Barry Manilow Performs Live

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Barry Manilow performs live in our studio! And he’ll talk about his career and his new album, “Fifteen Minutes.” It's his first recording of all original songs in 10 years, and will be released in mid-June. Inspired by the Andy Warhol quote, the album's guitar-driven songs explore the perils and pinnacles of fame.

Barry Manilow
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Stephanie from Brooklyn, NY

What a great interview-Thanks so much, Leonard, for having Barry on your show. Funny that he lets some of his Brooklyn accent in a bit :). So deep you two were schoolmates at Eastern District. Barry, I love you-forever and a day!

May. 28 2011 08:43 AM
Suzy from Manhattan

OMG! I have a crush on him all over again!

May. 26 2011 12:51 AM
Suzan from CA

Thank you for a very interesting interview. Barry was open and full of fascinating anecdotes, and Leonard had clearly spent time researching Manilow and his career. Excellent job!

I can't wait to hear the whole "15 Minutes" CD.

May. 25 2011 09:36 PM
Janet BeCraft from Tucson, AZ

I have been a BARRY MANILOW fan since 1996 when I first saw him on TV called A&E's Live By Request when he debut Summer Of 78.
I have lot of his cds & DVDs and I can't wait to get his new cd called "15 Minutes" and I will enjoy his new music.
Hope I get a chance to meet him someday because that's my dream to come true is to meet him.
Barry, my mom (Rebecca) and I (Janet BeCraft) love you and you will always be a legend and a KING OF COPACABANA.
Love, Janet BeCraft.

May. 25 2011 04:08 PM
Italia Susan from Italy

Barry Manilow! Had a major crush on him in my teens - after Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy and then Barry! Loved hearing especially the "old" songs. One of the best interviews Leonard. Love the disco beat of the new songs too!

May. 25 2011 03:49 PM
mariya

oh wow... so pleasant to listen to,so enjoyable,so wonderful... just perfect! thank you, Leonard! great interview!

May. 25 2011 01:12 PM
Ralph from New Jersey

Missed most of the interview. Please post!

May. 25 2011 01:09 PM
gene from NYC

Gotta add this is one incredibly great interview, great candor, great insights for songwriters.

I'm totally impressed with him.

Grace goes a long way . . .

May. 25 2011 12:59 PM
Mary Aileen from Bayside

Thank you for mentioning how important music programs are in schools!

May. 25 2011 12:52 PM
Stepan from Queens

Thanks for having Barry Manilow on your show. I can remember arguing with some of my coworkers back in the 70’s defending Barry’s songs. Can you picture this; I a black guy defending Barry’s songs because most of my white (rock loving) co-workers call your music soapy. Leonard you have the greatest show.

May. 25 2011 12:51 PM
Frances from New Jersey

Would Barry consider presenting a "cover-to-cover" concert of his new CD "15 Minutes" somewhere in New York - similar to the show at The Supper Club when he introduced his "Manilow Sings Sinatra" CD?

I've been a fan since the mid-1970's and still look forward to every new Manilow project. "Bring On Tomorrow"!
Best wishes with the new CD, Barry.

May. 25 2011 12:49 PM
Di

I know this is premature but do you have any future projects...

May. 25 2011 12:48 PM
NANCY from nyc

PLEASE, a little "Weekend in New England".
It began a love affair.

May. 25 2011 12:38 PM
NANCY from nyc

PLEASE, a little "Weekend in New England".
It began a love affair.

May. 25 2011 12:37 PM
Helen M Holdun from Palm Springs

I had to add, I wish WNYC would pick up Barry Manilow's intelligent and insightful BBC Radio 2 10 week series "They Write the Songs".

It was a beautiful seriese and would surely be enjoyable for any music lover who appreciates composers from the past 50 years!

Helen

PS Mr. Lopate, I'm a born and raised New Yorker, you remind me of everything I loved about NY, though you would intimidate to pieces LOL. So glad Barry is cool, gentle and has no problem holding his own with you:)

May. 25 2011 12:34 PM
Capper from NYC

Everyone has so many great things to say about this interview. I'm sorry I missed. Will this be made available for me to listen later?

May. 25 2011 12:33 PM
Lana from Chicago

If anything would make me pledge it is this interview!! I LOVE Barry Manilow and he still has it. I'm so glad he is on the show today.

Thanks Leonard!

BTW, I did pledge before this interview. :)

May. 25 2011 12:26 PM
Kathy from Morganville, NJ

I am enjoying this interview, very interested in the new cd. Sounds jazzy, nice change for Mr. Manilow. :)

May. 25 2011 12:23 PM
a g from n j

i wonder if barry thinks about what "tin-pan alley", would have been like for him. with his great jingle success, he seems like a bit of a throwback, to that interesting era.

May. 25 2011 12:20 PM
WCO

If you want to figure out how Britney Spears is messed up, perhaps start with how willing parents are to pimp their sexy children out on the disney channel rather than the parasitic paparazzi industry which is a probably less than a 10th of a percent of the profits of any major record label or movie company.

May. 25 2011 12:19 PM
Trika

Would you sing a little know but beautiful song Somewhere Down the Road!
Trika

May. 25 2011 12:18 PM
gene from NYC

Not a big Manilow fan, but I gotta say I'm very impressed he'll just pop onto any piano that comes along, and suffer the slings of Lopate ("I see you're a little hoarse") and start right in playing and singing.

Not all stars would/could be so easily accommodating.

May. 25 2011 12:17 PM
stuart from nyc

Barry's advice to keep your old friends around you - wasn't that the downfall of Elvis Presley? Would any of his Memphis Mafia tell him that he was doing something wrong or foolish?

May. 25 2011 12:17 PM
Loren from Darien, CT

So glad to hear that this legendary performer will be singing in your studio. I've never had the chance to see Mr. Manilow in concert, but have heard many people say that even if they did not consider themselves fans before a show, they left converted and dazzled. Can he discuss how he creates that connection with the audience? Also, "Could It Be Magic?" was the song my husband and I chose for our first wedding dance so, many thanks for helping create that moment as well.

May. 25 2011 12:08 PM
Helen Holdun from Palm Springs

So happy you're having Barry Manilow on the show. He is a phenomenal musician and performer; and even more important an extraordinary person!

I have no doubt "15 Minutes" will be a HUGE and well deserved, chart topping success as is the gorgeous single from it "Bring On Tomorrow"!

With gorgeous music by Barry, the powerful lyrics by Enoch Anderson all presented by the dynamic voice of Manilow how could it not be!

Hugs to Barry:)