Streams

Union Target

Friday, June 17, 2011

Steven Greenhouse, New York Times labor and workplace correspondent and author of The Big Squeeze: Tough Times for the American Worker, talks about today's vote on unionizing by Long Island Target workers and efforts to organize Wal-Mart workers in California.

Guests:

Steven Greenhouse

The Morning Brief

Enter your email address and we’ll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Comments [11]

Chris from New York

Does anyone really think that without a union stores like wal mart and target will really play fair?The salaries for CEOs' in 1980 was 40 times the average worker,as of 2009 the average CEO now makes 400 times the average worker.During this same time period workers production index says American workers productivity has increased from 80.7 % to 120% per worker.Only 27% of Americans had a college degree as of 2010.That leaves 73% of Americans in the position of having to take what is offered.How will this country look if 73% of Americans make minnimum wage with no benefits.Make no mistake employers will take advantage where ever they can.Lower a CEO pay no way.Just cut hours and layoff more employees.

Jun. 17 2011 08:25 PM
jan riese

Please fix your website. There is no ability to listen to your show.

Jun. 17 2011 02:02 PM
Robert from NYC

No man, the health care system in America as it is sucks and so does the new Obama plan. Brian had this one right.

Jun. 17 2011 11:02 AM
David Aronowitz from Riverdale

Disclaimer - I am pro union.

Brian Lehrer please do not overlook the issue that the CEO's of those companies do not like their golden parachutes to shrink.

Secondly the profit margin for returns to the investors

Those above two principles work against the union - until those principles are tackled the union is at a disadvantage and the average worker is at a disadvantage.

Jun. 17 2011 10:50 AM
teresa from manhattan

I was in mgt for the longest time and worked in non-union environments. Life changes put me in a position to work for a union in an hourly position at Bloomingdales. Each week they took money out of my check and I never saw a benefit. I believe MGT will make changes without union. In the long run, unions take more from you and give so little in return.

Jun. 17 2011 10:44 AM
desdemona finch from Brooklyn

How is it possible to give part-time hours and demand full-time commitment? Hello? They do it because they think they can. They're exploiting desperate folks just trying to make ends meet.

Jun. 17 2011 10:39 AM
Bob from Queens

I've heard from people who work at Starbucks that they are considered part time workers, even when they routinely work more than 35 hours a week.

Jun. 17 2011 10:39 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

No, Brian, the "public" is not against Walmart coming here. Where is your proof!!???

The demonstrations were all run by union activists.

Jun. 17 2011 10:39 AM
Alex Vitale from Brooklyn, NY

15,000 workers at Costco, including many in the tri-state area are members of the Teamsters.

Jun. 17 2011 10:36 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Greenhouse is so obviously pro-union that it is shameful that he is called a reporter, and not a member of the editorial board.

Duh, he could at least pretend to be objective.

Jun. 17 2011 10:35 AM
Robert from NYC

I am pro-Union, I think workers should be unionized but I have to say that unions themselves have screwed things up for themselves due to corruption and greed. If unions remain true to their cause and work for their members and stay above board they might find a niche again in our culture/society. That said, let's all have a good laugh on this one, sad as it is.
BRING BACK HONEST WORKING UNIONS!!

Jun. 17 2011 10:34 AM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.