Yankees Parking Garage Facing Failure

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

WNYC transportation reporter Jim O'Grady discusses his reporting on the barely used Yankees parking garage which is facing financial collapse after receiving lots of public subsidies.

Jim O'Grady

Bob Rosen from Brooklyn, NY

I've nver understood why, if you want people to come to your games, shows, resteraunts, etc., you charge outlandish fees for parking if people elect to drive to your product, whartever it is. It seems to me that it would discourage pospective customers. I know it would me.
Robert Rosen

May. 28 2011 06:31 PM
rich at the shores from palm beach county, fl

i'm also a lifelong yankee fan - again, of the team, not the management. a few years ago i talked to an elderly gentleman who attended my grammar school, during the depression. since i graduated, all the professional sports teams have moved into at least one brand new facility heavily subsidized by the taxpayer. and yet, my sorry old school building, chancellor avenue school in irvington, nj, is still in use. there's something wrong with this picture.

May. 24 2011 04:20 PM
a g from n j

so good to see the greedy yankees doing poorly. they took away a local playing field and never gave back to the community. a stadium built on our tax dollars[as they all are] with broken promises,and empty thousand dollar seats. to hell with them !

May. 24 2011 12:04 PM

Professional sports is one of the biggest frauds perpetrated on the people. But men run the world and men like sports. Read Andrew Zimbalist.

May. 24 2011 11:18 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I've been a Yankee fan for longer than I'll admit, but I'm only a fan of the team, NOT management.

Yankee management, especially since the advent of Steinbrenner, has been overbearing and greedy and it tarnishes the team as well as the game of baseball.

Since Steinbrenner's first request for an unnecessary new stadium, the organization has tried to hold this city over a barrel with its unreasonable demands. You don't fill stadiums by building new ones, only by having winning teams, and if they'd focus on that rather than ruining the Bronx and threatening New Yorkers, we'd all be MUCH happier.

May. 24 2011 10:16 AM

why not take a train?

May. 24 2011 10:12 AM
Ken from Little Neck

My father and I have been going to the Stadium every Sunday for several years now, and we're close to getting priced out. Not by the tickets (we sit in the upper deck and prices have been fairly steady), but the parking. We'd gladly take mass transit, but coming from eastern Queens and Nassau, it's almost as expensive and takes at least three times as long. It's incredibly frustrating.

May. 24 2011 10:12 AM

The Yankee organization has proven themselves to be bad neighbors.

May. 24 2011 10:10 AM
David Rosenfeld

why not require the Yankees to share their field with the high school students until the school field is built.

May. 24 2011 10:10 AM

Hmmm, here's a novel idea; maybe the they should charge less for parking!

Why is it that they get all kinds of subsidies AND get to over charge the fans.

May. 24 2011 10:08 AM