Legendary Swimmer Diana Nyad

Friday, May 13, 2011

Legendary swimmer Diana Nyad, who is being honored with the 2011 Streb Action Maverick Award talks about her sport and about being one of the greatest long distance swimmers in the world, and her plans, at the age of 61, to swim from Havana to the Florida coast without a shark tank this summer. In 1979 she swam the longest distance in history, swimming 102.5 miles from Bimini (in the Bahamas) to Florida. She also broke numerous world records, and set a record time circling Manhattan in 7 hours, 57 minutes.

Diana Nyad
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Bernard Doyle Photo from New Jersey

She did it!!!! She is amazing!!

Sep. 03 2013 12:08 PM
michael devaney from nyc

I've run a number of marathons and many people consider that to be prodigious. What Diana will do (yes i believe she will) makes a marathon look like a walk in the park. Godspeed.

May. 26 2011 10:51 AM
Gary from Cape Town, South Africa

Diana Nyad is a legend and a true inspiration! Ever since finding out about her and her swim, I've been watching with keen interest. Best of luck Diana, I'm supporting you all the way!

May. 18 2011 02:34 AM
Sailor J from FL

Outstanding interview. I so admire this woman. I'm 73, and have given up trying to stay in competitive condition several times in the past 10 yrs. With each physiological setback, I have to reach inside myself to set new goals as there are few to none inspirational role models at this stage of life,...instead many peers who dismiss you with negative labels. Diana Nyad empowers me. I am grateful she shares so openly.

May. 17 2011 03:04 PM
Deborah from Colorado Springs, CO

Good story. I think that ‘age is only a state of mind’ is responsible for this paradigm shift in what people do at different ages. My parents’ generation seemed to have lived by a schedule … get married and have kids in your early 20’s, being married and raising those kids in your 30’s, retire in your 60’s, then there’s all those years after that for …… what? I don’t think they gave much thought to living a life with purpose and meaning; it was all about doing the right thing, whatever that was, and being good parents. My generation questioned and challenged all that.

May. 13 2011 02:34 PM
ratboyy from Texas

Best of luck in your swim, Diana, and I'm looking forward to when you resume your podcast on KCRW. It's essential listening.

May. 13 2011 01:57 PM
IMO

[[jawbone Also, what does Diana think about on these long swims. May. 13 2011 12:27 PM]]

The mind wanders. I went on a solo motorcycle ride of over 5,000 miles and went over a lot of deep personal stuff.

May. 13 2011 01:01 PM
Kevin Bergin

Please ask her about her last name. Is that coincidental?

May. 13 2011 12:32 PM
Zen Sutherland

Dont worry about the sharks, theres is far more threat from hypothermia, Unless you are swimming with bait in your pocket.

May. 13 2011 12:29 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

How often does Diana become ill with either sinus or respiratory problems after swimming in the ocean?

May. 13 2011 12:28 PM

Leonard ask about what she does when she has to go to the bathroom? Maybe not pee-pee but poo-poo?

May. 13 2011 12:27 PM
jawbone

Also, what does Diana think about on these long swims.

May. 13 2011 12:27 PM
sanych

divers, boats, shark shield, $400,000!!!

What's the point? To get from point A to point B?

How many homeless people can live on this amount of money for a year?

May. 13 2011 12:25 PM
Julie from Stamford, CT

Diana, we were neighbors in the early '80's in Stamford, CT (Woodside Green), you and Bonnie lived across the hall! So exciting to hear you are going for this - age is definitely a state-of-mind! I wish you much luck and success!

May. 13 2011 12:23 PM
jawbone

Please ask Diana Nyad what differences she noticed in training this go round as opposed to when she was younger. Did she have to begin with shorter workouts, etc.

AND...does she have advice for people of, oh, 65, who are out of shape, having gone through cancer treatment, or other serious illnesses, and how to get back in shape to do things again.

With all understanding she is not a doctor, physiatrist, physical therapist.

Thnx!.

May. 13 2011 12:22 PM
Tony from NJ

I photographed the last swimmer from Australia have you thought about stings from jelly fish

May. 13 2011 12:22 PM
Elizabeth from NYC

Thanks. Athletes like you change society's perception of age. You are doing a big service!

May. 13 2011 12:20 PM
Elizabeth from NYC

Just curious...how do her shark guys avoid getting bit by the sharks??

May. 13 2011 12:19 PM
Liz from NYC

Wow I am so impressed with Diana's accomplishments. I am 39 years old and cannot swim because of fear. I would love to over come it......maybe one day. She's 61 so she gives me hope:)

May. 13 2011 12:17 PM
Isabel from NYC 10021

Thanks thanks so much for you enterprise! I am 42 and fear reaching 50. After listening to your comment (your mum was old at 60 but not you) I realize I won't be old either!

Best of luck!!