Science Meets Art and Architecture at Cooper Union End of Year Show

Monday, May 23, 2011

Daphne Binder's model of sustainable housing on the Dead Sea uses new technology in water treatment. Daphne Binder's model of sustainable housing on the Dead Sea uses new technology in water treatment. (Courtesy of Cooper Union)

A mobile bread oven on top of a tricycle, a proposal for sustainable development on the Dead Sea, and a bridge made from pastel plywood boxes. These are some of the Cooper Union student projects that will be on view at the school's End of Year show, which opens on Monday, May 23.

"These are students who unreservedly pursue what I call the 'Poetics of Architecture,' which is a rare thing nowadays," said architect and former Cooper Union professor Michael Sorkin. "The combination of beauty and weirdness that's produced at Cooper is like no place else on earth."

The show features 300 works from Cooper Union students in the Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture, the School of Art and the Albert Nerken School of Engineering.

Sorkin said that the innovative thinking behind the projects made the students extremely desirable recruits to future employers.

Senior Daphne Binder said she hoped her sustainable housing Dead Sea proposal would inspire politicians and policymakers.

"I believe that proposals like my own and many others really understand architecture's ability to protect the natural resources and the environment," she said.

Cooper Union's 2011 End of Year Show is free and open to the public at 7 East 7th Street from Monday evening through June 18. The building has been hosting End of Year shows since 1860.

Louis Lim's project is a bridge made from plywood boxes that interacts with the architecture of the Cooper Union foundation building.
Courtesy of Cooper Union
Lim and his fellow seniors will graduate on May 24, 2011.
Courtesy of Cooper Union
Lim and his fellow seniors will graduate on May 24, 2011.
Audrey Berman rides
Courtesy of Cooper Union
Audrey Berman rides "Hearth" off into the horizon.
Audrey Berman’s thesis project,
Courtesy of Cooper Union
Audrey Berman’s thesis project, "Hearth" is a bread oven that is attached to a tricycle meant to be used for social gatherings in city parks.

Tags:

More in:

Michael Van Dyk from Miami, Florida

Cooper Union is a private school. The school should admit whoever it pleases, for whatever reasons it wishes, consistent with the founders intent and applicable civil rights laws. Genuine diversity happens when each private institution in America has different admissions criteria. In contrast, state schools are financed by state taxes. They should first admit the state's qualified citizens and their children.

Cooper does not need to spend a dime on advertising. It gets thousands of qualified applicants each year. Its merit-based admissions policy has made it one of the best schools in the world, with a truly international outlook. Cooper stands way above other schools because it does not admit illiterate athletes and the unqualified children of big donors and alumni. I am proud to be a Cooper donor.

Jun. 23 2011 01:41 PM
irma weiss from New York

both Frida and Jenny Eagleton are quick to reply negatively to my comments re foreign students at Cooper. However as so aptly confirmed by program for Dr. Campbell on May 9th neither name appeared among alumni who generously given to funds. My name appears under leadership which means contributions of over $1,000,000.00. But neither of your names appear either under leadership or supporters. For two alumna who have much to criticize. how much more effective had you enclosed your long overdue check with your comments. . Since we are always in need of funds its not too late to make your contribution now.

Jun. 20 2011 06:20 PM
Daphne Binder from Israel/NY

As the author of the Dead Sea project presented, among others, in the article, and, by coincidence, as the recipient of the Irma G. Weiss award which Mrs. Weiss generously bestows upon selected students at Cooper, I wanted to address the comment given. First, I wanted to say that I was very happy to see Mrs. Weiss's comment, even though I don't necessarily agree with it, because she is a huge supporter of the school and it is extremely important to receive input from such distinguished school alumni. Secondly, as apposed to the impression given by the article, my project for sustainable development is not necessarily site specific and deals with the global problem of water conservation. It is a prototype, and thus can and should be considered for other places in the world, among them sites in the US as well. I am, in fact, an American, however have lived most of my life in Israel, which is a place I derive my inspiration from on many occasions. Even though I am not foreign student, I completely agree with the comments made concerning the outmost importance of incorporating students and faculty of different backgrounds and nationalities. It is, by far, one of the main contributors in making Cooper a creative, open and intellectually invigorating place to learn.

Jun. 20 2011 03:34 PM
Irma G.Weiss from new york

Regret negative comments, however both Mayor
Bloomberg and Great Britain recently quoted that foreign students come learn and go back to their own country to put their knowledge to work, If you are up on work conditions here plenty of opportunity to solve
Herculean problems I.e. Levees in New Oleans,
The lack of low income housing, The Mississippi
and her flooding, whole towns decimated, the salt seepage in our farm fields on the West Coast threatening Colorado River water supplies, and this list is for starters
the Colorado river

Jun. 15 2011 03:57 PM
Jenny Eagleton from Tulsa, OK

Ms.Weiss,
as grateful as I am for all the things you do and have done for our great school, I think it's shame that you are suggesting that the diversity of Cooper is, in some sense, one of its faults. Yes, many American students have never heard of it. And I have no problem with the school advertising in Times Square or anywhere else. But I'm not convinced that it will dramatically change the ratio of foreign students to native students accepted into Cooper (but perhaps you would know more about that than I). And I'm also not convinced that changing that ratio is such a great goal. Maybe your point is that many American students should have the opportunity to try and get into Cooper, great! I agree. But I don't understand why it is more important for American students to get that opportunity than students all around the world. People like you are helping students like me get an education not for my life in America but for my life in the world. I won't rehash yet another Peter Cooper quote (as much as I might like to), because you surely know them better than I, but he didn't limit his vision of free education to a particular kind of student (excepting that they be motivated), and so, even if our intentions are good, neither should we.
 Although, if you are referring to the financial opportunity that Cooper provides to it's students, I completely agree with you--more American students deserve free educations. But I don't think that Cooper is to blame in this situation (as you very, very well know).
Many thanks,
Jenny Eagleton '13

Jun. 07 2011 11:43 PM
Frida

Irma: Are you sure you went to Cooper? I find it impossible to believe that anyone who attended this institution would not comprehend its pure meritocratic ideal.

Perhaps the same gripe you belabor is an apropros filter. If the University had even minimal PR, it would be virtually impossible to get into. I say let those who seek knowledge find it.

Jun. 07 2011 07:23 PM
IRMA WEISS

Why give free education to foreign students, while many Americans denied opportunity out
ignorance of Cooper's existence even among born New York residents, for which I fault the school, Cooper.

alumna'45

Jun. 04 2011 02:09 PM
Mrs M,Lipschitz from Israel Tel Aviv

The students of Cooper Union ,design for us a new way of saving our world useing Natural Resources for healthy green Invirnment
They combine Engineering with touch of Art