Your Favorite Bird-Watching Spots in NYC

Thursday, May 05, 2011

In collaboration with The New York Times, we've been asking you to send your favorite spots to watch birds throughout the city. We received hundreds of text messages and we've plotted the submissions on the map below. Click on the place-markers to get the info for each location, along with the bird mentioned. Many of you also left audio messages, which you can hear by clicking the link where available.

The map was built using a Google Fusion Table and the text message service was provided by Mobile Commons.

The most spotted birds, using Wordle:

Wordle: Birds in New York City

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Winnie

Thankfulness to my father who shared with me concerning this website,
this website is genuinely amazing.

Mar. 07 2013 08:45 AM
Cj from Bayside, NY

I live in bayside ny and never in my life have I ever seen Here nor anywhere else a albino finch .. I was taken back to say the least. My buddy thought it was s finch holding a paper towel but turns put to be a white finch. Anyway got some pics , not very good ones but j thought it was such a rare thing I had to do something.. Don't know where to send them.. Maybe someone can suggest a site?

Jul. 12 2012 06:35 PM

There is a lot of different birds in Forest Park, Queens. Just this weekend I saw wood duck, mallards, blue jays, cardinals, sparrows and wrens. This is definitely a great birding spot wight in the neighborhood.

Oct. 17 2011 09:11 AM
Allie from Sunset Park

Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn is actually great for bird watching. I think they even host tours sometimes.

May. 10 2011 10:19 AM
Beth from Greenpoint Brooklyn

McGolrick Park, Greenpoint Brooklyn has so many birds including hawks. I heard a woodpecker the other day. No geese either.

May. 06 2011 09:32 PM
Wally Balloo from the yard next to the guy who cut down all his trees.

I had a neighbor move in next door a couple of years ago and he cut down every single tree on his property (about 8) to burn them in his fireplace to save on heating costs. After trying to think of something positive about this, I finally realized that it meant that there were now more birds in my own trees. So my favorite place to watch birds is my own backyard.

May. 06 2011 04:04 PM
Lisa Wilkie from Tribeca, 10007

We have great birds that visit us on our deck - male and female cardinals, red finches, blackbirds, morning doves and even a fly catcher who sings beautifully!

May. 06 2011 12:35 PM