Music and Science

Monday, May 23, 2011

Elena Mannes, Emmy-winning documentary filmmaker and the author of The Power of Music: Pioneering Discoveries in the New Science of Song (Walker & Company, 2011), takes a scientific look at music and its effects on the body.

Event: Elena Mannes will be reading tomorrow, Tuesday, May 24, at 6pm at the Corner Bookstore, 1313 Madison Avenue.  She will also participate in a panel discussion Thursday, June 2, at 6:30pm, at the Mannes College, The New School for Music.

Elena Mannes

Rev Diane Wolcott Watson

Brilliant simply, brilliant!!

May. 26 2011 12:21 PM
a g from n j

can music help heal the body from dissease. do you really need to ask that ? if you set up an idiotic experiment,such as playing chopin preludes, and expecting a spectacular spontaneous remission, from the most virulent illness in the world,of course you will not get it. if you look for subtle markers,that can be a part of an overall healing process,you will, see them. this question should have died an ugly death,in the pages of a 1970's edition of "psychology today". why don't you get someone to ask, "is clean air overrated",while you are at it folks. jeez.....

May. 23 2011 02:14 PM
Kat from Westchester

While having an IVF, the fertility doc told me that they play loud rock music in the lab, because the embryos seem to like it. I was a little distracted by the procedure I was undergoing and unfortunately didn't think to ask follow up questions, but I've always remembered that moment, and thought it intriguing!

May. 23 2011 11:51 AM
Aviva Rahmani from Manhattan

I routinely use bel canto singing as part of the workshops I do, as an ecological artist, to address environmental degradation. It is an essential part of our "thinking" process to solve serious problems.

May. 23 2011 11:50 AM
Ruth from Queens

In the first years after a traumatic brain injury (in my early 50's) I was no longer able to listen to music, as it caused increase agitation and severe distress. It felt as if my brain simply couldn't "make sense" of music any more than it could (at the time) "make sense" of words. Although now I can once again enjoy some music, much that I previously enjoyed still causes fatigue and distress.
Would very much appreciate understanding why!

May. 23 2011 11:48 AM
Robert from NYC

I've always thought music affects us in many of the ways your guest describes and so have many but it seems that now it's being proven scientifically. Interesting topic.

May. 23 2011 11:41 AM
The Truth from Becky

Just curious to know what they thought the reaction to the peoples in the Cameroon would be?

May. 23 2011 11:40 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm a musician (organist) but I'm sure my brain didn't acquire the benefits you talk about. lol.

May. 23 2011 11:38 AM
Laura from UWS

That Albinoni piece is not relaxing for someone like me who lived in France in 1968.....It's what was played on French TV when someone important died and all regular programming was cancelled. I heard it over and over and over again when Robert Kennedy was shot. My first thought when he played it was: "Who died?"

May. 23 2011 11:36 AM
Susan Hellauer, Anonymous 4 from Nyack, NY

Several years ago we received an email from the parents of a very young boy, in a Philadelphia hospital with a serious brain injury. Brain swelling was endangering his recovery. He was unconscious, but they played music by Anonymous 4 for him, and the swelling went down. They tried other kinds of music, but the swelling remained the same or increased. So . . . Anonymous 4 and music like ours became an important part of the boy's recovery. The family started a foundation to supply hospitals with cds of Anonymous 4's music, and other similar recordings, and our recording company, harmonia mundi, sent them a stack of cds, as I recall. I've lost track of the familly -- that was two computers ago -- but this topic on your show makes me determined to track them down again. Very few things in our career have made us feel as good as this.

May. 23 2011 11:33 AM
Ron Sanecki from keyport nj

listening to my likes in music makes me want to drink more beer!

May. 23 2011 11:11 AM