The Secret Lives of the Brain

Monday, June 06, 2011

Renowned neuroscientist David Eagleman navigates the depths of the subconscious brain and looks at how it affects our conscious brain and behavior. In Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain, he explores damage, plane spotting, dating, drugs, beauty, infidelity, synesthesia, criminal law, artificial intelligence, and visual illusions to reveal the mind and all its complexity.

David Eagleman

John A. from 74.125.47.93

I appreciated the brief but detailed list of ways people use anonymity to 'unload' their problems.
I "met" someone on YouTube that did this heavily - even though her face was unobscured in the frame (only her name was hidden). When she realized that people would recognize her someday -- she vanished, along with her stories. Now I carry some of this dead load. Oh Well.

Jun. 06 2011 01:02 PM
Carol Teitelbaum

As if the only issue about the Dominique Strauss-Kahn story is his marital infidelity! Can't quite believe Mr. Lopate let that pass.

Jun. 06 2011 12:39 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I wonder how closely the political analogy works in the other direction. Is there a way a population can become predominantly more mentally healthy & cause a country to make better choices?

Hmm...are there parts of the brain that don't "vote," corresponding to the large percentages of many human populations who don't vote in elections?

Jun. 06 2011 12:38 PM
Aldona Rygelis from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I have had two concussions, each with a very brief span of unconsciousness. The first time(age 14) I could not keep the formulas on my geometry mid-term still on the page. They kept getting bigger and bigger and disappearing behind my eyes, or getting smaller and smaller and disappearing into the page. The second one caused me to have increasingly less frequent, but quite jarring, separations between my sight and perception, usually triggered by movement. I would see everything in front of me, but recognize nothing: shape, color, what particular things were. Any insights?

Jun. 06 2011 12:36 PM
Virgin(ia) LeFleur

And if your name is Gene you are more likely to have an extra chromosome

Jun. 06 2011 12:36 PM

So I guess we're doomed.

Jun. 06 2011 12:33 PM
bernard from bronx

Is your guest familiar with the book "the hidden brain" by Shankar Vendentam and the role the unconscious plays in our prejudices and value systems?

Jun. 06 2011 12:23 PM
Chuck from Manhattan

Richard Dawkins talks about this thin strip in "Unweaving the Rainbow"

Jun. 06 2011 12:19 PM

What about when you're in a really boring situation and time seems to drag on. Is the brain processing the experience the same way?

Jun. 06 2011 12:17 PM
Phil Henshaw from way uptown

has it occurred to me that there might be a big difference between the reality we make up as we see, and the one of the things we're looking at that is independent of what we see?

There are protocols for looking closer and closer that reveal some of it, if you're interested. synapse9.com

Jun. 06 2011 12:16 PM

I've heard several interviews with the guest (with Terry Gross and a segment with Robert Kurlich--sp?). I really hope some other aspects of this topic are explored--because Mr. Eagleman sites the same stories and anecdotes.

Jun. 06 2011 12:11 PM