Best NYC Bird-Watching Map

Friday, May 06, 2011

Emily Rueb, New York Times senior producer at the Metro desk, and Jim Colgan, digital editor at the Takeaway, wraps up the WNYC/New York Times collaboration for Bird Week. Alongside them is Tom Stephenson who travels the world to birdwatch. He is a birding trip leader, photographer, sound engineer and the author of a forthcoming book about Warblers.

→ Watch the live Hawk Cam nested outside the 12th floor office of NYU President

Check out Your Favorite Bird-Watching Spots in NYC!

Wordle: Birds in New York City

Jim Colgan, Emily Rueb and Tom Stephenson

junglejane from City Island, NY

i have seen and taken photos of two ospreys building a nest on the top of a crane on a barge in Eastchester Bay, near Pelham Bay Park

May. 06 2011 12:21 PM
Eva Ga from off Crossbay Blvd, Queens, NY

The Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, off Crossbay Blvd in Queens, probably the BEST place in NYC to watch birds.

Really!

May. 06 2011 12:20 PM
Georgina from nyu

could you please comment on these hawks at NYU and how the upcoming and imminent construction the university has planned will deter other wildlife from settling in our area!?

also there are a pair of cardinals roaming around this same district, I have not yet determined which tree is their home.....

thanks

May. 06 2011 11:54 AM
Georgina from nyu

thanks

May. 06 2011 11:53 AM

oh and did I mentioned the Pileated Woodpeckers? They're amazing!

May. 06 2011 11:52 AM

Well I'm lucky. In my backyard in Poughkeepsie I get to watch many pairs of red-tailed hawks hanging out in my trees and flying over my house!

May. 06 2011 11:51 AM
Connie from Westchester

This is a great idea! Go visit "World of Birds" at the Bronx Zoo" as well as birds around the city and environs. It is good for the psyche!

May. 06 2011 09:41 AM