On Wednesday, May 18, a host of New York City museums will offer reduced or free admission and special programs for Art Museum Day. The Studio Museum in Harlem, MoMA, the Brooklyn Museum, the Bronx Museum and others join counterparts across the U.S. offering reduced admission rates for this annual day of arts appreciation.
It's the second year the Association of Art Museum Directors has organized Art Museum Day. The day coincides with International Museum Day, in which museums around the world take a look at one single issue — this year the theme is "Museum and Memory" — affecting cultural organizations. International Museum Day started in 1977.
Here's a short list of New York City museums offering up deals on Wednesday:
- The American Folk Art Museum offers free admission and a 10 percent discount to items purchased at the museum store.
- Admission to the Bronx Museum is free on Wednesday.
- Tickets to the Brooklyn Museum are two for one on Wednesday.
- When you buy one ticket to the Guggenheim Museum, your second ticket will be half-price.
- Entry to the Museum of Arts and Design is free.
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) offers half-priced general admission tickets if you purchase them online.
- The Morgan Library and Museum offers half-priced general admission tickets on Wednesday.
- Tickets to the Studio Museum in Harlem are free on Wednesday, as is a tour of spring exhibition highlights.
- When you buy one ticket to the Whitney Museum of American Art, your second ticket will be half-price.