Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Investigative reporter Katherine Ellison tells what happened when she and her 12-year-old son were both diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. in Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention is an account of her journey to reconnect with her high-spirited son, and of their search for a solution to their problems.

Katherine Ellison

katherine Ellison

I appreciate the interest in my book and this interview, and am eager to address your questions. I'm traveling for the next few days but as soon as this weekend will start trying to answer. Meanwhile, please join the Facebook page for "Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention," which I'm trying to keep updated with new information as I find it, and check out the ADHD stories on my website at www.katherineellison.com

Jun. 02 2011 04:58 PM
Meryl from Montclair

To Nick from UWS, you clearly have no clue what it is like to have a child with an issue like ADHD. While my own children have other issues, the pain of seeing your child struggle through each day is incredibly painful. Though not right for all, medication can often help these children actually "be" who they are meant to be. When not struggling with the issues of ADHD etc. they can then be their creative, individual self. They can get along with others and make friends.

You should not judge the author until you have spent a few hours in her shoes.I would take bets that you would not be able to handle even an hour of what parents of children with certain issues have to deal with every day. She should be commended for doing all she has done for her child.

Jun. 02 2011 04:01 PM
donna from bklyn

i'm curious if buzz' "great year on medication" really means you had a great (i.e., easier, less stress) year when he was on medication? if buzz thought it was great why would he not want to continue? if the side effects outweigh the benefits isn't that by definition not great? just really curious what is meant by "a great year"...
thanks

Jun. 02 2011 01:28 PM
markbnj from www.markbnj.blogspot.com

Interesting.

Please note that ADD and ADHD CAN be hereditary.

I first found out I had ADHD when my son (then aged 3) was diagnosed, and discovered that my daughter ALSO had add.

NEVER ever let a teacher, or a GP diagnose ADD or ADHD.

OR dispense medicine.

it is a difficult slope, and MY life changed after I started taking meds.

(and my daughter said " the day I took my first pill, was like the teacher finally started to make sense. Before this, it was like I was looking out the window, and hearing the teacher in "charlie brown"... then I stated hearing and understanding what they were actually saying."

Please note your mileage may vary, and it is a very individual topic

Jun. 02 2011 01:28 PM
markbnj from www.markbnj.blogspot.com

Interesting.

Please note that ADD and ADHD CAN be hereditary.

NEVER ever let a teacher, or a GP diagnose ADD or ADHD.

OR dispense medicine.

it is a difficult slope, and MY life changed after I started taking meds.

Please note your mileage may vary, and it is a very individual topic

Jun. 02 2011 01:28 PM
don from Middlesex County

Katherine should be the template for how to speak about such a subject; informed, objective and truly caring and involved.I can't wait to read this book, and wish her great luck. There's no doubt ADHD is way over diagnosed, but it's a real issue for many..and an appropriate and proper treatment (leave it to the west coast to propose the idiotic medical marijuana cure)
essential; we've got to nuture our kids with true love and care.Thanks for having her on,Lenny.

Jun. 02 2011 01:27 PM
Eve Sheridan

L-Theanine!!!!!

try it!!

Jun. 02 2011 01:24 PM
Nick from UWS

Nobody talks about the fact that so-called "ADHD" in a child may be just a fresh new human individual's natural reaction to being crammed into the brain-dead robot-like existence that society is trying to force him into.

This Stepford-like woman's cool, menacing and narcissistic/perfectionistic attempts to tame her son with "diagnosis", drugs, and brain analysis should terrify anyone.

Jun. 02 2011 01:23 PM
Eve Sheridan

L-Theanine!!!!!

try it!!

Jun. 02 2011 01:23 PM
donna from bklyn

thanks

Jun. 02 2011 01:20 PM
C. from Manhattan

I'm a writer who was diagnosed w/ ADHD in my thirties. Would you pls ask the guest about her adult ADHD diagnosis? How did she work through the issues (and to Pulitzer success) before that diagnosis / sans medication?

Jun. 02 2011 01:18 PM
Munira from Manhattan

A friend , a School Psychologist, recently told me how surprized she was when she found out that some parents actually push for the diagnosis because their kids can get an extra time on SAT. Any comment?

Jun. 02 2011 01:15 PM
Glenn from Manhattan

I teach karate to kids with ADHD and the method has helped them overcome some of their learning issues while they have fun. We have free trial classes this weekend. http://fitnessforfocus.com

Jun. 02 2011 01:15 PM