NYC Blacks Moving South

Thursday, July 07, 2011

The 2010 Census showed that the African American population dropped in New York City by two percent. WNYC reporter Arun Venugopal discusses the migration of blacks from New York City to Southern locales.

Arun Venugopal

April from Manhattan

Fellow New Yorkers, I grew up in the South and was in the Civil Rights Movement, like many whites, no one has mentioned that Giuliani's cops killed an unarmed black man every two weeks, and that now blacks and hispanics are targeted and stopped for "furtive movements". An African American neighbor has left for Virginia for that reason alone.

Jul. 24 2011 06:47 PM
RBC from NY

The vast majority of Blacks move down south to improve their quality of living. Living expenses are far lower so home ownership rates are high. There's plenty of space so people get air and space, two things desperately lacking up north. Taxes are lower. Also, there are more low to mid skilled jobs in the south, so many blacks are able to find work that suits them.

Jul. 11 2011 02:06 PM
Marlene from East Orange, New Jersey

I was born and raised in the Chicago area, and I also lived in DC for over 10 years. When I got engaged, I moved to the South (Columbus, GA). Even though the engagement didn't work out, I loved the warmer weather and more reasonable cost of living so much, that I decided to stay (I left Columbus for Birmingham, AL, then Atlanta, GA). I moved north to attend grad school, but as soon as I complete my program, I'm heading south again. I hate shoveling snow, and for the price that I'm paying for rent and car insurance, I could be putting toward a mortgage in a beautiful, single-family home in an area also rich in culture and diversity.

Jul. 07 2011 01:18 PM
The Truth from Becky

Choose your neighborhood wisely...don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire by making a lateral move from a northern ghetto to a southern ghetto especially if you have children, they will benefit greatly!

Jul. 07 2011 12:15 PM
MikeT from bedstuy

I am in the process of moving and saving, cant send my kids to the public schools, public transit is horrible and not time considerate and for a family of four its becoming not practical if you not making six figures. Your going to pay no matter what so why not attempt to live better? whats the benefit of smelling weed in the morning, picking up chicken bones in the afternoon and dealing with crime daily. Come on!! I brought my house for under 250 and now homes are selling for close to 600K who can offered that? and you say Gas is consideration, I say quality of Life is more of consideration.

Jul. 07 2011 12:11 PM
The Truth from Becky

Gentrification wins in NY!

Jul. 07 2011 12:07 PM
Sam from Manhattan

The South may be hospitable to African-Americans, but it's not such a great place to be Jewish. My sister moved to Mobile, AL six years ago, and has yet to find a community where she's truly welcome as a non-practicing Reform Jew married to a non-practicing Baptist. So much of the culture of the South seems to be Christian church based: the pre-schools, the private elementary schools, women's groups. She has found some friends, but she still feels very outside the norm.

Jul. 07 2011 12:06 PM
Patricia Spears Jones from Brooklyn

don't have a chance to call. As an Arkansan who moved here and who goes back to the South each year, I find this "romantic" view of the South does not mesh with the truth. Those leaving are those who can move-the middle class/professionals,etc. for whom quality of life may be improved with a move. But along with some of the most repressive state governments in this nation (SC, GA, ALA) there is plenty of crime, limited services (public education, parks, etc.) and a broader cultural life remains a work in progress. I think the key issue is property ownership which is why many find the South so appealing. Given the housing market --now is a great time to buy anywhere but NY.

Jul. 07 2011 12:05 PM
Janine from NYC

Fine, but are there jobs in the south?
NYC may be expensive but the costs of having a car and the upkeep of a house are significant and may negate the advantages of living in the suburbs.

Jul. 07 2011 12:02 PM
Ed from Larchmont

New York is the abortion capital of the country, how can it be a peaceful place to live?

Jul. 07 2011 12:01 PM
Simpsmovbl

Isn't this simply the middle class separating from the poor (and rich)? In this case black.

Jul. 07 2011 12:00 PM
Bob from Pelham, NY

Before moving south for the public schools, people might want to check yesterday's news stories on the rampant test score cheating by principals, teachers and school administrators in the Atlanta school system. The school performance may not be what you think.

Jul. 07 2011 11:59 AM
The Truth from Becky

Spot on caller, the very first two caller were from the Caribbean. Guess they are lumping us all together now as well.

Elizabeth: you have to know that ignorance was isolated to that person that you were speaking to.

Anyone moving from NY to the South had better prepare for the culture shock!

Jul. 07 2011 11:58 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I still vaguely recall when Blacks were moving in droves into my formerly mostly Jewish neighborhood called Brownsville in Brooklyn, and now have managed to live long enough to see so many now moving back South. They say, if you live long enough, you get to see it all. Perhaps too much.

Jul. 07 2011 11:58 AM
Edward

Don't leave! The suburbs suck, believe me. It's not what it's cracked up to be. What you save on housing will end up filling your SUV's tank due to having to drive everywhere.

Jul. 07 2011 11:53 AM
Elizabeth from NYC

I talked with a woman whose family is from Africa, (not sure which country). Anyway, I was surprised to hear her say that the quality of life was better there because people owned their own homes without mortgages and had less economic insecurity than they do here. Who knew?

Jul. 07 2011 11:52 AM
The Truth from Becky

Things that make you go hmmmm...Funny how this coincides with the white people moving into the lower income neighborhoods of NY.

Jul. 07 2011 11:52 AM
Tracy from NYC

The increasing cost of living makes it impossible for african americans and caribbean americans (like the Trinidadian woman in the clip yuou played) to make a life here. Why travel to a new country if you can't own a home like you did in your home country?

Jul. 07 2011 11:50 AM