Go The F**k to Sleep

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Parenting isn't always sweetness and light. Writer Adam Mansbach talks about his popular new book, Go the F**k to Sleep, described by David Byrne as "a children's book for grown-ups."

EVENT: Launch party tonight at New York Public Library.  Tickets available here.  Adam Mansbach and illustrator Ricardo Cortés are joined by Judah Friedlander and the voice of Werner Herzog.

Adam Mansbach

William from Manhattan

For once, I agree with John from Office. At first, I thought this was a great concept. But then I listened to your children's book author who expressed concern. And then I remembered all the "shut the f*** up" that I've heard from parents on the subway, directed to 3-year-olds. This is not to be encouraged. Especially weirded out that this will be a movie.

Jun. 14 2011 08:41 PM
Ginger Vitus

Such a brilliant book! I am so appalled by contemporary parents. Their parenting is less gentle as it's selfish, narcissistic, solipsistic, etc. .

Very simply: they are treating their children in a manner by which they WISHED their parents had treated them many moons ago.

It's abusive, frankly.

Not saying NO to your child is a form of abuse.

A child NEEDS to be reprimanded in order to learn. A child NEEDS a parent, not a pusillanimous older brother or sister who's going to attempt to protect their child from the fears they (the parent) have never quite addressed.

If you're going to plant a flower, do you cover it in tarp so as to protect it from potential hailstorms?

These children will face a big, bad world someday. Please, parents, please -- raise your children to be strong, independent creatures.

That is the way to love. They actually want to be reprimanded. Let go of yourselves in this process. Don't instill fear into your child by letting him/her get whatever he wants.

Jun. 14 2011 01:16 PM
Rachel DeVerteuil from Queens, NY

Although I did not read the book, after listening to today's interview I was elated to know that the author was honest enough to reveal his frustrated thoughts in a humorous manner.

Jun. 14 2011 01:12 PM
art525 from Park Slope

Boy Maude from Park Slope, I'm with you. There is such a sense of entitlement. Though parents in Park Slope are very concerned with their children's education they don't teach them one word- no. My girlfriend and I wonder what the world will be like when they all grow up.

Jun. 14 2011 12:16 PM
Arthur from Port Washington, NY

I hate the title of this book! Perhaps, children don’t want to go to sleep because the patents have a rigid idea of when bedtime is. I’m a grandfather raised 3 children. My 3 year old grandson lives with us. He comes home from daycare, plays with toys, goes to the park, has diner, watches a GEORGE or THE CAT IN THE HAT, etc, about 8 pm we ask him if he wants to go to bed. He usually says “Yes.” And off he goes. No hassle, no cussing under the breath,

Jun. 14 2011 12:11 PM
Diane Barkoe from croton-on-hudson, ny

To the whiner's father...
when i was about 4, i was a champion whiner. my father recorded me whining on our reel-to-reel and played it when i whined.
i hated it so much that even the threat of playing the tape silenced me

Jun. 14 2011 12:04 PM
Emily from Brooklyn

I just hosted a baby shower for my sister, and this book was definitely the hit of the party! Many parents and parents-to-be passed it around and laughed hysterically. Thanks for the laughs!

Jun. 14 2011 12:01 PM

An effective strategy to stop whining: stay on top of it. Each time your child wines, say, "stop whining".

Jun. 14 2011 12:01 PM
Erin from Chelsea

Every parent can relate to (and most likely be amused by) this book!

All the preachy, crybabies complaining about the immorality of child abuse should chill.

Jun. 14 2011 12:01 PM
bernie from bklyn

also, i love the quote in the segment intro from the genius, david byrne. "a children's book for grown-ups."
profound, truly profound. constantly displaying his genius. we're so lucky to have his brilliant presence in our fair city.

Jun. 14 2011 12:01 PM
john from office

Brian take the A train, see if it is funny.

Jun. 14 2011 11:58 AM
Melissa from Hoboken

Sequels :

What the f do you want?

What the f do you want now?!

Jun. 14 2011 11:58 AM
MP from Brooklyn

Come on, lighten up, people - it's a joke. I could not agree more with your last caller - humor is a release!

Jun. 14 2011 11:57 AM
bernie from bklyn

don't worry , the baby creators in the projects won't be reading this book....they'll verbally abuse their kids all on their own, without help from this book.

Jun. 14 2011 11:56 AM
The Truth from Becky

Also...there is a step before the sleepless nights...CONDOMS! Abstinence, Adoption, pick one.

Jun. 14 2011 11:56 AM
office from office

I was on the train and saw a child being called a Mother F er by it mother. It was so sad and I felt bad for the kid. Again, this is not funny.

Jun. 14 2011 11:55 AM
Siouxie from Bronx

First off, I'm not a parent. But really, I am so sick of parents complaining about parenting! Funny or not, this story is so redundant.

All these people have idealist ideas of how their children will be. Wake up guys, while parenting can be rewarding, it's often no picnic.

Jun. 14 2011 11:55 AM
The Truth from Becky

I think I now know how serial killers are made! I'm scared.

Jun. 14 2011 11:54 AM
Meredith from long island city, ny

@ man with whiny children - there is a book called "Monsters Eat Whiny Children" you should purchase and read to them.

Jun. 14 2011 11:54 AM
meryl

The first time I saw this posted on facebook I was in throws of failing miserably to get my 4 year old to sleep by sitting by her bed for "five more minutes". I started to laugh and had to read a cleaned up version to her.

Jun. 14 2011 11:53 AM
Maude from Park Slope

it isn't just parents, it's also city neighbors who wish the kids would just go the f to sleep. the screaming. the crying. the clarinet playing next door. what do you say to the kids and parents?? I get how hard it is but give me a break!!!

while on the subject, I have been run down by kids on those razor skateboard things 3 times for God's sake--and the parents don't even say they're sorry!!
brooklyn kids are so annoyingly entitled.

Jun. 14 2011 11:51 AM
Andy B. from NYC

Low-class and not funny. This is more for Miami Heat fans, not Dallas Maverick fans.

Jun. 14 2011 11:51 AM
Leslie from Nutley, NJ

I have a 19-year-old and am considering writing my own book: Get the *@!$ out of Bed!

Jun. 14 2011 11:51 AM
Betsy K. from manhatten

FYI - I just finished Mansbach's "The End of the Jews" - it's an excellent novel & I've already given to a friend as a gift.
I'll also be giving Shut the **** Up to new parents I know.

Jun. 14 2011 11:50 AM
Kate from Manhattan

I'm a single mom of a 6 year old. And I preordered this from amazon and I love this book. It feels like someone was eavesdropping on too many late nights. Thanks for helping me not feel alone!!!

Jun. 14 2011 11:50 AM
The Truth from Becky

Harsh.

Jun. 14 2011 11:50 AM
AV from Brooklyn

What MP said -- I saw this book mentioned on Facebook and for the first time ever in my life I pre-ordered it. Oh my god, tears streaming down my face! I love it.

Jun. 14 2011 11:49 AM
john from office

This is crude. I am tired and fear for the kids on the subway being cursed at by their parents. It is not funny. Cursed at with profanity. The further coarsening of America.

Jun. 14 2011 11:49 AM
MP from Brooklyn

I f**king love this book!

Jun. 14 2011 11:44 AM
Linda from Brielle, NJ

I LOVE this book! My kids are now in their 20's but how well we remember. My husband and I listened to the book on youtube and had to pass it on to my mother in law. As I played it for her there were tears streaming down her face she was laughing so hard. It has now been sent to every grandparent in the jersey shore area via my mother in law's rather erratic emailing ability.
It just goes to show you... there is nothing new under the sun.
You sir, are brilliant ;-)

Jun. 14 2011 09:49 AM