Thousands of Macy's Workers Threaten Strike

Monday, June 13, 2011

Macy's flagship store in Hearld Square Macy's flagship store in Hearld Square (Courtesy of Macy's)

Thousands of city Macy's employees are threatening to strike if there's no contract agreement in place by midnight on Wednesday, June 15. The Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union announced on Monday that 4,000-plus members voted to authorize the union to call a strike. It would affect four Macy's stores, including the Herald Square store, and three others in Westchester County, the Bronx and in Queens.

The union said the company has made millions in profits, but is not passing the earnings along to its workers. They said Macy's is making "unreasonable demands on wages, benefits, and hours." RWDSU cites a new scheduling system and cuts to pension benefits for new hires as points of contention, among other things.

In a statement, Macy's said it continues to bargain in "good faith" with the union, and said it's offering wage and benefits that are "among the best for department stores in New York City and across the country."

The company also says the strike-authorization vote was expected, but that it will continue negotiations to prevent a strike.

Tags:

More in:

James from HYannis

I worked in Macys support staff for close to 2 years and got a 25 cent raise. First time they incorrectly added up my evaluation and I didnt get the full raise i deserved. They then cut my department and cut my hours so I moved on. They asked me back in the fall and I gave them another try. THey told me I could come in at 7 am and within 2 weeks switched me to 530 am start time which is the time support staff workers are required to come in. They also dropped my pay down to minimum wage. The pay sucks, the work sucks and the conditions are dirty and cold. Basically they want you to unload 18 wheelers for minimum wage and start at 5:30 am in the morning. Schedule depends on their needs and you could be scheduled 6 days one week and the next week have 5 hours or be scheduled and they cut your hours at the last moment. Whatever is good for Macys.

Nov. 16 2012 06:09 PM
rose

For us in kansas its opposite..the fewer points u have the worse off. 12 points for us in kansas is a good thing. every time you miss its one point taken away, weekends are 2 taken away. until you have zero points left then you are fired. they only start u out with 4 points too when u get hired and u can only earn more if u have perfect attendance for a month- then u get one added on. being late up to an hour or leaving an hour or less early is a half point deduction.

Oct. 01 2012 02:50 PM
nubian x from north macys

I'am still shocked at how 3 associates in the same department was fired over and walked out like theives because they used their 9 points up not 12 but 9 in the oakland mall macys. code of conduct don't exist associates threaten other associates nothing is never done i could go on with all the bull.

Sep. 21 2011 01:45 AM
gian from new jersey

Lets go strikers.!!!!...wish we had a union store here in NJ ...I shall support your actions NYC stores !!!!...Yes Lucy the points system is a big JOKE...9points then 12points the whole idea sucks...and I thought the US Army was bad with demerits...get sick lose a point plus no pay for that day,,,must be another joke !!!
I wonder if the Macys execs have the same crappy system of points...I say strke!
good luck and GOD BLESS you NYC Workers of Macys.........

Jun. 15 2011 10:14 PM
WORKER from HERALD SQUARE

TO THE MACYS WORKER WE CAN'T HELP IT IF YOU GUYS WERE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO ACCEPT YOUR CONTRACT WE KNOW THEY CAN'T PAY ALL THEY NEVER DID I PAY OUT OF MY CHECK EVERY WEEK

Jun. 15 2011 09:21 AM
Macy Worker

Is everyone still living in the 40's? Do we really expect our employer to pay the majority of our healthcare? Every company in the US is increasing health care cost to employees. Why should Macy's be different? What's wrong with the point system? Is it a problem showing up for work on time and not calling out? I work in retail also and know what to expect from retail wages. I picked the job. Why should the small group of union workers be exempt from the changes that the rest of the country's Macy's workers have already experienced?

Jun. 15 2011 05:59 AM
macy slave from Las vegas

I work at the Macys in NV and the last raise increase was 34 cents! All the while we're being told poor Macys is losing sales, they only barely make 1/3 profit off each item sold and we have to sell more, try harder or lose our jobs.
Macys fires ppl that cannot get them their monthly quota of new Macy accounts. You're required to open 16 new accts each month.

Jun. 14 2011 02:57 PM
BILSKI

be real people.....with unemployment > 9%, your lucky to be working. Suck it up, get back to work like the rest of us. It's sink or swim time.....everyone is expendable.

Jun. 14 2011 11:43 AM
macysspouse

Macy's may be negotiating, but not in good faith. If they were, they would offer something REAL, not 35 cents an hour (while they raise healthcare deductions).

Jun. 14 2011 11:07 AM
Judith from Herald Square NY

Oh...Thank you Lucy for posting that comment! I had forgotten about that.
We can't be late because they will give us points, and they are forgetting that we are dealing with variables when it comes to transportation.

Jun. 14 2011 10:19 AM
Judith from Herald Square NY

As a former employee... I stand behind this completely!
Have always found it unfair that Health Care has to come out of the pocket of all employees... and if we do not make their margins of profit, it is deducted from our salaries.
Macys keeps on donating money to foundations to give the impression that they are humane. But in reality, the conditions in which employees have to work show otherwise (stock rooms that have rats roaming around, for example).

Jun. 14 2011 10:16 AM
Lucy

I currently work for a non union Macys in Long Island & I wish we were union. What they are doing right now to us is implement a new point system as far as attendence goes. We are given 12pts, when we expire all 12pts we are going to be release from our job. More pts. are deducted if we take off on Saturday or a Sunday, a total of 2 points if we don't show up to work on any of those two days. If we are 10mins or more late a point will be deducted. This is just a brief description of what they are doing to us right now. The store wants to get rid of employees and this is the way they are going about it. And of course management doesn't even what to here the word "UNION" in Roosevelt Mall. The majority of employees would welcome the UNION in. So come and talk to us.

Jun. 14 2011 10:11 AM
noel manning

I am very upset about the worker's strike.

Jun. 13 2011 05:46 PM