Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction that Changed America

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Les Standiford and Detective Joe Matthews describe the 1981 abduction and murder of six-year-old Adam Walsh—unsolved for over 25 years—and how it changed America. Before Adam Walsh there were no faces on milk cartons, no Amber Alerts, no National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, no federal databases of crimes against children, and no pedophile registry. Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction that Changed America reveals how this crime captured public attention and how its aftermath altered America and our ideas about childhood.

Joe Matthews and Les Standiford

Mr. X from Canada

I can't believe how much the issue of missing children has changed since just 1981, which seems so recent from a historical viewpoint! I could understand the lack of procedures in say, 1920 or '30, but 1981?

Sep. 04 2011 01:21 PM
ezra

not always the patients, rememeber serial killers have families, you know. Abortion is a whole other topic. Blame your politcians, you voted for them, or did you?

Jul. 08 2011 12:34 PM
The Truth from Becky

This is still the saddest story I have heard in my life.

Jul. 07 2011 12:32 PM
D from NYC - Hollywood, FL native

I went to elementary school with Adam Walsh. I was in his class. His kidnapping was terrorizing to my friends and me. As an adult, it's interesting to look at it from the big picture with the policy change that came about and all that John Walsh has done.

Jul. 07 2011 12:22 PM
Ed from Larchmont

It's heart warming how concerned we become about missing or abused children, really. But we are sadly indifferent to unborn children, who are being slaughtered.

Jul. 07 2011 12:13 PM

isn't it usually the parents or other family members who kill these kids

Jul. 07 2011 12:10 PM