Albert Brooks on His Novel, Twenty Thirty

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Writer, actor, and director Albert Brooks talks about his career and his new novel. Twenty Thirty: The Real Story of What Happens to America is set in the future, when America’s population is rapidly ageing and sucking up dwindling resources.

Albert Brooks

Mike from Tribeca

ART525 from Park Slope -- I'm not getting the "Albert Brooks has a big ego" comments either, unless simply appearing on a radio show to publicize one's book makes one an egotist.

May. 10 2011 01:56 PM
Tony from Canarsie

"China does everything more efficiently," Leonard? I assume you mean in the novel, because that isn't the fact in the real world.

May. 10 2011 01:53 PM
ART525 from Park Slope

Albert might have a big ego but I'm not seeing it. So much of his humor is very self-deprecating. Whatever the case he has amused me for years. Reel Life and Lost in America have stayed with me all these years.

It's funny to see how the future is portrayed in movies and how they get it wrong. In Blade Runner they have flying cars but stop at phone booths to make calls.

May. 10 2011 01:50 PM
Kevin from Tuckahoe

I know ALbert Brooks but all I can hear on my radio is Russ Cargill from The Simpsons Movie. I can't stop laughing.

May. 10 2011 01:50 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Wait a minute, curing cancer leads to too many baby boomers living much longer...in 2030? I think most baby boomers' life expectancy is at least that long already!

May. 10 2011 01:47 PM
Dave K from Brooklyn, NY

I've always liked Albert Brooks output and the book sounds interesting but man his ego is as big as a billboard in Times Square and yes indeed growing...

May. 10 2011 01:47 PM
Mike from Tribeca

I believe Kubrick was being ironic in showing people flying in space "in comfort."

Looking forward to reading the book.

May. 10 2011 01:44 PM
Sudarat Janjira from Manhattan

Albert Brooks has an ego the size of Niagara Falls....and growing.

May. 10 2011 01:42 PM
Henry Too from Manhattan

Albert Brooks just said that there aren't large heads on screen in Times Square telling us what to do (a la Orwell's 1984). Is he joking?

May. 10 2011 01:39 PM