Good Friday Gospel Hour

Friday, April 22, 2011

Leonard hosts his annual Good Friday gospel hour. This year he'll combine it with a bit of Please Explain, and he'll talk about the history and particulars of gospel music.

Do you have a question about gospel music? Leave a comment below!

Playlist
They Led My Lord Away, Marion Williams (All of My Appointed Time)
The Sun Didn't Shine, Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet (The Gospel Sound)
One Day, Harmonizing Four
Remember Me, Swanee Quintet (Beloved Songs of Easter)
He Arose from the Grave, Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Beloved Songs of Easter)
(I'm Glad) Salvation is Free, Mahalia Jackson (Legend: The Best of Mahalia Jackson)
At the Cross, Clara Ward (Gospel Warriors)
One Day, Angelics and Dixie Hummingbirds (Beloved Songs of Easter)
The Hammer Rings, Mme. Edna Gallmon Cooke (Beloved Songs of Easter)
Remember Me, James Cleveland with the Gospel Allstars
That Day on Calvary, Swan Silvertones (Beloved Songs of Easter)
What More Can Jesus Do?, Morgan Babb and The Radio Four
See How They Done My Lord, Sensational Nightingales (Fathers and Sons)
Jesus, Robert Anderson (When Gospel Was Gospel)

Joe Fitz

Leonard

I have fond memories of listening years ago when you did Gospel Music on WBAI
(mid '80s?)

Do you know of a scene...or any groups
that are performing locally in the classic quartet style.

I live in The Hudson Valley now. I have hosted a blues show at WDST in Woodstock since 1985...but i often program gospel music as well.
I occasionally put on shows in the area.

Please give me a holler
845-658-3327

Many Thanks
Joe Fitz
www.bigjoefitz.com
www.wdst.com

Dec. 13 2011 02:38 PM
HAROLD from New Jersey

Fabulous....nothing today really compares.
I heard the roots of Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell and many more. What a treat. Thanks Leonard

Apr. 24 2011 08:53 AM
Jeannie from Nashviille, TN

I was totally paralyzed by your gospel show. What an education for a Catholic girl - and you put so much research into the show. Thank you, thank you.
I'm an ex-New Yorker 2 yrs. now and oh, how I miss it. So glad I can get you on the computer. Have a nice holiday.

Apr. 22 2011 02:23 PM
antonio from park slope

Great idea and a great show.

Apr. 22 2011 01:53 PM
ZWRthe LES from the LES

Have you thought about doing a show on White Gospel music? I grew up in the South Carolina Piedmont where these praise songs were both a source of and influenced by bluegrass, shape note, old time, etc., and the songs sung in church by Elvis, Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline. I wonder if the genre shared some of the songs of the black church?

Apr. 22 2011 01:50 PM
Douglas from New York, New York

Growing up in rural South Carolina, my grandmother used to play gospel music as we were getting ready for church on Sunday mornings. Her favorite was "Precious Lord, Take my Hand" written by Thomas Dorsey. Here's my please explain question: Can you say more about Dorsey's impact on gospel music then and now.

Apr. 22 2011 01:43 PM
Linda Griggs from Lower East Side

I understand that there's a connection between the Black Sacred Harp tradition and Gospel but I don't have that connecting piece of the puzzle. It might be that it's not the case and I've misunderstood. Do you know?

Apr. 22 2011 01:40 PM
Mike from Inwood

Thanks for posting the source CDs for the music you're playing!

Apr. 22 2011 01:32 PM
Bobby G from East Village

Please explain how and when our host, Leonard Lopate, became interested in Gospel Music.

Apr. 22 2011 01:26 PM
A Listener

Thanks, Lenny, as always for these musical treats.

Apr. 22 2011 01:25 PM