Gabriel Byrne, Ireland’s Cultural Ambassador

Friday, May 20, 2011

Renowned Irish actor Gabriel Byrne, Ireland’s cultural ambassador, discusses organizing the exhibition “Revisiting the Quiet Man: Ireland on Film” at MoMA, which explores representations of Irish identity in cinema. Byrne chose films with key themes—an emigré’s sense of “home,” politics, the role of women, religion, and Irish identity, including “The Quiet Man,” “The Dead,” “The Informer,” “The Wind That Shakes the Barley,” “In the Name of the Father,” and “Hunger.” Byrne will also discuss the Imagine Ireland program in New York City, and his cultural ambassadorship.

Gabriel Byrne

Roger from Port Washington, NY

I don't know why fundamentalists assume God necessarily has time to even deal with creatures as insubstantial as us. If there is a God, Evangelical Christians are probably to him/her what creepy obsessed stalker fans are to celebrities.

May. 20 2011 01:39 PM
Sondra Mayer from Great Neck, NY

I enjoyed Gabriel Byrne's discussion on the show today. However, when you discussed the film "My Left Foot," Mr. Byrne sadly did not mention DISABILITY as one of its themes. To me, that was a terrible omission. Surely that was the MAIN theme of the film.

May. 20 2011 01:22 PM
Liam macNiallais

Gabriel Byrne makes you proud to be Irish. What a perfect ambassador!

May. 20 2011 01:04 PM
J M from NYC

Why, oh why, did he leave out one of the best contemporary Irish films ever: Neil Jordan's Breakfast on Pluto

May. 20 2011 12:52 PM
Mike from Tribeca

Mr. Bryne makes a very good point about superstitions about fairies and such. I saw "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" the other day on TCM, and was surprised by how scary and creepy it was.

May. 20 2011 12:49 PM
a g from n j

i so do respect mr. byrne,but i so wish that the term "self esteem",re a country, or person, be permanently retired. it gives no greater scope to problems,collective and individual. it's too tainted by our superficial self-help lexicon.

May. 20 2011 12:42 PM
Maria from NYC

Is Mr. Byrne planning any follow up to his first book "Pictures in My Head"?

So much has happened in his career since the last book ended.

May. 20 2011 12:21 PM
Tony from Canarsie

The first time I saw Jim Sheridan's In The Name of the Father, it was like being hit on the side of the head with a sledgehammer. Sheridan is a master of melodrama, in the best sense of the word.

May. 20 2011 12:21 PM
Maria from NYC

Would Leonard ask Gabriel why it's so difficult to see the documentary done about his own life and career - "Stories from Home" ?

It was shown last year at the (sadly, very small) annual Irish film festival in NY, but it's impossible to find on DVD or through Netflix, etc.

It's a very interesting look at the actor's life and career here and there. I'm sure many others would like to see it as well.

May. 20 2011 12:17 PM

Byrne has made an absolutely crucial point about the stories of any number of peoples around the world whose lives are delivered to us, not only by people who don't know the story firsthand, but are actually opposed to the people whose story is being told. (Consider all the movies made by Americans about Arabs.)

May. 20 2011 12:13 PM
Tessa from Downtown

Are you going to show 'Into the West' one of my favourite films and my childrens

May. 20 2011 12:12 PM
Mike from Tribeca

jawbone -- I've read that the story told in "The Magdalene Sisters" had to be toned down, the truth having been even more horrific.

May. 20 2011 12:03 PM
jawbone

The Magdalene Sisters -- a film I found terrifying.

May. 20 2011 11:58 AM
Mike from Tribeca

Looking forward to the series at MOMA, particularly Sé Merry Doyle's documentary about "The Quiet Man." I've always found it interesting how John Ford's movie is derided in some circles as an overly sappy Irish-American view of Ireland. Of course it is, and it seems to me that's exactly the point Ford is making. What a true artist that man was.

May. 20 2011 11:32 AM