Money U: How to Pay For College

Friday, June 24, 2011

Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Fastweb.com and FinAid.org and author of Secrets to Winning a Scholarship, offers advice on paying for college.

Listeners: Do you have questions about the FAFSA, college loans, scholarships, or anything else about paying for college? Call us at 212-433-WNYC or ask your question here!

Mark Kantrowitz

Vanessa G

When I was starting college, I remember coming across this info graphic that gave me basic, yet helpful and fun, information and statistics for being on a student budget. I don't know if it may be of much help, but it may be fun to check out... http://www.westwood.edu/resources/student-budget/

Jun. 29 2011 07:27 PM
sandra f/ny

my younger son is heading out to the University of Texas in Austin to be a freshman. The difference of tuition for instate and out-state is so big! do you have any advise in how to become a resident of texas?
He did not receive any scholarship and the first year of the allowance for FAFSA is so small.

Jun. 25 2011 08:27 AM
carmelo sapuppo

Hello Mark,
My son is going to start college this fall and my wife and I had a reasonable income but unfortunately my wife got sick at the end of last year and eventually died at the beginning of this year. Well our financial situation have change dramatically and my income tax of last year does not represent what is going to be this year. I have send a letter to the college explaining that but they are not offering any help. Do I have any other alternative??
Carmelo

Jun. 24 2011 04:06 PM
Fred from Westchester

If we have paid off our house and have no debt with an income around $180,000 do we have any hope of receiving aid for suburban kids who lack diversity.

Jun. 24 2011 11:47 AM
M Manley

What about any scholarship help for Canadian students or overseas students?

Jun. 24 2011 11:43 AM
Aunt Tia from Nj

I have two questions....I'd like to create a college account for a child but I don't want her to be locked into any particular state's schools. Is there an option similar to the 529 which is not state specific?

Also what is the best way for a non-parent to contribute and save for a child's education (an aunt or grandparent for example)

Jun. 24 2011 11:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Are any of these resources available to would-be college students who are well beyond high school age, at either the undergraduate or the graduate level?

Jun. 24 2011 11:40 AM
marcio from Brooklyn

If you've been educated abroad, how do you measure your GPA (given there's no GPA in other countries)?
Thanks

Jun. 24 2011 11:40 AM
Alex from Manhattan, NY

I'm looking at scholarships for grad school. There seem to be a lot available outside of my institution - do you have recommendations for seeking these out? Resources?

Any tax recommendations for couples with one person in school?

Thanks!

Jun. 24 2011 11:38 AM
Brandon

Please remind your listeners that there are absolutely no consumer collection or bankruptcy protections on student loans. Defaults are actually more profitable to lenders through fees and compound interest.

Jun. 24 2011 11:36 AM
Chuck from NYC

hi. i owe $220,000 on my student loan!!! don't ask how, but at 8.3% interest, the original loans double and quadrupled over time. now i am partially employed, can only pay the interest ($900 a month) but not the actually monthly installment ($2600 per month). I am desperate. I have already "consolidated" my loans with the citibank, so I have no other options. Or do I?

Jun. 24 2011 11:33 AM
Aferdita Uku from Dumont NJ

I was wondering what the difference between unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Federal Plus Loan is.

Jun. 24 2011 11:33 AM
Larry from Williamsburg

I would like to hear about the "discount rate" that private colleges have. The enormous sticker price of private colleges is actually rarely paid by anyone.

Jun. 24 2011 11:32 AM
Jon Haseltine from NYC

Hi Mark - What's the best way that we can help students and families see the FAFSA as a "gateway step" to post secondary education? And how many students don't realize that they can get federal aid through the FAFSA and therefore don't even apply to schools after high school?

Jon

Jun. 24 2011 11:30 AM
john neglia from Union NJ

What is your reccomendation for a family who already has "in the bank" all the funds necessary to pay for the next four years of college? My daughter is starting this fall. Considering tax breaks, what is the best strategy?
John, Union NJ

Jun. 24 2011 11:28 AM
steve Phillips from Pleasantville, NY

My son is going to do undergraduate studies at a university in Belgium. This is not a program of a US college. We have had great difficulty find financial assistance for foreign university studies.
Can you help?

Jun. 24 2011 11:27 AM
Tatyana from new york, ny

I just graduated Rutgers and have about 50,000 to pay in student loans. I currently work as a lab manager with 32k a year and was wondering if it makes sense to continue paying off loans now rather than waiting until I'm more established financially. My parents are currently helping me out a little to pay off my loans but I have to pay around 300 per month and pay for rent and other expenses.

Jun. 24 2011 11:25 AM