May 2nd marks 75 years since the first performance of Prokofiev’s children’s piece, Peter and the Wolf. As WNYC’s Sara Fishko tells us, the millions of children listening over the decades knew only part of the story. Listen above to hear Fishko Files.
Read the English translation of Prokofiev's text for Peter and the Wolf here
Walt Disney and Sergei Prokofiev met in Hollywood in 1938. Later, Disney made this promotional film about their meeting. (The man at the piano is an actor, not Prokofiev)
Peter and the Wolf showcased some of the great voices and orchestras of the 20th century. See a list of some of the recordings used in Fishko Files, below.
Peter and the Wolf(s)
- Koussevitzky Conducts Prokofiev: Boston Symphony, Serge Koussevitzky, conductor, Richard Hale, narrator. Pearl 1991. (recorded 1939)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra, Serge Koussevitzky, conductor, Eleanor Roosevelt, narrator. Listen to the recording here. (Recorded 1950)
- Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Mario Rossi, conductor, Boris Karloff, narrator. Vanguard, 1992. (Recorded 1957)
- Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Sir Eugene Goossens, conductor, Jose Ferrer, narrator. MCA, 1989. (Recorded 1959)
- Stadium Symphony Orchestra of New York, Leopold Stokowski, conductor, Bob Keeshan, narrator. Everest, 1997.
- Academy of London, Richard Stamp, conductor, John Gielgud, narrator. Virgin, 1989. (Recorded 1989)
- Orchestra of St. Luke’s, James Levine, conductor, Sharon Stone, narrator. DG, 2001. (Recorded 2001)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, conductor, David Bowie, narrator. RCA, 1978. (Recorded 1978)
- New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein, conductor and narrator. Sony, 1998. (Recorded 1960)
- Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta, conductor, Itzhak Perlman, narrator. EMI, 1996. (Recorded 1986)
Other Music by Prokofiev Used in this Episode
- Romeo and Juliet, excerpt from Suite #2 Op. 64 C. Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Armin Jordan, conductor. Erato, 1992.
- Sonata #6, excerpt from 1st movement, Sviatoslav Richter. Philips Classics, 1998.
- Winter Bonfire, Op. 122, excerpt from “Departure.” The New London Orchestra. Ronald Corp, conductor. Hyperion, 1991.
For more from the speaker in this episode of Fishko Files...
WNYC Production Credits...
Mix Engineer: Wayne Shulmister
Assistant Producer: Laura Mayer
Managing Editor, WNYC News: Karen Frillmann