The Magic of Dick Cavett

Monday, June 20, 2011

TV talk show legend and New York Times columnist Dick Cavett talks about his return to public life and his shows with Dave Hill at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and other venues. He’ll also explain the art of interviewing, comedy, and he’ll be performing magic tricks on the air! Dick Cavett’s latest book is Talk Show: Confrontations, Pointed Commentary, and Off-Screen Secrets.

Dick Cavett

noah

More Hodgeman fill ins! It would be great if he eventually has his own daily WNYC show. He's a natural...

Jun. 24 2011 03:45 PM
Burton from UWS

Wow - I was so frustrated with Hodgman's incessant interruptions and painfully cheesy one-liners that I wanted to scream. Talk about a host drawing attention back to himself time and time again...Truly among the most irritating interviewers I've heard in ages. How the guests managed to retain their composure is beyond me. I know I could not have done it. Would love to know what Leonard thought (assuming he heard the shows). Please - never again!

Jun. 23 2011 10:56 PM

John Hodgman was excellent! Great interviewer and very funny. Knew his stuff and got a lot out of the guests. Good alternate to Andy Borowitz. Nice to know the LL can take a day off and the show is still great. Wish they'd find a good substitute for Brian Lehrer -- no one quite matches up. Though I did like Andrea Bernstein when she's done it.

Jun. 20 2011 05:10 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe. All these folks complementing John on the interview. I thought it was awful. How do you mix two funny guys together and get boring.

Jun. 20 2011 02:44 PM
Jen from NY

I caught only the last half-hour of this show, and I wish I'd heard the whole thing. John Hodgman was amazing and wonderful. WNYC, please bring him back again and again! Leonard Lopate is great too -- I probably take him for granted -- but I thought I had to comment on John Hodgman's debut performance. Superb! (Ironically, I listened while driving home from the Apple Store.)

Jun. 20 2011 02:32 PM
Laurie from Stamford, CT

What a show! I loved every minute. Come back soon, John!

Jun. 20 2011 02:28 PM
Mark from NJ

Bravo, Hodgman! -- Encore!!

Jun. 20 2011 02:08 PM
Sandra from da Bronx

Dear John,

As a teacher I know how tough it is to be a sub.
You did fine: A+

p.s. Thanks Dick for the memories...

Jun. 20 2011 02:06 PM
Mary

The sub radio host John was hysterical, wonderful, witty, and kept me listening the whole time. He kept his cool and kept me smiling the whole time!

Jun. 20 2011 02:05 PM
Paul from Ridgewood NJ/NYC

John, you're more than up to the task as a sub for Leonard.

Great hearing you, Dick. Your interviews are always enlightening and entertaining - doesn't matter which side of the desk you are on.

Jun. 20 2011 02:01 PM
Amy from nattahnaM

I used to sneak down to the basement to watch the Dick Cavett Show when I was in high school! I was sorry when it went off the air--a loss on a par w/that of the Smothers Brothers. I'm glad he's returning to public life! I'll keep an eye out for his appearances.

Jun. 20 2011 01:53 PM
Betty Anne from LES

Dick Cavett was absolutely brilliant on Broadway in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Jun. 20 2011 01:39 PM
Charlie Roberts from Highlands, NJ

Dick,

Maybe you did inhale and . . . I didn't . . . as I remembered that and you didn't.

No wait . . . I just remembered . . . I forgot to exhale!!!!

Cheers from the Jersey Shore!

Jun. 20 2011 01:38 PM
Charlie Roberts from Highlands, NJ

Big fan for many years. Please correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't President Clinton steal Dick's line (from an appearance on the Merv Griffin Show) about not inhaling marijuana?

Jun. 20 2011 01:00 PM

An understated & underrated interviewer during his TV tenure.

His wit & intellect still show, especially with iconically difficult guests - e.g., John Lennon & Yoko Ono -on YouTube.

I'll have to save my bucks to see him with the UCB.

Jun. 20 2011 09:04 AM