New Yorkers React to bin Laden's Death

Monday, May 02, 2011

(Ben Brock Johnson/WNYC)

Welcome to Politics Bites, where every afternoon at It's A Free Country, we bring you the unmissable quotes from the morning's political conversations on WNYC. Today on the Brian Lehrer Show, we opened the phones for 9-11 family members, first responders, Muslim-Americans and others to react to the news of Osama bin Laden's death. WNYC reporters Bob Hennelly and Arun Venugopal discussed how New Yorkers are reacting as we take calls.

Late Sunday night, President Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden. During an operation executed by the U.S. military, the president said the terrorist was shot and then buried in the ocean. The death of the al Qaeda leader has stirred up sentiment around the world, but particularly here in New York where bin Laden's attack on the U.S. was most deadly.

Is it appropriate to celebrate?

Karen called in to the Brian Lehrer Show from Westchester. She said her husband worked in the twin towers during the attack on 9/11 and was badly injured, but she still doesn't feel like celebrating with the news of bin Laden's death.

He and I both were thinking last night, well there is obviously some sense of relief that Osama bin Laden is not out there to kill other people but at the same token, the dancing in the streets type of thing and the celebration of joy takes me back to 9/11 when we saw people in other countries dancing in the streets with joy that there were people killed in 9/11 here. And it takes me back to the message in Exodus which is God saying to the angels...after Pharoah and them were killed in the Red Sea, why are you singing? You know, it's a mixed feeling, but I think this dancing with the joy while we should have relief is difficult.

Jordan in Manhattan said his cousin also worked in the buildings during 9/11 and was killed by the attacks. He disagreed with Karen and said the celebration is exactly what we need.

I think this is totally an occasion worth celebrating. [Bin Laden] was a horrible evil person and there is no reason that human beings, maybe not angels, but human beings cannot rejoice at the death of such an enemy. I hope that all such enemies of the U.S. and freedom and life suffer similar fates...I think that as much as we can in this world address such evil, that would be great and if it means that those people die, well that's just the way it has to be.

Jordan went on to say, it's not about revenge.

It's really less about vengeance than just making sure that if someone's out to kill you, well then by all means, kill them first. And Osama bin Laden killed thousands of people and his ideology, which has spread unfortunately since September 11th, is really what's problematic and is what must be fought.

Closure for families who lost loved ones?

Colleen Kelly is a co-founder of September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, an organization started by family members of those killed on 9/11.

That word closure is a funny thing. I don't know if there's ever any closure. My brother Bill is never coming back to this world and there's still a lot of work to be done. We're still involved in two and a half wars and there's many things happening as a direct result of September 11th that still need to be addressed in our country certainly, and around the world.

She went on to say, people will still feel how they feel about the death of bin Laden.

I don't think feelings are right or wrong. I felt enormous relief, just tremendous tremendous relief. That was the overwhelming feeling for me.

Brad in New London served in the air force and has a friend who recently died in Afghanistan. He found the news of bin Laden's death to be "cathartic" and said many veterans will likely feel the same way.

There's something about a sense of completeness to it and it somehow seems fitting. I totally respect the worries about the celebratory nature, it seems weird to celebrate a man's death, but I think the objective reason behind the celebration matters. The woman who was speaking earlier about the people who celebrated in other countries on 9/11 that was really disgusting to many of us, what made it disgusting was they were celebrating innocent peoples deaths and this was not an innocent man's death. This man was liable for the crimes he committed, so I think it's fine to celebrate justice when it occurs.

But, he said, it doesn't bring back his friend who was killed in Afghanistan last week.

A "reset" for President Obama

Elizabeth called from Columbia, MO, where she moved from New York after 9/11. She's been sick as a result of 9/11 and said she's had trouble getting health care. She feels like the government and the press has let her down.

I'm calling to say that not only bin Laden, but the U.S. government really ruined my life and a lot of other people's lives. A lot of us died months and years after 9/11 because of the air quality down there and a lot of us are sick, very sick...bankrupt, we lost our jobs, we lost our careers. I want our government to take care of its people. Bin Laden's death doesn't really change that. I want our government to take care of its people and quit blaming everybody else for a lot of the problems that are going on in this country...

WNYC's Bob Hennelly said the this could be a chance for the President to reset and re-prioritize.

If you just add in the costs of how our days change to get into buildings, the millions of hours that are spent by individuals who leave their desk to go bring people in on the first floor if you're in a sky scraper. The question is, we saw a little bit of a change under Sec. Nepolitano when the ridiculous color coded system was reconsidered, but it does seem to take an awfully long time in the 21st century for the U.S. government to learn a new trick.

Relief among Muslim New Yorkers

Ahmed in Woodside said his family had mixed feelings about the death of bin Laden.

My wife and I and my son had a discussion. My son was very happy and he said, 'oh wow, this is very good relief.' I hope there will be no more discussion about this because it's hurting us and my wife was mixed feeling because it was celebration...and I want to say, we had a lot of discussion and this is going to open dialogue and open eyes within the Muslim community.

WNYC's Arun Venugopal said feelings among Muslims and Muslim Americans have been mixed, but overall there is a feeling of relief.

Muslims and Muslim American groups I've been paying attention to in the last few hours, you see generally a sense of relief is definitely a common word I'm hearing a lot, people who feel like that problem is kind of off our shoulders now. It's also providing a platform for dialog.

Ahmed called in from Edison and echoed Venugopal's comments.

This is a big relief for Pakistan and Pakistani peoples and Islam and also, I'm strongly condemning the people; they are not a Muslim if they are killing innocent people. Islam is not allowed to kill innocent people.

Tags:

More in:

k. from USA

In regard to the bin laden bounty, I have a novel idea. Since the littloe people (otherwise known as the American taxpayers) have been funding all the war actions, etc., either directly or indirectly, how about evenly splitting it up among all of them?

May. 09 2011 11:24 AM

Minor correction to my previous comments stating, inter alia, that WikiLeaks seemed to have not been involved in this episode.

It has been reported that the name of bin Laden's courier was contained in a WikiLeakes document dump.

Just follow the yellow brick links:

" . . . Several media outlets identified the courier Monday as Maulawi Abd Khaliq Jan based on a U.S. military assessment file on Libbi that was released by WikiLeaks last week. An administration official said that name was incorrect. Officials have so far declined to identify him. . . "

May. 06 2011 09:45 PM
Owen from Oakland, CA

I usually recoil at talk of terrorists "hating freedom," but Osama Bin Laden really did hate freedom. Lawrence Wright describes how Bin Laden would go to the racetrack in Sudan and yell at people for enjoying themselves--not during Ramadan, not on the Muslim sabbath, just because he hated to see people enjoying life. My epitaph: "Here lies a passionate enemy of human joy."

May. 02 2011 06:58 PM
steven wasserman from manhattan

Bin-Laden's stature is diminished by the fact that he has not spent the last 10 years hiding in a cave or a hovel, but safely tucked under the skirts of the Pakistani military.

May. 02 2011 05:46 PM
anne from Hell's Kitchen

To those who want proof of Bin Laden's death:
Go to the ashes of the suburban mansion in Pakistan with a fine-tooth comb and sift for his DNA.
Just as we did to confirm the death of our loved ones at the WTC.
Please contemplate your conspiracy theories while on your knees in the dirt.

May. 02 2011 02:47 PM
Nick from UWS

@Jane "NICKfromUWS: According to Muslim faith, a Muslim must be buried within 24hours. The burial at sea was to avoid a shrine dedicated to him.

Why have we all become so cynical? Doubt is a terrible aspect of being human."

Jane, what proof do we have that Bin Laden is dead, other than Obama suddenly popping up at an extremely opportune moment and saying he is?

The United States Government is not a friend of the US people. If what has been happening in this country for the past 10 years has not made you a little cynical, I can only say that you are psychologically blessed with an unshakeable naivete.

May. 02 2011 02:31 PM
jay

Haiku: Epitaph for a Burial at Sea.

Here lies Osama.
Bush didn't get him; I did.
-- Barack Obama

I participated in a Holocaust Memorial service last night, and I guess such a day is an appropriate one for the death of another mass murderer. I don't like the idea of drunken rejoicing at the death of any human being, however monstrous, but we did what we had to do.

Still, more than the Mark Twain comment about reading obituaries with pleasure, I'm reminded of the story we tell at Passover, in explanation of spilling a drop of wine for each of the Ten Plagues. After the parting of the Red Sea, when the Almighty brought the waters rushing back over the pursuing Egyptians, the sages tell that the angels in heaven started to dance with joy. But the Lord scolded them, "How can you rejoice, when my children are drowning?" So I'm relieved and pleased that we did this, but my main reactions are contemplative and a bit apprehensive, not celebratory.

May. 02 2011 01:55 PM
ted in atlanta

Quote:

"mgdu from manh wrote:
Brian Lehrer went out of his way to report that Hamas condemned OBL’s assassination. Mr Lehrer always sounds happy to report anything that reflects negatively in American minds against groups that challenge Israel’s legitimacy."

I just want to note my first reaction when I found out about this killing was to click over to Al Jazeera English version, and find out what their coverage would include. They had a number of quotes but in fact of all the many leaders who commented, the quote Mr. Lehrer mentions was the only one on the Al Jazeera splash page condemning the assassination, and it would seem appropriate to include it in remarks since it is the only position of published dissent.

May. 02 2011 01:47 PM
roman stoad from manhattan

It seems to me that the fist pumpers and "rah-rah" New Yorkers downtown are making two mistakes. One they are putting on an ugly unsophisticated immature demonstration that reflects badly on NYC but also provides fodder for negative opinions from afar. Secondly, they are celebrating a failure. Ten Years to get this guy? C'mon. If OBL is indeed enemy number one, then we should be lowering our head in shame. In any case the situation of the world has moved so far beyond the influence of Osama, that his final execution can hardly be considered the victory that everyone seems to be celebrating. The wars are not going to stop, and the threat of terrorism are greater not less. America teeters on the edge of bankruptcy and irrelevance, due to its own ignorance and its culture of greed. Looking at it that way one might think Osama won, at least he accomplished what he set out to. So thump your chests all you want New Yorkers, your only fooling yourself.

By the way are there any pictures of the body, is there anything to show that this actually took place?.

May. 02 2011 01:42 PM
geTaylor from Bklyn.,NY

First and last -

"Thank you", Thank you" to the men (and women, if any) who went on this mission and were so successful.
You all deserve a ticker tape parade and more.

Some irrelevant thoughts:

What happened to the Twitter "twits" and the Wikileak "leakers"? How come we all had to wait on official government announcements and regular media coverage? Time to readjust the narratives for these two communities?

Anyone who was doubtful of our President's ability to authorize justifiable, summary, shootings wasn't paying attention during the Somali pirate episode at the beginning of his presidency.

Mr. Lehrer: I don't think you can justify your conflation of the arguably tactical shortcomings at Tora Bora with the equally arguable strategic mistake of going after Saddam Hussein before Bin Laden was killed or captured. You should have your Bush Derangement Syndrome medicine dosage increased.
See you at the debate tonight.

Last and first-

You all deserve a ticker tape parade and more.

May. 02 2011 01:40 PM
T.Babakian

I was dumbfounded when Brian Lehrer suggested that the soldiers who shot Osama
be made known, even to honor them. It seems to me that would make them and their families a target of Osama's followers for ever. I was so upset that Brian even considered that, that I was yelling out loud in my car, "NO,NO!"

May. 02 2011 01:29 PM
Grayson Louder from NYC

Bin Laden is indelibly associated with a monstrous crime, the murder of nearly 3,000 people on September 11, 2011, most of them dying in the destruction of the World Trade Center towers in New York City, as well as other bloody terrorist attacks around the world. But he was not the cause of the explosion of American militarism that followed the 9/11 attacks, merely the pretext. One conclusion can be stated with certainty: the killing of bin Laden will not put an end either to the “war on terror” for which he served as a bogeyman, nor to the imperialist wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, in which American military forces have been deployed to secure strategic positions and oil resources of vital interest to American imperialism.

May. 02 2011 12:30 PM
emaibe from teaneck, nj

I am a New Yorker. I am an American. I would have preferred capture to execution and rightfully question this dumping of the body at sea. The US feels the need to abide by Islamic law in "burying" him within 24 hrs? Really? This whole thing, 9/11, the current wars, what follows, is not so black and white. Do my fellow Americans fail to see this is not a Bruce WIllis film? You don't just take out the baddie and it's all over. Why do people fail to see that our government is complicit in some very bad things in other countries? We are not innocent as a nation. This celebration is crude, tasteless, and I fear, the beginning and not the end. Don't get me wrong, 9/11 tore my guts out, too. I will never forget the smell in the air, the smoldering lump of metal and glass, the wall of missing persons posters on the West Side Highway, the silence on the ferry to Manhattan, and the collective palpable sorrow of the city. But as an American, I know I have the right to ask questions.

May. 02 2011 12:27 PM
Fercam

The fact that a naval SEAL team was involved in the operation to capture or kill Bin Laden explains why his body was body at sea. Bin Laden’s body was probably transported by helicopter to a USN ship where forensic photos were taken and DNA test performed which explains the naval practice of burial at sea. At the same time, the sea burial also will make impossible locating his by his followers. Only the Obama, the military and intelligence people involved in the operation will know the actual coordinates were the body was dropped to the ocean but have been sworn to secrecy.

In my opinion, the Pakistani government used Bin Laden as a card to play a geopolitical game with the US and knew for a long time where he was hiding. Pakistan has allowed US drones to fly over their airspace while denying knowledge or their involvement on these operations to avoid internal political backlash and expanding popular support for extremists.

The changing political climate in many Middle East countries might have motivated the Pakistani government to finally allow for Bin Laden’s capture. We must never forget the art of diplomacy sometimes is more effective than brute military force in yielding better outcomes and avoiding regional destabilization.

The War on Terror is very different from any other war against conventional foes as this one requires more intelligence and tactical strikes with small teams to keep the octopus-like nature of all these terrorist groups.

America has a lot of experience with special tactical operations but in this case they have learned very well the use of good intelligence and the art of patience.

Checkmate!

May. 02 2011 12:18 PM
mgdu from manh

If WNYC wants to introduce Israel into this discussion of the killing of OBL, isn’t there one thing much more important than any other for Americans, especially New Yorkers, to be reminded of--namely that OBL said that he planned the 9/11 terrorism attacks as a retaliation for Israel’s bombing of Lebanon using American armaments?

May. 02 2011 12:15 PM
Salih Abdus-Salaam from New York, NY

The Beautification of Pope John and the death of Osama Bin Laden - what opposite realities, what historical significance.

May. 02 2011 12:04 PM
Gary from Near Manhattan

What bothers me about the way this is handled, is that without proof of a body other than "authoritative word", the conspiracy nut jobs will be adding on another layer. They'll say that this is a ruse, only to try and gain political clout. What if Osama bin Laden appears on video later with him saying that the US is lying, that he is alive? It could very well be that Osama anticipated his future death and recorded video just for this purpose. What then? If there is no solid evidence of the body, how can that video be refuted?

I do believe that dumping the body at sea was probably the right thing to do. No matter how good or evil someone is, burial should always be respectful of the person's religion. Otherwise, where is civility? We do not want the Muslim world to become unruly towards the US, claiming we violated their most sacred traditions.

I sure hope that the military authorities in charge of bin Laden's body fully documented the corpse with detailed video. At least if we see this, it'll help dispel the conspiracy theorists.

May. 02 2011 12:01 PM
Stephen from Hillside, NJ

Will Trump demand a death certificate?

May. 02 2011 11:58 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

Jane: Maybe you're "better" than that: I'm not, and since I'm not looking to punch my ticket to utopia, I'll leave the hand-wringing to the moral gasbag crowd. This is war, and the redder, the better. Please, for the sake of our Union's continued existence, leave warfighting to warfighters. Stick to reading Sylvia Plath or something else that doesn't require . . . . moral fiber.

May. 02 2011 11:49 AM
mgdu from manh

Bobby Ghosh worked hard to parrot the party line, but clear that he really believes that we killed OBL to silence him, or as BG put it, a trial would have given OBL a platform to continue to spew his hateful nonsense. Telling how as soon as Ghosh heard what he had said, he tried immediately to backtrack with the cover story that it was likely OBL had a weapon in his hand, but no conviction in his tone there.

Ghosh’s saying that he’s sure OBL was given a proper burial seems to be more party line coming based on no apparent evidence.

Brian Lehrer puts it honestly when it calls it ‘dumping’ OBL’s body. Even if there was some sort of ceremony, it’s obvious that the point was to make the body disappear.

But why is Brian Lehrer continuing to elide the key part of BHO’s statement--that OBL we killed OBL “after”--not during--a firefight?

May. 02 2011 11:43 AM
Playaspec from Brooklyn

Bush had the golden opportunity to have Bin Laden handed to him on a silver platter.

Instead, he cost more American lives than were taken on 9/11, ruined America's global reputation, and helped spend the US into ruin.

The question now is, when are we going to get Bush and his cronies?

May. 02 2011 11:34 AM
Rmh

Interesting that Bugsy was shot in the eye. The cockroach appears to have been a gangster and been rubbed out!

May. 02 2011 11:34 AM
Dorothy from Manhattan

I think it's interesting that we're expecting the whacko fringe to want "proof" that OBL is REALLY dead. We are now conducting ourselves in such a way that we preclude problems/questions from the craziest among us.

May. 02 2011 11:33 AM
Dan from over here, hoping things get better

As far as him not being dead - we should hear from him if he's alive, I would think. Although he may lay for a while.

May. 02 2011 11:33 AM
Lucas Van Lenten from Brooklyn

Brian, according to this article, Al Qaida promises to detonate nuclear device in Europe if Bin Laden is caught/killed. Has Lawrence Wright heard anything about this story? Thanks,
Lucas Van lenten

May. 02 2011 11:32 AM
Khadija Boyd

Kewl! Shoot to kill. Left eye! I would have waxed his sorry decayed shell and given it to any of Mme Tussaud's wax museums. Anyhoo, I can breathe again!

khadija Ouahmane-Boyd
Brooklyn, NY, via Marrakech, Morocco

May. 02 2011 11:30 AM
jane

Marc: that is not who we are. That would not make us better.

May. 02 2011 11:28 AM
Jane

RUI: I am so embarrassed to admit, that THAT was my very first relief.

May. 02 2011 11:26 AM
mgdu from manhattan

Isn’t it likely that the corpse was dumped at sea to get rid of forensic evidence that bin Laden was executed after he had been captured?

May. 02 2011 11:26 AM
Lois Eil

How did the forces get into the compound? I'm sure they didn't storm it from the outside

May. 02 2011 11:25 AM
Tom from Manhattan

Brian,

"Habeas corpus" means "You may have the body.)

May. 02 2011 11:22 AM
RUI in Westfield

Here lies Osama Bin Laden, the terrorist who now, with his death, as guaranteed Presiden Barack Obama to be re-elected for another term. NICE!!!

May. 02 2011 11:18 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

Turns out that Pres Obama really is an American politician after all. After exhibiting real backbone by ordering this mission, and not backing off, and real competence by keeping a lid on it, Pres Obama totally pumped the pooch by ordering bin Laden's remains dumped in the drink. His head should be decorating The Pit, his hands the Pentagon and Shanksville PA, and various other bits (scalp, heart, genitals, et al) disseminated to wherever the education will do the most good. We've been denied our trophy, our Roman triumph, all because we don't wish to offend the sensibilities of the people who paraded the bodies of SFC Randall Shugart and M/Sgt Gary Gordon through the streets of Mogadishu. What appalling stupidity, and hypocrisy, even by Washington's standards.

May. 02 2011 11:18 AM
Laurie from Manhattan

Just a small observation: is it a coincident that the announcement regarding the death came on television precisely before the end of The Apprentice - (Donald Trump's show) cutting short the television show while Donald Trump was precisely on the screen. Just wondering....

May. 02 2011 11:14 AM
Bill from Queens, NY

Ostensibly, few are as of yet commenting in any concrete way on the (expected and unexpected) consequences of this event, or on the operational significance.

But the symbolic and emotive meaning is tangible and real, and this we see already in our streets. What will be the symbolic meaning for his supporters remains to be seen--

May. 02 2011 11:12 AM
moose from jersey city

I just heard on the radio that they tested the DNA to confirm it was OBL- don't DNA tests take longer than that?

May. 02 2011 11:08 AM
Jane

Why have we all become so cynical? Doubt is a terrible aspect of being human.

May. 02 2011 11:06 AM
anthony from New York, NY

a reason my comment was taken off?

May. 02 2011 11:01 AM
Owen from New York City

US forces deserve the highest commendation for their execution of this raid. They succeeded despite operating in what might fairly be described as The Belly of the Beast – a military city within a nuclear-armed country whose military is heavily influence by one of the world's most effective and hostile intelligence services (Pakistan's ISI).

There is nothing new about this alliance between the ISI and virulently anti-Western forces in Afghanistan. I lived and worked in Peshawar, Pakistan during the late 1980s. Starting around 1988, I started hearing complaints from French doctors who operated at great risk in Soviet-occupied Afghanistan. They were encountering Arab-led anti-Western Afghans, who the French doctors asserted were funded by Saudi money as well as US aid money channeled through ISI. I also heard a harrowing story from a prominent Christian Science Monitor journalist, who would have been killed by such forces but for the fact that his Afghan companions put themselves between the journalist and the anti-Western fighters.

As a result of these past experiences, what happened yesterday, and everything that has happened in between, I have no doubt in the veracity of news reports about hostile elements in Pakistan's military and intelligence. Dealing constructively with this is one of the USA's greatest challenges in the region.

May. 02 2011 11:00 AM
Jeannette from Brooklyn

I'm with you IC from NY, Montreal. Jubilation over any death is completely inappropriate, uncivil, and tragic, though I too recognize Osama's actions as abominable, criminal, and deserving of retribution.

May. 02 2011 10:57 AM
SDM

It's easy to understand the kill rather than capture decision from a practical viewpoint. Trial and imprisonment would be a nightmare and an ongoing incitement to other terrorists.

While one doesn't want the U.S. to sink to the level of OBL and his minions (that's why we reject torture regardless of the acts of others), emotionally the poetic justice in OBL's last video being one of his beheading has some appeal.

May. 02 2011 10:54 AM

C'mon, buried at sea - immediately? What kind of BS is that? They either didn't kill him or he has been dead for years. How stupid do we look?

May. 02 2011 10:53 AM
Ana from Brooklyn

The reaction to Osama Bin Ladin's death are pretty astonishing. Mainly because it shows how simplistic the American view of the world is. One very young man at the World Trade Center's reaction was that of a movie goer. We captured and killed the bad guy. Now we will ride into the sunset. Yes, Osama had to die, capturing him would have been a legal disaster, nonetheless, evil has not stopped to exist. Nor is evil exclusive to countries other than the US. I fear for Europe, with their cultural and social tensions with second, third generation Muslims aching for meaning and identity. I think that also that the US has acted evil in other countries and all in the name of "freedom." Good and evil are grey areas dancing to an ever faster tune. That is why people can't see more than black and white.

May. 02 2011 10:53 AM
IC from NY, Montreal

I think what Osama did was abominable, but have we also become so uncivilized and immoral ourselves to celebrate and cheer so crudely the killing of another human being? Is that really justice in our "democratci & civil" society?

May. 02 2011 10:52 AM
ben from minneapolis, mn

Here lies the man who killed over thousands of Americans and Foreign citizens in NYC on September 11, 2001, at the uttermost namesake of a religious idea. Bin Laden should not be missed! Instead, he should be written off in history as a psychopath mass murder that showed the face of evil towards western nations over the last two decades since the end of the Cold War with the Soviets. I do greatly sincere and the appreciation for the work of this White House Administration in Washington D.C., and the Navy Seals that found Bin Laden in Pakistan where they manages to hunt him down and therefore kill him under justifiable circumstances.

9/11 will never be forgotten and neither will be Bin Laden as the main suspect that allowed the biggest, unconscionable genocide on American soil since Pearl Harbor in 1941. He is dead and therefore I say "good riddance to bad rubbish."

May. 02 2011 10:51 AM

Cheers to Navy Seals. Maybe now the macho pols can get us out of the 3 wars we're now in and bring our soldiers home.

My husband was killed in the WTC and our son left without a father at a very young age. Sorry, but justice isn't closure.

I'm still a widow, my son still never got to speak with his father, and his elderly parents are still sick without his comfort. Some of my 9-11 friends are happy today. It isn't a day I'm going to go drinking at Ground Zero, as reported on The Takeaway. This brought up a lot of very sour feelings about our loss, the events 10 years ago, Bin Laden's escape from Afghanistan in the first place, and the national scars we ignore and patch over with flags.

May. 02 2011 10:50 AM
Joshua Clark

Our opinion of how Bin Laden's killing should be received by the world does not matter at all. The only opinion that matters in the world is that of Muslims around the world, often oppressed by our government, and as we use more violence against them, whether against "extremists" or civilians, their opinion of the American empire can only deteriorate and create more extremism. We only aid the tools of recruitment and shape a more negative opinion of America and it's citizens as we engage with Muslims in this way and celebrate it.

May. 02 2011 10:50 AM
Marian Fontana from Staten Island, NY

I lost my firefighter husband on 9-11 and have been a guest of Brian's twice.

I have always thought you handled the difficult and often controversial topics of 9-11 with grace.

I heard the news last night that Osama had been killed and I was surprised that I did not feel the relief I imagined.

Instead, I felt grief...sadness for all that my husband has missed these last nine years, what my son has missed. I wished he would have been captured so I could tell him these things...
but then as I dropped my son to school, he said "I feel a great weight lifted off my shoulders" and I realized I was glad this evil man is gone.

May. 02 2011 10:47 AM
Nick from UWS

Immediately buried at sea? What kind of BS is that?

It's typical of anything the US Government does that we just have to take their word for it, and we will not be allowed proof of it.

The disconnect between the triumphant announcement of an historic event, and the simultaneous absolute lack of proof of it for the world to see, is pyschotic.

We are living in a time where everything is hot air, and there is no concrete proof of anything. Americans become stupider and stupider.

May. 02 2011 10:47 AM
Paul from Glen Cove

Bin laden is responsible for 911. But it could have been prevented. Never forget that the republicans, on their watch, dropped the ball.

May. 02 2011 10:46 AM
Helen Engelhardt from Brooklyn, NY

If circumstances had altered slightly, two mass murderers could have been killed by the American military within 48 hours: Gadaffi could have predeced bin Laudin.
I am relieved that OBL was finally found but where he was discovered raises even more questions about the political decisions our government has made since 9/11/01.
And as for Colonel Gadaffi -I hope it becomes possible to bring him to trial for his crimes against his own people, and the people of the world. For the sake of the Libyans especially, I hope his political demise occurs speedily.

May. 02 2011 10:45 AM
Dan from 51st and Lexington Ave on September 11th.

I don't like to see anyone killed. That being said, my wife and therefore, my kids, are Jewish, and without the death of the Nazis they woudn't be here.

I am reminded of the movie "Sargeant York", where Gary Cooper as York (a pacifist) is asked why he killed German soldiers. He replied "Sometimes you got to do a little killing to stop alot of killing".

And - given that there was burial at sea - conspiracy advocates - Start your engines!

May. 02 2011 10:44 AM
Jason Schwartzman from Richmond, VA

Coincidentally, I saw a documentary about Adolf Eichmann's trial this past week, and after he was hanged, his ashes went into the Mediterranean as a way of disappearing him--aside from our memory of him. I see similarities to Bin Laden.

May. 02 2011 10:44 AM
Cynthia Carlson from NYC

I am not joining the celebrations today. I will celebrate:
- when the huge cement blocks surrounding our historical and official buildings are no longer there, and it is possible again to visit the historic buildings in NYC I love so much
- when there are no more lists of the dead at the end of the PBS Newshour
-when we no longer spend the huge amounts on security and military
-when we stop vilifying Muslims
-when I can keep my shoes on at US airports

May. 02 2011 10:43 AM

There is evil in the world. Evil does not accept tolerance or co-existence. Hitler, Usama, Hamen, all planned the destruction of the other - not peace or co-existence. This is right and wrong and evil.

May. 02 2011 10:41 AM
peter from brooklyn

one thing that i find particularly fascinating and disturbing is the obama administration's utter underestimation of the conspiracy theorists who abound the world over and who will not believe one bit of the "news" of bin laden's killing. many of these people sincerely believe that bin laden was a u.s. construct to begin with. they are hardly going to buy the story that heroic american soldiers found and killed him and then conveniently dumped his body into the sea. most americans may buy this story, few others will, especially in middle eastern countries.

May. 02 2011 10:41 AM
Erika from Brooklyn

Has anyone considered that taking Bin Laden alive was probably not an option.

May. 02 2011 10:41 AM
Gardiner from Harlem

I relate to much of what has been said about the celebration and sense of vengeance over bin Laden's death that seems to conflict many of us. I didn't expect to but cried this morning listening to reports as they brought back so many memories of 9-11 and all of the conflicting emotions involved.
That being said, I think it's very important for our children (most of whom weren't even alive on 9-11) that we are firm about the importance of bin Laden's death. He must be seen as 100% evil. Young people do not understand the duality of man yet and it is psychologically significant that people like bin Laden represent pure evil, not a variety of complex human foibles. We shouldn't show our children our rage and hatred, but we should make clear the importance that this man, who made independent choices, has been stopped, and that that is a positive action. Remember, we do not display complexities of emotion over Hitler, and I believe that is a useful lesson to young people, who learn their ethics from us.

May. 02 2011 10:41 AM
James from Manhattan

It is easy to say that one would rather have Osama bin laden captured. But it's really not up to us or even the President for that matter. Its up to the first guy through the door and what he sees in his front sight. We cannot ask our brave young commandos to sacrifice themselves for political or opinion polls. The only policy in close quarters combat is if you see a bad guy, shoot. If you see a good guy, hold.

May. 02 2011 10:40 AM
ml from inwood

Does this mean that the war in Afghanistan is over and the troops can come home now?

May. 02 2011 10:40 AM
dboy from nyc

I am not sad to see bin Laden go but, this jingoistic bloodlust is making me sick. I'm ashamed to be American when I see this celebratory grave dancing.

It all looks oddly familiar to images broadcast from Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan of blood-crazed zealots dancing in the streets.

Sick.

May. 02 2011 10:40 AM
CL from NYC

"Opportunity for a reset"???? How does the death of Osama bin Laden reduce the need for vigilance? Bob Hennelley should stick to "covering" Albany if that comment is any indication of his insight into larger matters.

May. 02 2011 10:38 AM
Reba Shimansky from NY

Don`t compare Bill Clinton to Bush. Bin laden was not a reocognized terrorist threat until 09/11. When Bill Clinton tried to attsck Bin laden and Al Qaeda he was attacked for trying to divert attention from the Lewinsky scandal.
There is no question that the killing of Bin Laden is a great triumph for Obama. However as Bush 41`s Gulf War victory demonstrated it is no guarantee of victory in 2012. It is still the economy.
Thank God Bin laden was killed and not captured so he could stand trial-what a disaster that would have been.,
Bush talked about getting Bin Laden dead or alive and yet when he was cornered in Tora Bora he outsourced the capture to the Afghanis who let him go.
Republicans are inept and incapable of doing anything right.
After all it was Clinton not Reagan who balanced the budget and created a surplus,
When Bin Laden made an appearance on tape during the end of the 2004 presidential campaign the GOP said Bin Laden was campaigning for Kerrey. However he was really trying to boost Bush because Bush was the best friend he every had.

May. 02 2011 10:38 AM
mgdu from manhattan

Caller says the targeted killing of OBL was not an “extra-judicial execution” because OBL posed an ongoing threat of terrorist attacks. That argument refutes itself. If OBL did pose any ongoing threat it would have been crucial to capture him alive.
The fact that we chose to execute OBL rather than to capture him shows clearly that our priority was not to prevent further terrorism, much less to achieve justice, but rather to silence OBL, to prevent the information that he has from being made public.

Bob Henley conveys the misinfo that OBL was killed during a firefight, but our president clearly stated that OBL was killed not ‘during’ but “after” the firefight.

May. 02 2011 10:38 AM
pj

Brian, why are you asking for Iraq war vets to specifically react to Ben Laden's death?
Iraq had nothing to do with Ben Laden.
Iraq was not connected to 911.
Please don't continue to blur or blend Iraq with Afghanistan

May. 02 2011 10:37 AM
Cesar from Manhattan

What is the reaction from Middle East leaders? I just read that Pakistan's former President Pervez Musharraf says the US raid to kill Bin Laden was "a violation of Pakistan's borders", according to Reuters.

Where are comments from Saudi Arabia?

May. 02 2011 10:36 AM
Josh Karan from Washington Heights

From Rabbi Arthur Waskow:

The Torah describes Moses and Miriam leading the ancient People Israel in a celebratory song after the tyrannical Pharaoh and his Army have been overwhelmed by the waters of the Red Sea. Later, the Rabbis gave a new overtone to the story: “The angels,” they said, “ began to dance and sing as well, but God rebuked them: ‘These also are the work of My hands. We must not rejoice at their deaths!’ “

Notice the complexity of the teaching: Human beings go unrebuked when they celebrate the downfall and death of a tyrant; but the Rabbis are addressing our higher selves, trying to move us into a higher place. (The legend is certainly not aimed at “angels.”) Similarly, we are taught that at the Passover Seder, when we recite the plagues that fell upon the Egyptians, we must drip out the wine from our cups as we mention each plague, lest we drink that wine to celebrate these disasters that befell our oppressors.

Can we now say, “Enough, enough!” -- refuse to drink the intoxicating triumphalist wine of celebration, and turn our attention and commitment to end these wars that take on a deadly “life” of their own?

May. 02 2011 10:36 AM
Cynthia Nash from New York, New York

Brian Lehrer just asked for feedback from Muslims who have
"suffered as a result of the backlash" from 9/11.
I am not Muslim, but I was horrifed by that backlash.
We can blame Osama and Al Qaeda for many things but not the backlash. The backlash against Musilms came from the darkest parts of our nation's psyche. On this day of remembrance and celebration, lets hope that as we heal we promise to be ever wary of extremism, whatever our politics, faith and philosophy.

May. 02 2011 10:36 AM
ted in atlanta

And surely, the BURIED AT SEA was a stroke of genius; providing no site for pilgrimage and fanatical rallies. This was obviously strategized and planned well in advance as policy for whenever OBL might be located. He must not be tried (therefore killed on sight) and he must not be buried in a known location (rallying point) so this all went to plan.

May. 02 2011 10:35 AM

No Evidence Tying Bin Laden to 9/11

May. 02 2011 10:34 AM
jonathan ben gordon from Dobbs Ferry Ny

There is a midrash that God scolded the angels for cheering when the Egyptian forces were drowned in the Red Sea. There is an answering midrash- An angel then flew to Egypt, scooped up the body of a child killed by Pharoah and laid it at the foot of God. And God became silent.

Bin Laden's nihilistic narrative reflected the belief that the Arab world was hopelessly oppressed by the West and privileged interests within the Middle East. It follows, why not bring the battle to the complacent ones who benefit from the despair they inflict on others.
The Arab Spring confounds his view, and that is the great and wonderful truth of it. We should enourage the continued evolution of the Arab world, and be moderate in our response to provocation.
Life will triumph over death.

May. 02 2011 10:34 AM
Odinaka Ezeobele from Houston

I just spoke to my Dad in Nigeria. And he said it would have been better for him to be captured alive for a trial. What does it mean to be buried at sea, was his body thrown in water. And what sea is this?

May. 02 2011 10:32 AM
Jennifer from Williamsburg

Brian, can you please ask your guests to elaborate on the details about him being buried at sea? This detail seems to be glossed over at this point. Why at sea? Was a DNA test done before his body was disposed of? Did they keep some of his DNA?

May. 02 2011 10:31 AM
James from Manhattan

I am a former Army officer and 9/11 responder. People may think the celebrations in the streets over the death of UBL may not be appropriate, and maybe in some respect they are right. I am sure that infuriates the al queda sympathizers around the world, many who have the capability to launch reprisals. But this is warfare, and the images of our kids in the street celebrating will also serve as a morale booster for our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq Our joes in the field need to know that this country is behind them. Today's patrol outside the wire in the andbar province, or kunduz or tikrit will have new meaning and new resolve to our brave young soldiers.

May. 02 2011 10:31 AM
colette from manhattan

i find it puzzling - why the US disposed of body already – it’s US govt word against any skeptics that this really was his body

May. 02 2011 10:31 AM
David Capulet from PA

Bin Laden did not advance the attacks on the American working class. Bush, and Obama, have done that very well on their own. To rejoice at his death, as if the recession would end with his passing, is absurd.

May. 02 2011 10:29 AM
Stuart Sigman from NYC

I'm glad that Obama got this victory. I'm an Orthodox Jew, a supporter of Israel and a supporter of Obama.

Here's hoping the coincidence of this victory helps with a second term for Obama!

May. 02 2011 10:29 AM
Dara from East Village

im with IAN, buried at SEA? or hired by the CIA?

May. 02 2011 10:27 AM
John from Brooklyn NY

We should be going after another leader responsible for the death of thousands of Americans, and that is George Bush, who misled the American public and dragged us into the Iraq War, thereby causing the loss of thousands of U.S. soldiers as well as countless thousands of Iraqi citizens. He should be held responsible and brought to justice, though I do not advocate any more killing. We've had enough.

May. 02 2011 10:27 AM
nina from nyc

I have always been conflicted about our military actions as a "result" of the events of 9/11, but Bin Laden was as determined as anyone to turn himself into an icon for terrorism. When you step into those shoes your life as an individual becomes irrelevant, I do feel a sense of justice/relief and to some extent the closing of a chapter.

May. 02 2011 10:26 AM
NB from Brooklyn

I learned of Bin Laden's death last night when I was woken by chants of "F*$& Bin Laden" from young men marching jubilantly down the street. While my first reaction was to think, 'thank goodness, we got him!', my second was a disappointment in the gleeful schadenfreude of my fellow Americans. Hearing about the celebrations, parties, and outrageous newspaper headlines, I find that I wish we'd have a more somber response to this: we killed a man (albeit a terrorist who deserved it), we didn't win the World Cup. I was abroad on 9/11 and the news where I was showed pictures and videos of people dancing in the street and celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers, and I comforted myself with the thought that America would never do that. I respect the commentors above who joined in fellowship with other survivors, I'm relieved a threat is gone and applaud our troops, but since when are we the kind of people who cheer the death of anyone?

May. 02 2011 10:25 AM
Perplexed; perplexed. from a transitioning world

Isn't it a shame that tens of thousands of ghastly murders in the name of this or that deity is still not enough to end the absurdity of these arcane primitive beliefs? Osama worked in the most fanatical realms of what he thought was ...righteous! What a sick joke this perpetuation of "my holy rituals and legends" defeating yours will continue to cause until there is education and enlightenment and acceptance of truth in this, the so-called information age.

May. 02 2011 10:23 AM
Maddy from Nassau County

I hear Trump wants to see a copy of the death certificate.

May. 02 2011 10:21 AM
Nick from UWS

It didn't take 10 years to get him. It took TWO years to get him.

It took George Bush 8 years to let him escape, not try to get him, and then use 9/11 as an excuse to attack Iraq and get Hussein instead, then and forget about Bin Laden.

It took OBAMA two years to get him.

BURIED AT SEA? WTF???? WTF??? WTF???

WHY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NEVER ALLOWED TO SEE PROOF OF ANYTHING??

May. 02 2011 10:21 AM
Alex from Brooklyn

I read that this was a kill operation - not a capture operation. That is a shame because it would have been a much bigger blow to Al Queda if we had captured Bin Laden and sentenced him after a free and open trial in a US court of law. Simply killing him was the politically easier option but the more dangerous one because he dies a martyr in the eyes of those for whom his message resonates.

May. 02 2011 10:20 AM
kay from NYC

But how many innocent people in Pakistan and Afghanistan have we killed going after this man in the last decade?

May. 02 2011 10:19 AM
Gabrielle from NYC

When I heard the news last night, I was not among those fist pumping. Sure, it's amazing news that he was finally caught and I'm so glad he was. But I had nightmares all night, concerned about what his death means for our immediate future as far as terrorist threats are concerned. Things are going to get worse.

May. 02 2011 10:19 AM
Jeff Weinstein from NYC

The man who called saying he was against revenge but was glad Bin Laden died LOST A HUSBAND in 9/11, but somehow Brian ("Leonard") didn't hear that and wish him his usual condolence.

May. 02 2011 10:18 AM
dboy from nyc

bin Laden killed thousands. We (the US) have killed TENS OF THOUSANDS (or more) in the pursuit of this criminal.

Is it all worth it?

May. 02 2011 10:17 AM
Harry Campbell from Baltimore

I'm not a person who wishes people dead or who supports the death penalty, nor do I like to wallow in blood lust. With that said I am relieved that Osama BinLaden is dead. He is responsible for so many broken hearts, the survivors of 9/11.
Someone posted a picture of the Statue of Liberty holding Bin Laden's severed head. I posted to them that that kind of imagery makes US just like THEM. A severed head? Really? Doesn't that make anyone think of televised beheadings. I think we can celebrate the death or rather the no longer being of a bad soul.

May. 02 2011 10:17 AM
Lou Tally

I hope someone more familiar with the Quran than I can tell us if there is an equivalent in Islam to the oft quoted line from the Christian Bible, For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

May. 02 2011 10:16 AM
Leonard Steinbach from forest hills

Epitaph

Down in the sea
Lies Osama Bin Laden
The terror he wreaked
We thought was verboden.
But even if he
Will now rot in hell.
When all’s said and done
We sure trained him well.

May. 02 2011 10:15 AM
RLewis from the bowery

The first caller, Karen, is Right!

I'm not a fan of the bible, but there are good reasons why it warns against vengence and revenge. In the end, they are just not good things. All the hooting and hollering just makes us look as bad as the ones we're out to get.

I would gladly let Osama live forever if we could just go back to Sept 10. O's death does not equal all the lives we lost 10 years ago. Not even close.

May. 02 2011 10:15 AM

To the extent that Americans allow our celebratory mood over OBL's killing to perpetuate the currency of the us-versus-them, clash-of-civilizations ideology in our culture, we gain nothing.

May. 02 2011 10:15 AM
Jeff Pappas from Ct.

At least it was a Commando raid and not Drones or Bombs. But why did'nt you take him Alive !?
Why so quick and where are the photos ?
He sleeps with the fishes and that turns me off.

May. 02 2011 10:14 AM
Jerome from NYC

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/STB9DU-1v28?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/STB9DU-1v28?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

May. 02 2011 10:12 AM
Robert from NYC

Let's see if this gets thru this time...

I'm glad bin Laden is dead but I'm already tired of the story. It will go on for weeks if not months and it's time to move on. Let's get out of Afghanistan now.

May. 02 2011 10:12 AM
Skeptikpon from NYC

Wow,

I just heard Brian equate the Iraq War with the "war on terror" in his intro... have we learned nothing?

Hope this doesn't get in the way of your suspension of critical thinking, for your catharsis segment.

May. 02 2011 10:11 AM
Buffalo Dave from Buffalo NY

I won't believe it until i see the Long Form Death Certificate...

May. 02 2011 10:11 AM
Alby from NYC/Monaco

The timing is a setup to divert us from the collapsing Dollar and the value of all our life's work! They could have had him any time. The story of our forces letting him escape from Kandahar is out there. They could have had him any time they wanted, and the timing is now 10 yrs later and $Ts of our hard earned money. This is a vendetta between CIA agents run amok, and Carlyle Group families. We are living in something so medieval here and WNYC plays along to fuel the hyperventilation!

May. 02 2011 10:09 AM
Michael Azerrad from Manhattan

Brian, a huge news event happened and for a change, you weren't on vacation! What does this mean???

May. 02 2011 10:09 AM
Benny from LEs

Apparently we haven't learned ANYTHING from 9/11. Symbols are just symbols and the wool still seems to be over our eyes.

May. 02 2011 10:09 AM
Mark Twian from NYC

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

May. 02 2011 10:08 AM
ian in brooklyn

Buried at Sea? See these are the things that lead to mythology. Please provide the emperical evidence. WTH???

May. 02 2011 10:08 AM
bernie from bklyn

i have 2 questions-
1- i'm not generally a skeptic, but i am skeptical about the disposal of the body "at sea". so we all just have to believe the government when they say he's dead with out any proof at all?
2- if he has actually been killed, then why didn't we just do this 10 years ago? the previous administration caused so much more damage to the american people than anything bin laden could ever do. all those wasted lives of our soldiers, dead forever for no good reason. it makes me sick. keep waving your foam "USA #1" fingers and your chinese made american flags...ignorant idiots are the majority in this country.

May. 02 2011 09:46 AM
Caitlin

I haven't heard anything at all about how this relates to the defense/security musical chairs from late last week; if this was largely a CIA operation, might Leon Panetta's new job be his reward for offing Osama?

May. 02 2011 09:38 AM
Eric K from Brooklyn

It's like out of a movie, the kind of movie the Right Wing partisans in the early 2000's fantasized about so passionately (this is not a partisan attack, this is a rememberance of the rhetoric of the time, forgive me for my bitterness about the days of a person's patriotism questioned for having some disagreements):

the President signs the order and then carries on his duties - including surveying a natural disaster and hoping to attend a historic and emotional space flight, and he even took time out to mock the benign baddie with the curious hair-do and the farce of the birther movement, all the while knowing a crack squad of elite special forces were about to launch a stealth assault on international public enemy no.1. And it all works out.

Amazing.

May. 02 2011 09:26 AM
James in Brooklyn from Brooklyn

I agree that I would have rather seen Bin Laden face a court or a tribunal than be outright killed - instead, he got the death he wanted. It's still a huge victory for the US; hopefully it's the real beginning of the end of these terrible wars. Also, though I wish I was a more gentle, enlightened being, part of me is just glad he's dead.

I think the Arab Spring has been an even more decisive defeat for al Qaeda, however. Largely peaceful demonstrators (except where forced to fight in Libya) have done more for the cause of "resistance" - to the dictators and to the United States' backing of them - in six months than Bin Laden's fanciful armed movement did over ten years. Just in terms of effectiveness, violence has proved incredibly stupid and counterproductive, while good old community organizing and peaceful protest has actually brought change. That's worth noting.

May. 02 2011 09:12 AM
Matt

The overwhelming thought in my mind is that to celebrate such and event is both immature and hypocritical. Tens of thousands o lives have been lost on both sides, and all in the name of religion. Why isn't it more obvious to both sides that in alm

May. 02 2011 09:12 AM
Kelly from mamaroneck, ny

While I feel a small sense of relief at Bin Laden's death, I feel oddly disconnected -- almost shame -- from the jubilation in Times Square. I'm having a hard time dealing with my feelings about the news this morning: pride for the successful operation, relief that few civilians were killed (only the woman who was used as a shield inside the compound, it seems), sadness for Bin Laden's family, who loved him, but no sense of "justice served" or celebration. Only mild relief that an event which was necessary for America has finally passed.

May. 02 2011 09:02 AM
Xtina from E. Village

Wow, Brian, you didn't even go on vacation!

May. 02 2011 09:01 AM
GS from New York City

I'm baffled. I live in NYC. I was here September the 11th, living downtown. Of course, like so many others, the impact on my life was great. And while I'm not a particularly religious person in the sense of faith to a given dogma, I found it demoralizing to witness the President of this country almost gloating as he delivered the news of Obama's death. He considers him self among those faithful to a Christian ethic. Pride over "killing" (his word), cannot possibly be reconciled with the teachings of Christ. Even the deliberate ethic - one that values law as the means by which we strain for justice, was abandoned in favor of quid pro quo, eye for eye. I understand the symbolic value, never mind the political advantage, but to say "Justice has been done." I think he meant revenge. The wide river between the two is, in my view, the breeding ground for hate. And god knows, we don't need more of that.

May. 02 2011 08:54 AM
Scott

Donald Trump is demanding to see the death certificate...

May. 02 2011 08:44 AM
YZ from NYC

Political and religious extremists are not ants. Killing their leader does not make them go away, nor does it make them desist, nor does it lessen the fervor with which they pursue their goals.

This is a magnificent display of the waste of human life, the waste of time, and the waste of money that can be made in the name of revenge.

May. 02 2011 08:36 AM
jk

While I'm grateful Bin Laden has finally been located, I wish he could have been taken alive. I would have preferred seeing him rot in an American prison cell for several months prior to his execution.

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus disgraced himself by issuing a press release praising US military and intelligence forces but omitting any mention of Obama. Priebus reacted as a clueless, buffoonish, partisan hack instead of reacting as an American citizen.

May. 02 2011 08:20 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Yesterday was the Feast of Divine Mercy and the beatification of Pope John Paul II. I had just turned off the replay of the beatification Mass and turned on the radio to hear the Bin Laden had been killed. I can't help but see a connection.

May. 02 2011 08:00 AM
john from office

Last night I felf a great hate and weight lifted from me. I left my bed to go to the scene of the crime, ground zero, and I sang patriotic songs with strangers, tears running down my face.

I was in the middle of 911, I remember the sights and sounds to this day and I believe it really affected me.

I remember seeing the first building on fire, I remember seeing the second plane hit the next tower, I remember seeing people falling, some on fire, I remember the sound on bodies hitting concrete, I remember seeing weeks of photos of the lost, a city shut down, I remember the smell of human flesh burning that lasted weeks if not months.

I feel renewed. May god bless America. Never again, Never forgive, Never Forget.

May. 02 2011 07:54 AM
kumru toktamis from brooklyn

OBL has been succesfully eliminated through a remarkable intelligence operation, as those of us against a war in Afganistan (and in Iraq) have been saying all along for years. We needn't declare war in several corners of the world and galvanize new recruits for Al-Qaida to kill an international criminal; sound and smart intelligence operations would have done the job and did it.

May. 02 2011 07:00 AM