New Littles: Ecuadorians, and a Call for Artists

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Each Thursday in June, the Brian Lehrer Show and Andrew Beveridge of Social Explorer will discuss New York’s diverse communities - areas of ethnic concentration that are changing quickly or that you may not know about.

New York State Assemblyman Francisco Moya, the city's first Ecuadorian-American elected official, talks about Little Ecuador in Corona.

Check out the interactive map below, highlighting Ecuadorean pockets in the NYC area.

Andrew Beveridge and Champa Norgom
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Brendan

Hi guys- I'm curious what you would consider to be the best place in Corona to watch the Ecuadorean national soccer team?

I'm working with ESPN on a mini-series about all the best places in NYC where expatriate communities gather to watch soccer.

Would love to celebrate Ecuador...big match vs. Uruguay on 10/11!

Thanks for any insight.

Sep. 30 2013 02:05 PM

I'm Ecuadorian, and my thesis is that NYC is the 4th largest city of Ecuador! I have been in NYC for the past 3 and a half years and I'm very proud of how we maintain our links to our country and stick together. I feel at home here. Brian, I appreciate this piece it's very exciting to bring attention to issues that are relevant to my community, I look forward to more about Ecuador besides tourism and hate crimes! I have to say that we ecuadorians have been migrating to NY since the 70s and we're not new to NYC, our population increased in NY in the past decade because of the big impact that the currency change from our national currency to dollars had in our lives in 1999. As a matter of fact most of us fled Ecuador during those years, it would be interesting for public media to have more information about the background of new littles like us, this is a good opportunity to talk about who we are, our country has more than 13 indigenous nationalities and the same amount of languages spoken, we're indigenous and black not only mestizos, or hispanics as you call us. Again, look forward for more pieces about Ecuadorians in NYC...

Jun. 25 2011 05:45 PM
Prerana

I've been working in Corona at the Queens Museum for the last 7 years, with Ecuadorian colleagues at times. The community here has been amazing and vibrant, partnering with me on everything from Inti Raymi celebrations to showcases of Ecuadorian contemporary art. For those who want a glimpse of film from the country. Check out the IV Ecuadorian film showcase starting Julne 28: http://muestradecineecuatoriano.com/. Full Disclsoure - QMA is hosting one of their screenings on July 8 along with dance and music from the country. After which you can stroll down Roosevelt ave for some good food!

Jun. 23 2011 07:31 PM
paola from Woodside

Blake - if you are looking for food pertaining to the folks from the coast of Ecuador then you can go to several places in queens. My personal favorite is Esmeraldas. In Elmhurst. On Corona Avenue. Good Prices , Fresh and good. There is one on 103 and Roosevelt that is also coastal .. A vast majority of the restaurants you will find are owed by folks from the Mountains aka "La Sierra" good too but stuff is prepared differently. The coast is more traditional and involves for seafood. Sierra is more grainy foods. meats. Pork etc. enjoy!

Jun. 23 2011 01:21 PM
Sabine Heinlein from Sunnyside, NY

Check out my Sunnyside multi-media blog sunnysidesoundproject.org and experience how many "littles" there are in Sunnyside alone!

Jun. 23 2011 11:02 AM
Eli from NYC

I moved Tremont/Gand Concourse neighborhood from Ecuador in 1983. There was a large group of Ecuadorians living in the neighborhood.

A majority of Ecuadorians living in Corona are from the Highlands/Sierra, while folks from the Coast/Costa lived in the Bronx.

Jun. 23 2011 11:00 AM
pliny from nyc

Recently Ecuadorian gangs in Italy were involved in the beating and killing of Roma [gypsies] in Italy.
Is there a gang involvement in the NY community?

Jun. 23 2011 10:59 AM
Blake from Williamsburg

My wife is from Ecuador and we just moved to NY last year. We had no idea there was a Little Ecuador in Queens and it's great to hear it exists.

Does anyone have recommendations on some Ecuadorian restaurants in this area?

Jun. 23 2011 10:58 AM
Leandro from Rye, Ny

Very proud to b ecuadorian, or any way it's supposed to be written, any time I walk those streets I feel like home, at one point it feels like " we speak english" signs are going to appear. Love my colors and how people dont lose their cultural backgroud.

Jun. 23 2011 10:58 AM
Leandro from Rye, NY

Pupusa is from El Salvador not Ecuador!!! ask for llapingacho Brian!

Jun. 23 2011 10:57 AM
asdf from Little Ecuador, NJ

we've got a huge grouping of ecuadorian immigrants -- very few of them speak english relative to other spanish speaking and non spanish speaking immigrants.

just yesterday our local pta realized that this issue has become enough of a problem that even though it is unpc it needs to be addressed as an issue.

are you involved in getting ecuadorian immigrants to learn and use english and get involved in their local communities and schools? with the flood of immigrants it would be very helpful in terms of creating and maintaining healthy communities.

Jun. 23 2011 10:57 AM
carolita from nyc

thank you for the 'i", from this little half-ecuatoriana! I don't live in Corona (I like it there, saw it when I was tree-counting for the parks dept), but I do have this, midtown:

Jun. 23 2011 10:56 AM
carolita from nyc

hey, all my life I've been half Ecuadorian. With an I! Not Ecuadoran.

Jun. 23 2011 10:52 AM