Outer Borough Taxis

Monday, June 20, 2011

Mayor Bloomberg is asking Albany to enact his plan to get more taxi coverage outside Manhattan. WNYC reporter Kathleen Horan explains the proposals and the complications.

Kathleen Horan
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Caroline from Bronxville

Pirate Cabs are THE WORST~!

They are muggers on wheels. My boyfriend and I took one from Grand Central to Tribeca on Dec. 19. As soon as we were in the car, the driver started circling around Grand Central, demanding we pay him 120$ for the ride. He refused to let us out of the car till we paid him 60$. We should have paid him nothing, since he ultimately dropped us off in the wrong place. Thankfully we got his liscense plate #

Dec. 21 2011 06:02 PM
billmkyzl from manhattan

yellow cabbies dont like to leave manhattan because they cant get a ride back due to the illegal pick ups. gypsys are being rewarded for years of breaking the law. now yellows will have no chance of getting a ride back.

Jun. 21 2011 11:42 AM
Paul from Manhattan

As Kathleen Horan pointed out on the show, the ONLY reason the Mayor wants to SELL yellow cab medallions is to make money for the city.
His Honor has been working on his legacy since he came to office, and will spare no expense to leave office as the great coffer filler. This does not help the outer borough customer or the individual taxi driver.
However, Black cars must have meters so that the city can collect taxes from all these cash fairs and stop TLC and NON TLC cars simply picking people up off the street. I see it all day and night.
The TLC needs to work on a way to know if an illegal street hail has just been made.

Jun. 20 2011 12:24 PM
Calls'em from McLean, VA

The yellow cabs have already been killed by the banks & law firms that switched to the "black car 'limos.'" You left out all discussion of this.

As for "outer boro" medallions, they ought to be far more expensive like $50,000 and far fewer - many of those car services are fairly unreliable. Perhaps there can be exchanges where boro cars bring people to downtown Bklyn or LIC and folks switch off to mass transit or yellow cabs that then take folks into the city. This will keep

Brian, as Queens boy you must remember that in the old days yellow cab owners that lived in Queens and even Nassau would pick up inbound fares off of Northern Blvd, Union Tpke, Queens Blvd and other main east-west roads.

Perhaps there should just be a zoned bonus for Yellow cabs going out bound at any time.

Clearly the city cares more about the money then about service.

Jun. 20 2011 12:21 PM
claire from UWS, Manhattan

Yellow cabs in Manhattan could raise their "hourly" greatly if they'd look to the right and left or into their rearview mirrors and see how many of us are running behind them - ESP after 10 a.m. on the UWS. Also, cabbies, stop racing down the center lanes. Much easier to pick up fares if you stay in the side lanes where the fares are haling you! There is NO, repeat NO glut of yellows in Manhattan!!

Jun. 20 2011 11:45 AM
alisonjas from crown heights brooklyn

One of the problems for yellow taxis coming into the outer boroughs from Manhattan is that the ride back into the city for those taxis is an empty taxi and therefore no fare. Not cost effective for the yellows.

Jun. 20 2011 11:31 AM
Em

Taxi/livery drivers: a bunch of jackals. My thoughts: always carefully plan ahead to avoid using them. Do as much home delivery as you can, so you don't have to carry heavy bags from the stores or make small regular puchases. Arrange transport with friends if you plan to stay out late. etc etc..

Jun. 20 2011 11:30 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

I've never had a problem with livery cab drivers. Ask the for the price upfront and you get it. The cabs are usually very clean, and the guys know the streets and how to get to your destination. I have countless stories about the rude treatment from yellow cab drivers, as well as stories about cabbies taking the long route to keep the meter running.

Jun. 20 2011 11:29 AM
nirav from nj

why is the city deciding who or how many people can drive taxis. if someone is licensed why should the city play that role. why not tell how many coffee shops or burger places or pottery barns in a nieghborhood

Jun. 20 2011 11:29 AM
Carol from Park Slope

There are numerous reasons I dislike the livery cars:

1. I never know the price! I've taken the same exact trip on various occasions and had the price fluctuate by as much $8 for no apparent reason! This is criminal. Please, just implement a meter so we all get the same fair price.

2. Calling and then WAITING for the car to show up. They *always* say they're "on their way" and make you wait outside and sometimes take as long as 20 minutes to show up.

3. Paying by credit card is always strongly discouraged. Every time I've tried to pay by credit card, I get the same story about how I should have specified that when I ordered the car (maybe the person answering the phone should ask people?), and then how it'll take ten minutes because they need to phone the credit card information into the dispatcher.

I don't care whether we have yellow taxis or livery cars out here, I just want a meter, shorter waiting time, and credit card service.

Jun. 20 2011 11:29 AM
East 96th rider

There are good reasons to have the border extended down to E96th... many patients at Mt Sinai and Metropolitan hospitals, both in the high East 90s, need livery cab options. Few yellow cabs venture above 98th street unless they have to.

Jun. 20 2011 11:27 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Wait a minute, why does use of a meter have to be linked to whether a cab is hailed or ordered by phone? Why couldn't you call for a cab that has a meter in it?

Jun. 20 2011 11:27 AM
Melissa Gordon from Queens, NY

Mike is just trying to raise money who is going to buy these medallions more wealthy people and then have the "slaves" drive them. The service in Queens is outstanding and my husband and I have vowed to never take a yellow cab out here.

Jun. 20 2011 11:26 AM
Chuck from St George Staten Island

I live in St George - Staten Island - I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a yellow cab on the Island in the three years I have lived here (other than the ones that grumpily bring me from LGA or JFK). I fully endorse extending the metered program to serve us in this borough

Jun. 20 2011 11:26 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Actually, the effect of metering on price may depend on the details. For instance, will they also have the surcharges, etc. of yellows?

Jun. 20 2011 11:26 AM
The Truth from Becky

Gentrified babies looking for preferential treatment again. Gypsy cabs doing just fine.

Jun. 20 2011 11:21 AM
Garry from Manhattan

The elephant in the room is race. The thinly veiled segregation the city has been propping up for years is a joke. Wherever black and brown people live cabbies simply don't serve us (picking up or dropping off). Legalizing livery cabs picking up street hails is, at least, a step in the right direction.

Jun. 20 2011 11:19 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

With the additional regulation and expense, gypsy cab prices will go up...

Jun. 20 2011 11:18 AM
Ron from Brooklyn

I think the legislation is a good one in theory, but the livery cabs should also be required to have meters because as it is now, they wildly overcharge when compared to what is charged by yellows to go the same distance.

Jun. 20 2011 11:17 AM
Sarah A Murphy from Brooklyn

I live a good 15 minute walk from the subway. My bus service was recently cut. Late at night, or during inclement weather or even when I'm just really tired or carrying tons of bags, all I want is a taxi cab.

If the yellow cabs don't like this plan, why don't they just agree to serve the boroughs? As it is now, the yellow cab drivers often refuse to bring me home from Manhattan - and I live in Greenpoint, I can't imagine how much worse it is for thoe who live further out.

Jun. 20 2011 11:16 AM
David from West Hempstead

My girlfriend lives right by Columbia; if I walk a block or two north, my chances of getting a cab drop exponentially.

Jun. 20 2011 11:16 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

800K for a hack license? Why? That's ridiculous.

And I completely agree with Fuva from Harlemworld.

Jun. 20 2011 11:15 AM
Michael from Brooklyn

I don't get it, this isn't allowed already? I hail yellow cabs and cars every day in Brooklyn. It's never struck me as any different than it is in Manhattan where you can hail both yellow and car service cars easily.

Technically they might have the 'exclusive right' for hails but whenever I'm looking for a cab, I get 5 car service cars stalking me.

Jun. 20 2011 11:14 AM
Emily

I don't see how anything would change. I live in Harlem and work in the Bronx, where yellow cabs are very rare. People hail livery cabs from the streeet all the time. They honk as they drive by to let people know they are available (though its cheaper to call in advance). A lot of people are surprised that its not legal to hail one off the street. I prefer a yellow cab due to the meter.

Jun. 20 2011 11:13 AM
Roberta from Brooklyn

I am a very infrequent cab rider (no budget) living in Bed-Stuy. I think the current non-system is an invitation to corruption. Passengers need to be able to hail cars and drivers need the business. But it's an invitation to break the law for everyone.

Jun. 20 2011 11:11 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Gypsy cabs provided relatively affordable service to poor communities (including my "outerboro" of Harlem), when the yellow cabs dissed us. Now, here they come, chasing the gentrifiers, threatening to eliminate affordable service to veteran, survivor residents already under pressure from other predatory effects of gentrification. Not right.

Jun. 20 2011 11:11 AM

better idea: improve mass trasit out there

Jun. 20 2011 11:08 AM