Met Opera in Japan

Friday, June 10, 2011

Peter Gelb, General Manager of the Metropolitan Opera, checks in from the Opera's Japan tour, the first visit by a major performing arts organization since the March 11 earthquake.

Peter Gelb
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Hide

Oops, sorry for the double post. I agree with Ciesse, the HD broadcasts are purely wonderful!

Jun. 10 2011 11:03 AM
Hide from Tokyo, Japan

I am so excited that the met is here in Tokyo but with $200 to $600+ price tag per performance, it is not exactly "affordable..." I suppose I will just grab a show in NY.

Jun. 10 2011 11:03 AM
Hide from Tokyo, Japan

Jun. 10 2011 11:01 AM

Kudos to the Met's HD broadcasts, btw. Great way to make the Met's wonderful & pricey productions more accessible country-wide.

Jun. 10 2011 10:58 AM

Re: more enthusiastic response in Japan - maybe also to do with a culture in which it's less acceptable to be exuberantly, emotionally self-expressive in public.

Jun. 10 2011 10:55 AM

Came to the post the same question as Patrick: please ask about City Opera, Brian, and don't take a slick well-wishing answer.

Jun. 10 2011 10:52 AM
Patrick from Bronx

Do you have any thoughts at all you would like to share concerning the departure of New York City Opera from Lincoln Center?

Jun. 10 2011 05:21 AM