Former DA Morgenthau Defends Successor on Strauss-Kahn Case
Thursday, July 07, 2011
A longtime former district attorney praised his successor for how he handled the sexual assault case against ex-International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
Robert Morgenthau said Manhattan DA Cy Vance Jr. — whom he endorsed after he retired from 35 years on the job — has upheld the office's commitment "to seek justice over everything else" in a statement issued Thursday.
Vance faced criticism after prosecutors revealed last week that their high-profile case against Strauss-Kahn was weakened because his accuser had a histroy of being untruthful.
Strauss-Kahn denies allegations of sexually assaulting the woman.
The news comes a day after Kenneth Thompson, the woman's attorney, asked Vance in a letter to recuse his office from the case and appoint a special prosecutor.
Thompson said he thinks the DA's office is the origin of media reports attributed to anonymous sources that the woman mentioned the French politician's wealth in a recorded telephone call to an incarcerated friend.
A spokesperson for the DA's office said the request is meritless and prosecutors disagree with how their work has been characterized.
With the Associated Press