Woman in NYPD Rape Trial 'Devastated' by Officers' Acquittal

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The woman at the center of the NYPD rape trial broke her silence for the first time since the jury acquitted the two officers of rape last week to say she was "devastated" by the verdict.

"I am devastated and disappointed by the jury's decision," she said in a statement released by her attorneys on Tuesday. "I have waited 2-1/2 years for closure that will now never come."

The 29-year-old woman accused officer Kenneth Moreno of raping her while his partner officer Franklin Mata acted as lookout after the two were summoned to help the drunk woman into her East Village apartment in December 2008.

Moreno and Mata, who returned to the woman's apartment three more times that night, were convicted of three counts of official misconduct.

The woman, who delivered tearful testimony during the weeks-long trial, said the prying into her personal and social life by attorneys who "seek to shame and humiliate you for hours" was almost unbearable: "How saddening, how utterly disheartening," she said.

The woman thanked Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly for swiftly firing the two officers from the NYPD: "Thank you both for making such a strong statement that this city will not tolerate criminal actions by its police officers," she said.

She also thanked prosecutors for their role: "They gave me a voice after a night when I had none."

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Sonne Hernandez from Bushwick

Real justice is harder. I'd like to see that police officer in a jail, also bent over and taking it from behind and thinking to himself....well, this is probably how she felt.

Aug. 09 2011 09:56 AM
Anon

I once dated a girl who's boyfriend was NYPD. He was a horrible little man who mentally abuse her all the time and try to kill her self-esteem. He was racist too and hated the neighborhoods he patrol. For better or worse that was a situation I didn't stay involved in for long...

Jun. 02 2011 03:08 PM
plk

The verdict is a sad and disgusting commentary on the immunity of they NYPD, our legal system, and the low status of women in our supposedly liberated society. The victim here is a very courageous woman and should be applauded for speaking out.

Jun. 02 2011 09:28 AM
jessie from nyc

I am truly saddened and disgusted. This is a hate crime, and speaks to something that we, as humans, must fight on all levels, in all parts of the world. The misogyny can be subtle, or in this case, overt. I do not think anyone will understand what kind of collective scar this gives to women on a spiritual and emotional basis, and I am sure that it is just salt on a wound that this woman will live with forever. I know, as I fought for my life too against abuse from men. We are with you, and pray for you. Be strong.

Jun. 02 2011 05:45 AM
Erin from Brooklyn

My question is: when will there be an organized public movement against police brutality and police abuse in NYC? It seems like the time for such a thing is long overdue.

I have lived NYC for over six years and I cannot even tell how many people have told me about the abuse and injustice they have received at the hands of the NYPD, or how many times I have read it reported in the media. As awful as this rape case was, it is sadly just the tip of a very dangerous iceberg

Jun. 01 2011 05:34 PM
Em

These "men" are vile, and whatever the verdict, from the facts in the public realm they have proven themselves to be debased animals who should never be put in any position of trust or responsibility. Another sad statement on the abuses of power and the lack of accountability in this city.

Jun. 01 2011 04:08 PM
Michael from Brooklyn

Rape is obviously an event that has been underreported, underprosecuted and misunderstood. The NYPD has a long history of brutality, and these officers are obviously guilty of misconduct for many things.

None of this however surmounts due process for the accused and the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal trial.

A victim of a crime can receive some sense of justice after the occurrence of a crime has been proven. Until that point, the trial is really for the accused, because it that person who will be punished by the state (whether a crime was committed or not) upon a finding of guilt.

There was a lot of doubt here.

Jun. 01 2011 01:30 PM
Ernie from Newark, NJ

The number of high profile cases where the NYPD officers either killed, beat, abused or raped someone more than I can recall in my 48 years. Most of the cops were never taken to court; and the ones did go to court, were let go. The police are a gang of thugs who serve not the people but the very , very rich when not working for themselves. .

Jun. 01 2011 12:36 PM
Jason from Manhattan

This case played out as many rape cases do: the defense portrays the woman who as raped as promiscuous, possibly drunk, and totally unreliable. Meanwhile they depict the rapist as a hapless, well-intentioned, and confused guy who was just doing "what she wanted."

The only difference here is that the alleged rapists were white NY police officers. Had the defendants been young minorities I somehow doubt there would have been a verdict of not guilty.

Jun. 01 2011 11:36 AM
Jason from Manhattan

Jun. 01 2011 11:36 AM
Lauren from New York City

Yes, she is a brave woman to know how the defense lawyers operate in trying to discount the reputation of the accuser in a crime like this. This verdict only shows the level of lawyering by the defense. We can only hope that the civil trial will help to vindicate this doubly devastated woman.

Jun. 01 2011 09:54 AM
Catherine from New York City

I think she's a very brave young woman and I hope she can feel the love and gratitude from her fellow New Yorkers.

Jun. 01 2011 08:41 AM
Claire from Westchester

Rape is much more common than we hear about it as it is so often not reported. Women are always questioned as to why they do not report it right away? If you get hit by a truck or a bus, would you have the wherewithal to speak to your lawyer right away? As a victim of date rape that went silent for years, I feel for the woman in this story. She is a heroine for speaking out and up. Drunk, hung-over or sober, a rape is a rape. And nothing she wore could have caused it to happen.

Jun. 01 2011 07:15 AM
Dr William T Divale from Putnam Valley, NY

This trial verdict was completely outrageous. The women was penalized because she was drunk. Can you imagine! - three visits to her apartment, one phony 911 call, and him on tape saying he used a condom, and they still found him not guilty. What kind of jury was that?

Jun. 01 2011 06:33 AM