Steve-O, Professional Idiot

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Steven “Steve-O” Glover, one of the stars of MTV’s "Jackass," talks about becoming famous for his crazy stunts and developing—and overcoming—a crippling addiction to drugs and alcohol. Professional Idiot: A Memoir recounts his rise to fame through risk-taking, skateboarding, stunts, and clown college. He writes candidly about his lunacy, debauchery, and stunts on "Jackass," and how they led to an obsession with fame, drug abuse, and, eventually, an intervention.

Steven "Steve-O" Glover

Andy from Nebraska

Frankly, I thought that was a fantastic interview. Steve has an interesting story and brings a candidness to the table that I just can't help but like. Meanwhile, Leonard did his usual fantastic job of asking deep questions while finding the common ground that's needed to put the guests at ease. Great job all around.

To all the folks who found it in them to condemn the interview before they even heard the first word: lighten up. God forbid we have a segment or two per week that is less than deathly serious. That we can have one such segment where there's a story of addiction and survival at the base of it is all the better. Keep up the great work, WNYC!

Jun. 09 2011 03:52 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

Wow, a few posters didn't even wait for the Lenny to start the interview before disparaging the guest choice. My nose is not held so high, and with the anonymity of the internets, I freely admit to being a closet Jackass fan.
Ok, so Steve-O will never regale us with Twain like wit, nor will he expound on the interesting Americans living in Paris in the 1800's,
but he's not a phony and doesn't have an agenda (besides selling his book), and he's got an interesting story to tell.

Jun. 09 2011 03:42 PM
Linda Griggs from NYC

I enjoyed the interview.
I lost a friend to addiction recently and it was nice to hear someone talk frankly about recovery.
I like the variety that I hear on Leonard Lopate. I'm beginning to understand that the interviewer is the one that establishes the tone and a good one brings out the best discourse.
aka just another good show from Leonard Lopate

Jun. 09 2011 02:02 PM
happy from manhattan

To those who discount the value of humor as a legitimate form of creative production, to those who propose only the banal, serious and academic as worthy of discourse, what are you holding onto so tightly?

Thank you Leonard for the Steve-O segment

(btw Jack-Ass 3D opened at MOMA)

Jun. 09 2011 01:14 PM

Steve-O interview was very good. I'm glad you had him on. I was never a huge fan of Jack-Ass, but his story is compelling, as is his journey toward mental health and healing. Very human. I wouldn't pay attention to the negative, snarky comments.

Jun. 09 2011 01:13 PM

An awful lot of negativity and narrow mindedness from a LL audience. C'mon people, it's a big world out there!

Jun. 09 2011 01:10 PM
H from HK

People, lighten up! Leonard interviews everyone without judgment, perhaps you should do the same. Not a fan of Jackass but surprisingly Steve-O sounds like a pretty normal, down-to-earth guy.

Jun. 09 2011 01:05 PM
eli from astoria

thanks for having steve-o on. nice collision of high and low culture...much like the hugely successful screening of jackass 3-D at MOMA....i was there and it was a classic NYC evening. This interview is a nice addition. carry on.

Jun. 09 2011 01:04 PM
SKV from NYC

You know, I am not Jackass's audience and I had never heard of this guy.

But the interview was interesting and Steve Glover was articulate and worth listening to. He sounds like he's come a lot further in his own personal development than some of the troglodyte trolls criticizing him.

Jun. 09 2011 01:03 PM
Loren from CT

The people declaring this interview a "waste of time" are disappointing. I have never been a "jackass" viewer, but I can appreciate Lopate's interest in interviewing someone who has seen a light at the end of a dark, twisted road. It is short sighted and shallow to dismiss his story, and the bravery it likely takes to tell it, out of hand.

Jun. 09 2011 01:01 PM
Drew from Dobbs Ferry

Hello Steve O. I don't know if you will read this. Just want to say great to hear your interview. Congrats on your sobriety and you are very inspiring to listen to. I have been a fan of yours for a long time and am still a fan. Thank you for sharing with us. All the best to you.

Jun. 09 2011 12:58 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Except for the inane "stunts," he really doesn't sound that different from the guests who regularly appear on your program hawking maudlin memoirs of their terrible childhoods.

And, naturally, he's now a vegan. They always become vegans.

Jun. 09 2011 12:56 PM
dboy from nyc

You're kidding me with this!

Jun. 09 2011 12:56 PM
dana from nyc

Ask him about this: Another famous personality will tell listeners how he overcame drug addiction? Did he ever do jail time? I hear that America has more people in prison than any other nation, most are in there for low level non violent crimes such as drugs, with harsh sentences. This is tragedy on mass scale, yet we hear from celebrities boasting how they overcame drugs, and went to “rehab”? Why don’t the millions in jail have rehab? How rich do you have to be to get it?????Why this discrepancy in “penalties” and punishment?????

Jun. 09 2011 12:54 PM
Tom from Toronto

Kudos to Leonard for helping document the decline of civilization with this segment today.

Such an inspirational story.

Jun. 09 2011 12:49 PM
art525 from Park Slope

For R from Manhattan- it is not new. You used to see this stuff in circus sideshows. There were guys who pounded nails up their noses. There were guys who bit the heads off chickens. They called them geeks. Nothing new here.

Jun. 09 2011 12:48 PM

Never in a million years did I expect to hear Steve-O interviewed on WNYC. And it's not even April Fool's Day. This sounds like the premise of a SNL skit. On second thought, I'm sure he's at least as intelligent and articulate as Sarah Palin or Donald Trump. Has he announced he's running for president yet?

Jun. 09 2011 12:48 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Forget college! Forget hard work! Just be as outragous and insane and as drugged as humanly possible, and provided you physically survive, you will become rich and famous! And when you are old, write a book about it and get even richer yet!

That is the American way today!

Jun. 09 2011 12:47 PM
R. from Manhattan

Maybe some people don't get it, but I have always enjoyed "Jackass" as a brilliant and funny NEW genre I call Reality Slapstick.

People like this guy wanna do it? Knock yerself out, man- literally!

I will stay safe and laugh!

Jun. 09 2011 12:25 PM
Mike from Tribeca

I take back my lightly disparaging comment about how having Larry King on your show yesterday was a waste of your listener's time. This sounds not only like a monumental waste of time, but of the universal space time continuum itself.

Jun. 09 2011 11:43 AM