Anthony Weiner: 'The Picture Was of Me, And I Sent It'

Monday, June 06, 2011

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) admits to sending a lewd Twitter photo of himself to a woman and then lying about it during a press conference at the Sheraton Hotel in New York City on June 6, 2011. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY), at a press conference in New York on Monday, admits to sending a lewd photo of himself to a woman over Twitter and then lying about it. (Andrew Burton/Getty)

Rep. Anthony Weiner confessed Monday that he was the one responsible for sending a lewd photo of himself to a college student on Twitter but stopped short of resigning from his post a week after the embattled politician first drew fire for the image.

"I have made terrible mistakes," Weiner said through tears during the press conference. "The picture was of me, and I sent it."

The Congressman, thought of as a frontrunner for the 2013 mayoral race, originally claimed his Twitter account had been hacked. Weiner, an active Twitter user has not used the social media service since June 1.

Weiner also said he has sent pictures to six women over the past three years but that he never had physical relationships with any of the women.

"I shouldn't have done this," Weiner said. "I shouldn't have done this particularly since I'm married."

The politician said he sent the images from his home computer and personal Blackberry and did not use government resources.

The conservative activist Andrew Breitbart, who first released the original photo, stunned reporters when he crashed the press conference and took to the podium, the same day he posted alleged photos of the congressman on his website.

Breitbart claimed these images were sent to a second woman, but her identity has not been revealed.

One of the alleged photos shows a man with his shirt off. Another image shows the congressman sitting on a couch with two cats.

The House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi has called for an Ethics Committee investigation to determine whether Weiner inappropriately used any official resources and if he had violated any House rules.

(Photo: Conservative activist Andrew Breitbart hijacks Weiner's press conference/ Arun Venugopal)

Tags:

More in:

Mark

I'm not surprised really. In the media he always came off like some kind of smooth dandy who was a little vain. Still, I only care about financial corruption not Internet foibles.

Jun. 07 2011 09:55 AM

hilts got it right! There are enough liars and perverts in Congress - to quote Nancy P "drain the swamp." Is it just me or has DC taken on a "virtual" existence? The folks that we send there seem to live in an absolute, make-believe world. Game over Tony you've blown yourself to smithereens.

Jun. 07 2011 09:26 AM
Susan from Westchester

I absolutely cannot understand the willingness of men to risk their careers, relationships, and honor for juvenile sexual exploits. Is the male orgasm that incredible? It must be beyond my imagination. I know their are millions of reasonable men out there. Could you explain this to me?
Yes, a person's personal life should be a private matter. The lack of judgement of our country's leaders is not:

Sir, the hot line is ringing.

NOT NOW, the new Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition has just arrived!

Jun. 07 2011 09:24 AM
hilts

As a liberal, I'm disgusted by Anthony Weiner's behavior. He's revealed himself to be a pervert and a degenerate. His actions were not illegal, but he's clearly a sick man who needs psychiatric help. I'm fed up with Democrats who want to write this incident off as no big deal. Weiner disgraced his party, his district, and the Congress. He needs to resign because he's become a laughingstock and he has no credibility left to advance the liberal agenda.

Weiner's supporters should stop confusing the words LIBERAL and LIBERTINE. I've had it with politicians who can't control their raging hormones. Congress needs to be a pervert free zone.

Jun. 07 2011 08:33 AM
Alan from Hempstead

What the congressman did was stupid and
juvenile. Yes, He should resign. There are other good Democrats that can take his seat. Coumo will appoint a good one. And,
the reason he should resign is because of the cover up not his indiscretion.

Jun. 07 2011 08:26 AM

Weiner is guilty of bad judgement, to be sure. But the cover-up, as always, is worse than the original acts. The observant Jews and devout Catholics among his constituents -- they are numerous -- will punish him for his indiscretions, even if they were only digital fantasies. More secular voters will be disturbed less by his marital variations then his public prevarications. Let's put it this way: when Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert get laughs night after night with pictures of your ultra-tight tightie-whitie, you are in what Republicans call "deep do-do" with people who never vote Republican.

Jun. 07 2011 12:58 AM
Joyce from brooklyn

Hypothesis: Maybe they are not on "drugs" but I bet most of these men are taking medication, and this medication may cause an increase in libido (mentally and physically) to the point of recklessness. The cases are so similar. Think of Judge Wachtel, so highly respected. Think of the many recent cases of men in the public eye with so much to lose, and yet they took chances and were caught. Go back to JFK who was loaded with medication and saw a starlet a day in the White House (but in those days the press was kinder and silent, even though they knew what was going on). I would like to see a study by a competent group of scientists, journalists, muckrakers, somebody about a connection between certain prescription drugs and this kind of behavior.

Jun. 06 2011 11:32 PM
jj from Manhattan

The real issue, to me, at this moment (it may well change when my disappointment in this fallen rising-star politician returns) is the carelessness with which WNYC employs, or fails to employ, commas in its print stories. This is what we pay you guys for??? To wit: "Weiner, an active Twitter user has not used the social media service since June 1." (WHERE'S THE COMMA AFTER 'USER'???) THIS HAPPENS ALL TOO OFTEN ON THIS SITE. Oh, dear, my disappointment with this fool is creeping back. Here goes... Darn! Darn! Darn! Another intelligent, well-intentioned public servant slowly gags on the poison of his own unchecked adolescent urges.

Jun. 06 2011 11:09 PM
kaili baucum from Montclair, NJ

Why didn't he just say this in the first place??? Then we would have be (thoroughly) grossed out and gladly moved on. I am far more offended by his trying to fool me with his bs then the fact that he sent this photo.

Jun. 06 2011 07:45 PM
Elizabeth from NYC

I'm not sure he should resign but this seems worse to me than the activities of Clinton and Spitzer. Why?....
1. Because of the indiscretion of the pics on-line.
2. Because of the targeting of young college students.
3. Because he's not sure if they were "all adults". Apparently, he didn't do due dliligence to find out.

Jun. 06 2011 07:40 PM
RXN

McGreevey, Spitzer, Weiner, Larry Craig, Barney Frank, Bill Clinton - We get what we deserve when we have a country run by deviants.

Jun. 06 2011 07:02 PM
Kate Stine from New York

Isn't anything else happening in New York City? Or in the rest of the world? I swear I've heard this same story eight times in the past hour....

Jun. 06 2011 06:08 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Oh, Brian, I forgot... Make sure you have the Gail Collins from the New York Times on your show. She always cackles with delight if any Republican has the slightest misstep. And since you'll have Gail on, why don't you talk about John Edwards' dramatic fall from grace from golden boy to soon-to-be jailbird.

(We'll see if it's a "free country".)

Jun. 06 2011 05:56 PM

I am so annoyed that this is what we're focusing on. What he did was completely legal and on his own time. I care infinitely more about how good my rep is at his JOB than his latest faux pax, or how bad he is at Twitter, or the size of his package.

Weiner is good. Would you fire a good employee because they drunk dialed their ex last Saturday? It's preposterous at best, and destructive at worst because he can't effectively represent me while the media and the public harass him.

Jun. 06 2011 05:54 PM
lyn from Atlanta

Weiner should NOT resign. That would make two stupid things. An articulate and passionate progressive voice is more important than this stupid indiscretion. I hope this does not shut him up. Politically at least, he doesn't need to cool it!

Jun. 06 2011 05:48 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Message to Brian Lehrer:

Hey Brian, I better hear some tough coverage on Weinergate on your show Tuesday (or no more donations to WNYC). If this were a Newt or Sarah or Rudy (or any Republican), you and WNYC would be doing wall-to-wall coverage for a week. And no sugar-coating it like you did on the Charlie Rangel scandals (plural).

Jun. 06 2011 05:32 PM
profiguana

What a weiner! Please, have some respect for yourself, your family, and the people you represent, and resign from office! You really don't have any credibility Anthony!

Jun. 06 2011 05:29 PM
Peg

Hey! Everyone knows it's OK for politicians to lie... - except about sex scandals.

Jun. 06 2011 05:21 PM
John Thomas from the opinion that these guys are crazy!

In the words of another well-known politician recently involved in a sex scandal - Hasta la vista!

Jun. 06 2011 05:15 PM