For the latest updates on the weather and your commute on Monday, check out our transit tracker

Learning to Cook for Three

Monday, June 06, 2011

Novelist and author of the new book, Cooking for Gracie: The Making of a Parent From Scratch, Keith Dixon reflects on parenting and cooking while parenting.

Keith Dixon

Amy from Manhattan

On Soupygirl's 3rd comment, yeah, when Jami said it had always been "traditional" that the father supported the family, I thought, sure, in families that had the father there & if he made enough to support the family.

Jun. 06 2011 12:04 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Jami liked the reference to horror films; I liked the reference to Borges! My favorite story of his is "The Circular Ruins," whose main character set himself the task of "dreaming a man and imposing him on reality." Come to think of it, having children may be as close as anyone comes to that!

Jun. 06 2011 11:59 AM

Oh please. the drivel of the privileged.

Jun. 06 2011 11:58 AM

@ Hazel

Yeah, my first impression was the right one....how about a discussion on cooking for (blah, blah,blah) when you don't have enough food and don't qualify for food stamps--now that's a challenge.

Guess what! Parenting is exhausting--it always has been and always will be. Unless you can afford domestic help of course.

Jun. 06 2011 11:54 AM
MJM from New York, NY

As a working mom, I appreciate the discussion about spousal support.

Jun. 06 2011 11:52 AM

Soupygirl - you had it right the first time. I'm sorry they have a child with serious medical problems but this is still a snoozefest.

New parents are sleep deprived - who knew?

Jun. 06 2011 11:50 AM

Oh okay. I was going to write in my last post that if there weren't serious medical problems then this could be silly.

Jun. 06 2011 11:48 AM

"Reflections on parenting and cooking while parenting". Seriously? This is a topic worth discussing?

Jun. 06 2011 11:42 AM