gluten-free products and why that's happening, not about celiac disease.

Jul. 15 2011 11:52 AM
Eve from New York, NY

Your expert is no expert. Try this segment again with someone who actually knows the realities of gluten and gluten sensitivities. She is ill informed, to say the least.

Jul. 15 2011 11:51 AM

Amy from Manhattan, yes other grains contain gluten including barley, rye , spelt and even and oats, which are contaminated when processed. It's just that wheat is the most common, it's in everything and things you'd never expect - like soy sauce and licorice.

There is no other protein in wheat.

Jul. 15 2011 11:50 AM
Charles from Lake Oscawana

I'll have your share!!

Jul. 15 2011 11:50 AM
Eve from New York, NY

Jul. 15 2011 11:48 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I have a friend who found a few years ago that she was gluten-intolerant. But she also can't eat several other grains, including (I think) barley & spelt. Does gluten occur in other grains? How many people are intolerant of grains other than gluten? (I also know someone who has an intolerance of a different major protein in wheat.)

Jul. 15 2011 11:47 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@ Juli from Skillman, NJ

And vodka is usually made from wheat, unless you use potato vodka--which is out there.

Also, white vinegar is made from wheat.

Jul. 15 2011 11:47 AM

Amy Ettings please learn about the subject before hosting an interview on it. As to your cherry picking of an example of the tennis player who suddenly improved his game - he is Eastern European, this is a group of people who cannot digest gluten. Please learn the facts.

Jul. 15 2011 11:46 AM
David from West Hempstead

Gluten-free pizza is unequivocally the worst thing I have ever eaten.

Jul. 15 2011 11:46 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@ Juli from Skillman, NJ

No it's not true. What the vodka does is keep the gluten from developing and keeps your dough soft and pliable.

Gluten cannot be removed from wheat flour.

Jul. 15 2011 11:44 AM
Debbie from Brooklyn

Everyone keeps saying how awesome they feel after cutting out gluten, so what IS making everyone feel better if gluten isn't so bad?

Jul. 15 2011 11:43 AM
Jenny from NYC

Juli: absolutely not. The gluten is in the flour and unless you get flour made out of a grain that doesn't contain gluten, it's there no matter what.

Jul. 15 2011 11:41 AM
Jenny from NYC

My husband has celiac disease. Before he was diagnosed, he was told he had colitis, possibly Crohns. He had pain so severe he was hospitalized twice for it. He went to colitis specialists. During this time, he had to cut down on a lot of food and was eating a lot of bread and cream of wheat. Finally exhausted by all this, he agreed to see my primary doctor, who helped colitis sufferers through diet. One blood test was all it took to find out he had celiac instead. Neither of us could believe that nobody bothered with this test first, since it's so easy and the symptoms of celiac and colitis are so similar. Especially since he'd been making things so much worse with what he'd been eating without realizing what was happening.

We are both very happy gluten-free is become easier to find. Gluten shows up in the strangest places, like vinegar.

Jul. 15 2011 11:41 AM
Aliza (ah-leez-ah) from Brooklyn

I stopped eating wheat & gluten 9 months ago on a hunch that it was the origin of some my symptoms.
I felt like a new person within days. Wheat and/or gluten was making me moody and tired, and triggering my asthma. I have been tested for celiacs, and do not have it. I am not sure if its the gluten or the wheat, but either way, I would never go back.

Jul. 15 2011 11:40 AM
Amy from Brooklyn, NY

She is not the right expert to be talking about celiac disease. Why not call the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia?

Jul. 15 2011 11:40 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Try to give a dinner party! I swear everyone HAS SOMETHING they are "allergic" to. I find most people self diagnose and don't really know what they are talking about.

Jul. 15 2011 11:39 AM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

Is it true that you can avoid creating gluten in a recipe by instead of mixing flour with water, you mix the flour with a very smooth vodka before baking?

Jul. 15 2011 11:36 AM