Missing Brooklyn Boy's Remains Found in Freezer

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

An eight-year-old boy who disappeared in the heavily Jewish neighborhood of Borough Park, Brooklyn two days ago was found dead and severed into pieces Wednesday morning.

Police discovered some of the remains of Leiby Kletzky just before 3 a.m. Wednesday in a freezer at the home of 35-year-old Levi Aron and his parents in Kensington. Further remains were found in a nearby dumpster.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Aron made statements implicating himself in the murder and told investigators he killed Kletzky after noticing that the search for the child was intensifying.

"He panicked when he saw the flyers and when he saw the amount of activity being conducted by the community and by the police looking for the boy," said Kelly.

Kelly defended the hard-driving efforts by the investigators and community.

"This was a full-court press, certainly by the community, by the police department. Everything that could be done was being done. I think you can't fine-tune it any more than that," said Kelly.

Investigators received a break in the case after discovering surveillance video of Aron entering a dentist's office while the boy waited outside. Investigators found Aron's name on his dental bill, which led them to the suspect's residence.

When detectives asked Aron where the boy was, Kelly said, Aron nodded toward the kitchen. They saw blood on the handle of the freezer door and inside they found three bloody carving knives, a cutting board and Kletsky's body parts.

Police alleged Aron picked up the boy in his car when the 8-year-old got lost walking home from summer camp to meet his mother seven blocks away. Video footage shows Kletzky started walking from the corner of 44th Street and 12th Avenue around 5:05 p.m. Monday. He was supposed to meet his mother at 50th Street and 13th Avenue. Kelly said Keltzky made a wrong turn, bumped into Aron at the corner of 44th Street and 18th Avenue and asked Aron for directions.

Investigation into Aron's background is continuing. Kelly said the only offense they found on his record was a citation for public urination.

Investigators said the Kletzky family, who are Hasidic Jews, did not know Aron. Police describe Aron as an Orthodox Jew.

Kelly said an autopsy of the boy's body began at 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. The medical examiner's office will determine a cause of death.

Aron has not yet been formally charged.

Kelly said although numbers of missing children are high every year, it is tremendously rare to see a case result in homicide.

"This is obviously every parent's nightmare, we realize that, we understand that. But this type of incident is extremely rare," said Kelly.

Tags:

More in:

Nikki from Colorodo

Omg that is so sad. in a freezer!!

Dec. 08 2011 09:38 PM
mamacat

When are people going to learn that you CAN NOT LEAVE young children unattended in the streets these days?! My 12-year-old daughter is not even allowed to walk unattended to her friend's house which sits diagonally across the street from ours. I watch her until I see that she has made it all the way down the driveway to her friend's house.

Oct. 26 2011 06:39 PM
Kristal harris from florida

I still weep for the loss of this little boy ever since i heard the story. i am a mother of a 4 year old little girl. Even though she is not old enough to attend school i worry about the sickos out there and it makes me not want her to grow up....I am so sorry for this family and at times i wish i could go back in time and help...i know he is smiling down on us so god bless him and his little angel heart.

Jul. 21 2011 01:45 PM
Linda

My heart goes out to the family of this boy. I am so saddened by this but truthfully, I cannot understand
why an 8 year old with autism was allowed to walk the 7 blocks to meet his mom. If the mom had walked the 7 blocks to meet him at day camp, he would be alive today. I am not blaming I just can't imagine letting that child walk alone the 7 blocks in Brooklyn.

Jul. 19 2011 04:54 PM
jennifer Donnelly

My heart breaks for the family but u never let a child with a disability go by his or herself I have a daughter with autism and will never let her out of my sights I will follow her forever if that's what's it takes my heart goes out to the family I truly am sorry for your lost. I hope the guy gets the death penalty so he could never hurt another child

Jul. 16 2011 01:07 AM
James from MTL

You obviously have a biased view of the chassidum. These abuses are existing in all areas of humanity. Why do you make more of it amongs chasidum? Could it be that you are a self hating Jew?

Jul. 14 2011 03:10 PM
Roz from Kensington, Brooklyn

I cannot adequately express my frustration at how, in their on-air reporting of the tragic killing of Leiby Kletzky, WNYC reporters repeat the nonsense that the Orthodox Jewish community is somehow typically “safe” and “holy” and immune from violence. The Orthodox community—has at very least—its own fair share of domestic abuse, rape and child sex abuse. The insularity of the community keeps these phenomena under the radar and off the police blotters, but anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of that community knows they exist. Indeed, had Leiby Kletzky not been living in such an insular world, his mother might have taught him that the safest person to approach when you are lost is a woman with children. Had he gone to a black woman with kids for help, a Latina, Indian or Pakistani woman—any of the many women he would have loathed and feared—he would be alive today. Yet WNYC seems happy to perpetuate the ethnocentric tripe that not only helped lead to this boy’s death, but shields from view the abuse of so many women and children on a daily basis. All I can think of to say is--shame on you

Jul. 14 2011 09:38 AM
Cindy from Bayport, New York

I am so sick from this story. It is so heart breaking to hear that there are such monsters in this world. I have an 8 year old son myself and i had to sit and hold him and I cried and cried. I told him of this horrible story because i needed him to know that there are really sick people out there. I told him thats why I always say do not talk to strangers and becareful even when he is riding his bike outside my front door. I usally get the response "I know mom" but I think now he is more aware of the reasons why I say that. I wish I could say something to the parents of this child to ease their pain but there are no words that can help them. Just know we feel your pain, our hearts are breaking for you and you are in our thoughts.

Jul. 14 2011 08:03 AM
VS from NJ

I stopped in my tracks when I heard this, went and wrapped my arms around my own eight year old and five year old who were blissfully playing in the other room. Every parent's nightmare. Unfortunately violence against children is getting worse, and every time I hear about it, I pray that Jesus will return and make the world right, and wipe away every tear from our eyes. (No flaming, please. Thanks.)

Jul. 13 2011 10:30 PM
Elizabeth from USA

My heart really aches for this family and espescially the horrror this child may have endured. I would not have let him walk the 8 blocks. That does not seem right to me for this day and time and he was young.

God bless this family and help them to find peace.

Jul. 13 2011 09:55 PM
bruno lopez from BK

so much pain and so much sorrow...no matter what you wear or belief...we are still at the mercy of evil.
We all need to learn from this tragedy, dogma will NOT protect you,no matter your path.
All my deepest condolences.

Jul. 13 2011 08:56 PM
C. Dember jr from Copiague. N.Y.

My grief at this sad news is all I can offer to family and friends of Leiby Kletzky. May justice be done.

Jul. 13 2011 08:12 PM
Linda

Hey JD, eppi and Mike... shut up....

Jul. 13 2011 07:52 PM
Anatoly from Brooklyn

It is horrible!
I was praying in the morning for that child but later my co-workers told me about all things what happened to that baby ....
Very sorry for his parents also.
I am x-stian but I do not make any difference beetween kids . They are our kids, our future. they will work and support us with their hard work.
How would one even think about?
! death penalty!

Jul. 13 2011 07:50 PM
Lisa from Carmel, NY

I am deeply sorry for the pain little Leiby parents are going through....I can not imagine the fear Leiby was going through when this low life bastard took his life.....I hope his fear and was blinded by the love of his parents and from the community.....I will think of you often.....watch over your family and the community who I know loved you as you were there own because you were there own...You belong to all of us now forever in our hearts and thoughts..God bless you Leiby you are off to do Gods work.

Jul. 13 2011 07:48 PM
rharris from georgia

I have two boys becoming preteen and I know the struggle mothers go through when we have to just let our children go to a public bathroom. M y heart goes out to all those who knew and loved Leiby. my question is why have him walk 7 blocks? Was that usual for him to do?

Jul. 13 2011 07:39 PM
eppi

Bruce,grow the hell up. You are a moron.

Jul. 13 2011 07:39 PM
Anatoly from Brooklyn

It is horrible!
Very sorry for his parents also.
How would one even think about?
! dead penalty!

Jul. 13 2011 07:11 PM
Corinne from bklyn, ny

I cried, literally wept, and heaved when i heard about this baby , and what he endured . I dont know you lieby but i feel u could be my lil brother, my neighbor, my son, or my lil cousin. I pray for his family to have strength thru this hard time. He is amongst angels as he should be, say hi to a lil girl named Kaylee Anthony as well. To the monster , i habve no words he is to be judged by a higher power.

Jul. 13 2011 06:30 PM
barent

it's amazing, how, we can feel, that cruelty for cruelty, is the solution to a horror. it is said, that the people you most hate,are in many ways the most like you. perhaps, that is why the taliban don't like us, and, we don't like them. we mirror each others barbarism.

Jul. 13 2011 06:04 PM
Andrew K from Phoenix, AZ

this piece of shet will get whats coming to him in prison.

Jul. 13 2011 05:55 PM
Mad718 from Bronx, mott haven section.

First off.... My Deepest condolences to the Parents of Leiby. I can't imagine the pain you both are going through. i literally cried for your loss, (and it's very rare that i shed tears). Although we have different faith's, there is only one Heaven and one G-D.
This Aron character will be JUDGED, therefore, be at peace with the knowledge that he will feel G_Ds Wrath for killing one of his little angels and that his punishment will be eternal.
May you both find the strength to get you through this time of sorrow, may your little Leiby rest in peace. God Bless.

Jul. 13 2011 05:52 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

My heart goes out to Leiby Kleztky's parents. What a horrible and despicable crime that was committed against their child. Thankfully, the perpetrator has been caught and can be brought to justice.

Jul. 13 2011 05:49 PM
Kim in LA from Los Angeles

This is the saddest news any family could receive. May God bless your family and may justice be served to those guilty of this horrific crime. This world is a mess and these people are sick.

Jul. 13 2011 05:33 PM
Phil from NYC

I just started to let my own 10 yr old son walk 4 blocks home from school .... This is terrifying .... I think of what happened to that boy and I cry , time and time again. Senseless ! This man is the true face of evil . The parents seam like they were doing the right thing , meeting him half way , and then this happens . It makes me question humanity and the monsters among us ... I am not a religious man but my prayers are with everyone affected by this horrendous crime

Jul. 13 2011 05:18 PM
adrienne from Upper West Side

To the parents and family of this lovely little boy:
May G-d comfort you among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Jul. 13 2011 05:12 PM
charlinerubinstein from monsey ny

this country needs to reinstate capital punishment,this is the only just way to bring about some balance ,if society lets a murderer get away..............prison is not a solution and we have better things to do with our tax money,than to give food and shelter to a criminal.
A life for a life.

Jul. 13 2011 05:07 PM
penina from brooklyn from blkyn

let me just say the thought of this act of a any person child or parent is nuts he must pay for his actions and he defenitely did this before iwill pray for you our lil angel in heaven and keep ur family safe fly high we will get justice for you we promise that there is a stranger amongst us he lives here in blkyn damnit get rid of the bastard

Jul. 13 2011 04:59 PM
Et from Fresno

Does this mean the killer will go free, because we don't know the exact cause of death. (Casi Anthony)

Jul. 13 2011 04:56 PM
SS

I am completely heart broken and shocked that an individual can be so heartless an cold. My prayers go out to this family. This was a horrible turn out and I pray that guy gets what he deserves. Someone like that doesn't deserve to live. What has this world come to when anyone, especially and innocent child like Leiby Kleztky's life is taken in such a brutal way :(

Jul. 13 2011 04:53 PM
SAD from Chicago

This is horrific! I am truly sad for the family of this little boy. May he be at peace and may his family be comforted by God's love.

Jul. 13 2011 04:41 PM
Kristen from Queens, NY

I just want to say how saddened I am by this story. As a mother my heart breaks for this boy and his family. As a human being I am sickened by the person who lived amongst us. I hope there is a special place in hell for him. The poor little boy. May God bless his soul.

Jul. 13 2011 04:35 PM
Scott Mahnken from Jersey Shore

No time for politics nor pointing fingers. They have the criminal and he should rot in hell. Time to pray for the parents no matter your religious beliefs they are victims of a crime that nobody should ever experience. The child in now an angel - the reason - we'll never know. My prayers to the mom and day, may you somehow find sense and peace.

Jul. 13 2011 04:24 PM
Myra Lewis

My heart breaks for this family. My prayers go out to them and I hope that one day you can find peace.

Jul. 13 2011 04:23 PM
Frank from brooklyn

may this child rest in peace... and i cnt believe u bums are arguing amongst each other bout things that are irrelevant to this, your adults arguing like children, im 17 and have more of a sense of respect then you disgraces.

Jul. 13 2011 04:14 PM
JD from Staten Island, New York

Hey Bruce from Brooklyn......first off a child is dead so do us a favor and don't preach this Staten Island people are trash Bull ok. This child was killed by a Brooklyn man in Brooklyn so who is the trash? The man and or men responsible for this childs death deserve severe punishment, however that never seems to happen and it's a shame. Criminals have no fear of punishment bc our judicial system has failed us time and time again. It's a shame. May this child rest in peace and god willing justice be served.

Jul. 13 2011 04:09 PM
miggy from staten island

Terrible tragedy....my prayers to the family and friends of this young boy...
Bruce from brooklyn, I agree that this is no arena for politics, however staten island has a massive orthodox jewish community who I'm sure mourn this young soul as do the rest of us... please be more careful in your verbiage in future comments

Jul. 13 2011 04:04 PM
cdelvalle from bayonne,nj

what caused this sick person to take him anyway?how many other children are missing and may have never been found? could it have been the same man? this child only asked for directions. what has our nation come to? I feared the worse but prayed for the best.. omg!!! y allow him to live in prison? why allow him to eat and drink? he will still have his life even if it is behind four walls. maybe we should start to rid the cells of ppl that do things this bad and more so to a child. not save them and feed them and allow them to live.

Jul. 13 2011 04:01 PM
MIKE from Staten Island

TO ALL THOSE FOOLISH LIBERALS WHO DON;T BELIEVE IN THE DEATH PENALTY. THIS IS WHAT YOU GET. Fry THIS PIECE OF HUMAN CRAP.May God have mercy on this poor childs soul.

Jul. 13 2011 03:44 PM
D. Bernstein

My heart goes out to the Jewish community who knew and loved this little boy. I am deeply saddened that certain individuals are so jaded and could harm an innocent precious child. Our nation is in desperate need of repentance.
America needs a great awakening unto the Almighty. There is no reverence in the land for a Holy Deity. My heart weeps for the condition of our nation. My the G-d of peace comfort the family and friends. Amen.

Jul. 13 2011 03:44 PM
Jean from Houston, Texas

Execution by drawing and quartering is the only punishment that is good enough for these monsters. They don't deserve to go to prison. They don't deserve food and water and a safe place to sleep. They don't deserve a place on this earth. My heart weeps for the parents. I am so sorry for their pain. God bless them and help them find peace through there faith.
Jean

Jul. 13 2011 03:37 PM
NATALIE VEGA-CANALES from NEW JERSEY

I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I GREW UP IN BROOKLYN, NOT TOO FAR FROM THIS AREA & I AM SHOCKED!! MY HEART & PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS LITTLE BOY'S FAMILY.. ALTHOUGH WE DO NOT SHARE THE SAME RELIGION WE SHARE THE SAME CONCEPT THAT "HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE NOW WHERE HE CAN NEVER BE HURT AGAIN". I ALSO HAVE TWO BOYS AGES 10 AND 8 MYSELF AND I COULD NOT IMAGINE LOSING ONE OF THEM.. I AM DEEPLY SORRY FOR THEIR LOSS..

Jul. 13 2011 03:31 PM