Larry King: 50 Years of Questions

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Larry King, former CNN host, talks about his career and his new book, Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions.

Larry King

Linda P. from Manhattan

If you can get hold of the vinyl of Julius Monk's "Take Five," you'll enjoy Ronny Graham's funny "Night Beat." spoof called "Night Heat."

Linda P.

Jun. 08 2011 12:16 PM
Marie from Manhattan

Dear Brian: I love your show. I was just listening to your interview with Larry King and would like to comment on your last question about authentic confessions and apologies. I believe both Jimmy Swaggert and Jimmy Carter appeared to be sincerely remorseful in their confessions, more so the president than the evangelist. In a 1976 Playboy interview, President Carter admitted to committing "adultery in my heart many times...." Reverend Swaggert sobbed, "I have sinned" before hundreds of followers, who were moved by his apparent shame being found in the company of prostitutes. I welcome a show on apology and redemption and why this behavior occurs primarily with men rather than women.

Jun. 08 2011 12:07 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Larry King said:
“I’m a vociferous reader…”

I’m going to be pedantic and point out that he means voracious, meaning he has a large appetite for reading, implying that he consumes a lot of books.

To be vociferous is to be angry, vehement and clamorous, not really analogous to reading a lot.

This comment is just pointing out word usage, it’s not meant to disparage Larry King. I’ve heard this mistaken usage of vociferous before, so I just thought I’d point it out.

Jun. 08 2011 11:52 AM
Mike from Tribeca

todd from brooklyn -- To be fair to Mike Wallace, cigarette companies paid a lot of people to smoke their brands on the air back in the day, and even sponsored TV shows for children.

Jun. 08 2011 11:49 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Ugh...I came from listening to Democracy Now where they interviewed Bill Moyers to come to this drivel...Moyers is a real journalist.

Jun. 08 2011 11:49 AM
todd from brooklyn

Larry King's interviews were something I could not abide. He would ask the soft-ball questions and then tune out. Books whose authors he would interview, would never be read by him. His great hero Mike Wallace, "journalist", was actually paid by tobacco companies to smoke on camera. LK is a celebrity as vapid as many of the celebrities who came on his show. Good riddance I say

Jun. 08 2011 11:44 AM
Ernie Fritz from UWS

Did Long John Nebel influence you and the direction of talk radio in general?

BTW - Please come back to radio

Jun. 08 2011 11:38 AM
William from Manhattan

Wow. I'm surprised by the tenor of some of these comments. This is a great interview with a master interviewer, sharing secrets of the craft. Good work.

Jun. 08 2011 11:34 AM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Before O.J., Larry had a thought-provoking show with intelligent guests (many not household names). After O.J., Larry went "Hollywood" all the way, and not only did his show change dramatically, but CNN itself went from hard news coverage to now just wall-to-wall celebrity-chasing and gossip-mongering.

Jun. 08 2011 11:33 AM

People should listen and learn something. Too many ready to "move on" to the next segment. If you want sound bites, there are lots of places you can listen, but not WNYC thankfully. In the meantime, those of us who appreciate the art of the interview are enjoying the repartee between Brian and Larry.

Jun. 08 2011 11:32 AM

We've removed a few comments from this page. Please remember the WNYC posting policy, which asks that you remain civil.
Thanks.

Jun. 08 2011 11:30 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Brian, please don't mention Anna Nichole Smith to Larry. He'll go on for months.

Jun. 08 2011 11:28 AM

what about the economy?

Jun. 08 2011 11:22 AM

Wait a minute - what is he saying about getting a check from the Feds for 1/2 a million for his Madoff investment? WTF! This guys got more money than friggin' Midas!

Jun. 08 2011 11:18 AM

has larry ever stexted with any of his very young wives or future wives

Jun. 08 2011 11:07 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm confused as to why anybody would be interested in this segment!!

Jun. 08 2011 09:52 AM
Patrick from Bronx

What was the most difficult interview you ever had?

Jun. 08 2011 06:56 AM