Raid That Killed bin Laden Was Months in the Making, White House Says

Monday, May 02, 2011

Osama bin Laden was killed following a raid that was months in the making, according to senior White House officials who detailed the deadly operation that brought down the architect of September 11 terror attacks.

bin Laden was killed during a 40-minute raid at an elaborate compound in a secluded portion of Abbotobad, 35 miles north of Islamabad in Pakistan.

The three-story structure — believed by White House officials to be custom built for bin Laden in 2005 — had no phone or Internet service and was surrounded by a perimeter with 12- and 18-foot high wall with barbed wire. It also had security gates.

Three families were residing in the home that was valued at $1 million dollars. The town is also a place where former Pakistani Army officers like to retire.

The raid killed an adult son of bin Laden, two Al Qaeda couriers and a woman who was used as a human shield by one on bin Laden's operatives. Two other women were wounded. Other non-combatants at the scene were removed without injury.

Officials said bin Laden "resisted the assault" and was killed in the ensuing firefight.

No American forces were injured in the raid. One U.S. helicopter malfunctioned and had to be destroyed by US forces on the ground. The Pakistani government was advised only after the completion of the operation, officials said.

The key breakthrough in the hunt for bin Laden came, according to the White House briefers, when four years ago post 9-11 detainees helped U.S. forces identify key Al Qeada couriers. But it was not until two years ago the US identified the courier, that along with his brother, was involved with maintaining the Abbotobad compound.

By the middle of March, President Barack Obama and his national security staff were having regular meetings on the mission. The final Presidential order to go operational was given Friday morning.

Before his address tonight President Obama shared the latest developments with President George W. Bush and President Bill Clinton.

The Adminstration sources said travel advisories had been issued for U.S. citizens traveling in Pakistan and that in the immediate aftermath there existed a heightened threat of retaliation against the U.S. and Americans abroad.

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Darnell from Harlem,Ny

This is a joke. This location of where he resided was known nationally...for Christ sake I saw this location in a low budget documentary. America knew where this guy was for a very long time. The question should be...did we just kill him or are we just bringing his death to the masses? Hmmm...

May. 02 2011 12:19 PM
Frances Elfenbein

No "martyrdom" demonstrations possible in the briny deep. " Burial at sea" is probably the equivalent of how the "desaparecidos" of Argentina were disposed of. They were dumped out of helicopters over the ocean. Well done
and good riddance.

May. 02 2011 11:29 AM
Estelle

Q: I just heard that the AP performed some sort of analysis of the DNA to confirm it was him; where did the "control" DNA come from?

May. 02 2011 11:04 AM
TLR from NYC

as someone who lost a sister, i have to admit that i feel happy, relieved, vindicated, and like some justice has been served. I know without a doubt that my sister will never come back, and there is no closure for the pain, but i'm certainly glad he's gone. He had to pay. God bless the soldier that took him out.

May. 02 2011 10:29 AM
Brian from Freehold,NJ

Bush couldn't get it done in 7 years. Obama produces his Birth Certificate (for Trump) and he gets it done. 4 More years!!!

May. 02 2011 10:19 AM
john from office

Last night I felf a great hate and weight lifted from me. I left my bed to go to the scene of the crime, ground zero, and I sang patriotic songs with strangers, tears running down my face.

I was in the middle of 911, I remember the sights and sounds to this day and I believe it really affected me.

I remember seeing the first building on fire, I remember seeing the second plane hit the next tower, I remember seeing people falling, some on fire, I remember the sound on bodies hitting concrete, I remember seeing weeks of photos of the lost, a city shut down, I remember the smell of human flesh burning that lasted weeks if not months.

I feel renewed. May god bless America. Never again, never forgive, never Forget.

May. 02 2011 08:10 AM
Liz from Greenwich Village

It saddens me that we live in a world in which we celebrate in the streets the death of any man.

May. 02 2011 08:01 AM
Louis Sena from Jersey Shore

We will always have a Bin Laden until Israel gets out of the West Bank or we have a Palestine state.

May. 02 2011 07:28 AM
MasterG

This fantastic tale about identifying Bin Laden's courier by torturing unlawful detainees at Guantanamo Bay is supposed to justify not closing the prison?

May. 02 2011 07:12 AM